text editor (1 Viewer)

robsmith32

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I"m trying to remember the name of the software, but it's a text editor basically for web developers, that will do syntax highlighting, and indentions, and such that is gpl.
one that does jsp,html, java, asp, but doesn't have a wysiwig interface, just the text indenting/numbering, highlighting.
wanting to say it was notepad+ or something like that.

ok, notepad+.exe is one, but not what looking for.
What are the preferred one's for the programmers here?

Last edited:
I just use the PDT (PHP enabled) version of Eclipse with some plugins, including the HTMLTidy plugin.. Does syntax highlighting and all sorts of things.. HTMLTidy plugin will format your HTML based on the settings you give it..

There's also vim, emacs.. :shrug:

I'm not fond of it but there's jEdit (runs on JAVA). I prefer Emacs myself.

Textpad will do some of the things the OP referred to.

I'm not fond of it but there's jEdit (runs on JAVA). I prefer Emacs myself.
Actually, 'cept for being JAVA based, JEdit is really cool (insane?) and it runs on almost any OS. Make sure and check out all of the plugins, too.

Old school vi dude, here!

Actually, 'cept for being JAVA based, JEdit is really cool (insane?) and it runs on almost any OS. Make sure and check out all of the plugins, too.

Old school vi dude, here!

We may be entering into a mortal battle! Vi vs. Emacs!

I use notepad++ on windows. Others in my office use Crimson Editor. Of course, anyone with a Mac uses TextPad. And now that I'm on Linux, I use gEdit.

Then there's BBedit, Probably one of the best GUI based text editors around. Only for Mac, though.
I also like the BBedit trademark, "It doesn't suck.<sup>®</sup>" :hihi:
But it is $125 and that does.

We may be entering into a mortal battle! Vi vs. Emacs!
Bring it! :ezbill:

Emacs is the definitive programmer's editor.

Vi is handy for quick script hacks but Emacs can't be beat for hammering out lines of code.

have crimsonedit, it doesn't seem too great... I have to be honest, i'm used to the +/- of Visual Studio 2005 Standard for c#,html,web controls.
It's pretty ok for doing the jsp files as html, then renaming them. but doesn't really handle jsp controls. Granted, i'm sure if given the time a custom class to port jsp taglibs it would do pretty well. but think that would also be jumping into some legal water i don't want to drown in.

ps.. tdh, i think edlin should return to it's grave.

pss.. i'm using windows.. and dont' want to load the unix ports so vi and emacs are out.
agree vi is pretty good for scripting. haven't ever used emacs much.. first use reminded me too much of edlin.
Lets not get into a cshell, kshell, bourne shell battle either.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom