Thank you Anthony Davis! (Payton Related) (2 Viewers)

If this is true I have two thoughts:
1. This is why Loomis should not be involved in both franchises.
2. Knowing his heart was drifting from the Saints as Brees aged, Payton screwed this team with the whole Taysom Hill QB thing and wasted a draft pick on Ian Book. He was probably thinking, I can always just get out and not be stuck with these guys in a couple of years.
Taysom looks like Dennis Allen’s guy too during the HC reigns transfer. He’s at least DA’s plan B if Winston doesn’t re-sign and a trade doesn’t happen.

The extra $55 million in Taysom’s contract that totals to $95 million are incentives year to year contingent upon his pass attempts and other QB stat thresholds. It’s not like it’s automatically guaranteed for 2023-2025 if he starts in 2022. Incentive earnings are only tied to individual seasons.

Last edited:
It makes sense that it was considered on a couple of levels. Brees had just turned 40 and was expected to retire and the Saints had no first round pick in 2019. So you let Payton go and turn the page on the Payton/Brees era, but get a few picks for the new coach to potentially go get a quarterback with and start the new era in Saints football.

It makes sense that it was considered on a couple of levels. Brees had just turned 40 and was expected to retire and the Saints had no first round pick in 2019. So you let Payton go and turn the page on the Payton/Brees era, but get a few picks for the new coach to potentially go get a quarterback with and start the new era in Saints football.
That was 2020 when he "un-retired" and came back for one more year. He wasn't retiring directly after the No Call.

That was 2020 when he "un-retired" and came back for one more year. He wasn't retiring directly after the No Call.
That is true, but I think he was also looking at retirement the year before. He had his big 40th birthday party blow out, and I think the plan/expectation was to go to the Super Bowl and then ride off (I think that was definitely the vibe at the time).

But then the no call happened, and there was no way he wanted that to be how it ended, so he came back for one more year...and then one more after that.

That is true, but I think he was also looking at retirement the year before. He had his big 40th birthday party blow out, and I think the plan/expectation was to go to the Super Bowl and then ride off (I think that was definitely the vibe at the time).

But then the no call happened, and there was no way he wanted that to be how it ended, so he came back for one more year...and then one more after that.
^^Tend to agree with this. The league screwed us out of a better sunset ride for both Brees AND Payton.

I like Florio's stuff. He saw the light on the bounty fiasco sooner than anyone in the media...but has his reports on this been backed up solidly? What constitutes an "offer" any more than the "offers" we constantly hear about during free agency or the draft? Someone picked up a phone?

^^Tend to agree with this. The league screwed us out of a better sunset ride for both Brees AND Payton.

I like Florio's stuff. He saw the light on the bounty fiasco sooner than anyone in the media...but has his reports on this been backed up solidly? What constitutes an "offer" any more than the "offers" we constantly hear about during free agency or the draft? Someone picked up a phone?

"There was a deal in place but it had to be super top secret, no one could know about it because it would break so many rules and huge major rules had to first be addressed with fake interviews... but people couldn't know they were fake and it all fell through because of an NBA player."

Florio's article is really something that the more you read it out loud, the dumber and dumber and more ridiculous it sounds.

If this is true I have two thoughts:
1. This is why Loomis should not be involved in both franchises.
Loomis hasn't been involved with the Pelicans since David Griffen arrived and he's doing perfectly fine screwing the team up on his own.

"There was a deal in place but it had to be super top secret, no one could know about it because it would break so many rules and huge major rules had to first be addressed with fake interviews... but people couldn't know they were fake and it all fell through because of an NBA player."

Florio's article is really something that the more you read it out loud, the dumber and dumber and more ridiculous it sounds.

Agreed.

I find it extremely hard to believe that all of this was done within a week of the No Call. Frankly, that’s crazy.

And if Gayle was OK with Payton switching teams in the wake of the No Call, then it seems highly unlikely that she would’ve been deterred by Anthony Davis requesting a trade (particularly when everyone knew he was going to do that anyway).

And in what world does a team trade it’s coach away when it was the No. 1 seed in the NFC and should have been in the Super Bowl? Our “window” was still wide open.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom