Thanks, Obama (1 Viewer)

not2rich

NO State of Mind
Reaction score
No, really, it's the title of this article in The Atlantic. It's an interesting read. I view Obama's presidency favorably, but I never considered his legacy to be one of fighting income inequality. The article makes the case that it is.

A new examination from the Council of Economic Advisers credits the Obama presidency for the most aggressive and successful attempt to reduce inequality in half a century. “President Obama has overseen the largest increase in federal investment to reduce inequality since the Great Society,” the economists write.

One might immediately think to dismiss such a report as shameless self-promotion from the White House. But the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO) reached the exact same conclusion in June. It found that the federal government is doing more to reduce inequality right now than any time on record, going back at least 35 years. The gap between the rich and poor is as wide as ever judging by before-tax income (e.g., wages and capital gains). But judging by after-tax income, the CBO found that income inequality is no higher than it was in 2000, and Obama’s policies have done more to reduce inequality in the last few years than any other time on record.*

In other words, Obama’s economic policies have fought the stubborn forces of economic inequality to something of standstill. How has he done it? President Obama’s anti-inequality crusade has three main pillars.

Obama Is the Greatest Force for Equality in 50 Years - The Atlantic

lades

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
No, really, it's the title of this article in The Atlantic. It's an interesting read. I view Obama's presidency favorably, but I never considered his legacy to be one of fighting income inequality. The article makes the case that it is.
For a Muslim communist liberation Nazi who must of been born somewhere else cause he don't look like us, he's alright.

Reaction score
I'm expecting the wage gap to close even more once the new overtime rules go into effect. That's going to increase wages for those over worked or create some decent paying new jobs.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You should read W's speech at the opening of the MAAHC too https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-the-bill-to-build-it/?tid=pm_lifestyle_pop_b

In a society governed by the people, no wrong lasts forever. After struggle and sacrifice, the American people, acting through the most democratic of means, amended the constitution that originally treated slaves as three-fifths of a person, to guarantee equal protection of the laws. After a decade of struggle, civil rights acts and voting rights act were finally enacted. Even today, the journey toward justice is still not complete. But this museum will inspire us to go farther and get there faster.
Sounds more like Obama than W. I'm usually banging on Obama for being too much like Bush, but in this case have to give W credit for being more like Obama. We do still have a long long way to go. I think the festering BS cropping up in this election is a good resurfacing of a KKK-mentality gasping for air. Hopefully seeing that actually wakes more people up to pick up their shovels and get back to work on burying them again.

OP
not2rich

not2rich

NO State of Mind
Reaction score
You should read W's speech at the opening of the MAAHC too https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-the-bill-to-build-it/?tid=pm_lifestyle_pop_b

Sounds more like Obama than W. I'm usually banging on Obama for being too much like Bush, but in this case have to give W credit for being more like Obama. We do still have a long long way to go. I think the festering BS cropping up in this election is a good resurfacing of a KKK-mentality gasping for air. Hopefully seeing that actually wakes more people up to pick up their shovels and get back to work on burying them again.
W's entire speech was on point.

You know, GWB made the worst foreign policy mistake since Vietnam, but the man spoke out against bigotry and intolerance:

During the 2001 mosque visit, one of several occasions Bush denounced anti-Muslim bias, he stood alongside Muslim leaders and quoted the Quran about evil-doers being ultimately defeated. He insisted that intimidation against Muslims in America would not stand.

“The face of terror is not the true faith of Islam,” Bush said.

On Muslims, Democrats find an unlikely ally: George W Bush | PBS NewsHour

Maxp

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Is this article really saying much when every president since 1980 has done his best to redistribute wealth to the top? This administration has pumped so much money into big banks that any changes in tax rates doesn't matter. I think this is one of The Atlantic's bigger fluff pieces in a while.

Alan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Is this article really saying much when every president since 1980 has done his best to redistribute wealth to the top? This administration has pumped so much money into big banks that any changes in tax rates doesn't matter. I think this is one of The Atlantic's bigger fluff pieces in a while.
Folks tend to gravitate towards their goals.

Those that transcend personal goals, for the betterment of mankind, are often maligned.

P.S. Any English teachers...please call me out if I got the above sentence wrong....

Reason: Son is 8...going on 30...he brings homework that has me asking some very vulgar things.

example:
84+25

Experience of many generations says big on top...little on bottom...right to left.

He brings home a diagram for something that takes 5 seconds on paper, less in the head....to describe how to add two numbers with lines and blocks going everywhere. Here it is DAYS later and I still want to ask....is this a joke?

Far be it for me to not adapt...so if there is a benefit ...explain.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like you mean the Japanese visual multiplication system.

I just use calculators, but I can guarantee that with that method you'll be able to solve 137785 x 9313342 several hours before you'd do it the old way. The bigger the numbers the better the improvement in speed. Pretty much same method, just visualized, but visualized gets faster when it's harder to carry bits in your head.

Alan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Sounds like you mean the Japanese visual multiplication system.

I just use calculators, but I can guarantee that with that method you'll be able to solve 137785 x 9313342 several hours before you'd do it the old way. The bigger the numbers the better the improvement in speed. Pretty much same method, just visualized, but visualized gets faster when it's harder to carry bits in your head.
I am all for that! Those people that wiggle their fingers and solve extreme math equations (I cheat and use a calculator if it's longer than 4 steps of simple math) are fabulous!

Though I caution that the entire body of knowledge available not be compromised by a rigorous training regime possessing a body of knowledge that is contained in one page of infinite reality.

I had tooo.......balance must be maintained...shoot someone else...NOT the messenger!

EDIT: OK....as long as it is an arrow of love.....cupid hasn't been able to hit the wife lately....shifty like a fox she is. :no:

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So summarize, the three pillars are...

1. Obamacare - increased the number of insured. There is some math in there, but really, it's tricky to calculate, since it's hard to predict what insurance prices would have done on their own (i.e. how much they were already increasing) vs new coverages due to preexisting conditions, and the random year to year differences is health expenses. Emergencies aren't on schedule.

2. Progressive tax code - increased EITC, child credit, education credits..

3. Non-tax code items - extended unemployment insurance, advocate increased min wage either federal or state by state / region by region increases, expanded SNAP, spent over $60B on education to help states with decreasing budgets to keep teachers employed,

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's actually a nice legacy, and even more impressive doing it without congressional help for half his time and inheriting a mess of an economy. If we can keep it up for another 4-8 years we might get back to where we were before Reagan.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">splits on splits on splits with the president <a href="https://t.co/IHPgaSt63S">pic.twitter.com/IHPgaSt63S</a></p>&mdash; Simone Biles (@Simone_Biles) <a href="https://twitter.com/Simone_Biles/status/782285627379191808">October 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Even when they all put their right leg out first, instinct kicks in and he has to lead with the left.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom