Thanksgiving Eve

• I rage or have raged

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • I have never raged

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
Tell me you're drying for real trivial pursuit competition without telling me you're dying for real trivial pursuit competition.

I'm drying for real trivial pursuit competition.

Actually, I'm not allowed to play in amateur games, my rating is too high.

It's a sound idea. I totally get it. But like moving the Super Bowl to Saturday, there's reasons, perhaps not the most logical reasons, why it isn't done. If we're home, we are hosting. As a result, we're prepping. If we are on vacation, my preference these years, we have the kids, nature's cocktail blockers.

What? Your kids don't drink? What kind of father are you?!?!?!?

I remember T-giving Eve being a big deal during the college years, becuase you’d had your first taste of being out on your own (if you’re someone who ‘went away’ to college) and Thanksgiving Eve , especially freshman year, was generally the first time you’d come back and see the high school people you hadnt seen in a few months.. specifically, i rememeber a big get-together at that bar in Mandeville that was there forever, Marley’s maybe (?) i forget what it was called, but Chuck you were probably there.. Had a blast that night… But the *next* year, on Thanksgiving Eve, i made what i still consider the stupidest mistake of my life.. Folks were out of town, i was a few days away from turning 19, and had a combination T-giving /Bday party and invited a big group of my LSU friends, along with a few HS friends…. Pulled all the liquor out of the cabinets , decided to experiment with various concoctions and got just s***ty drunk.. then i thought it’d be a good idea to take my friends out for a spin in my dad’s brand new Mustang 5.0 convertible, packing as many as 6 or 7 people at a time into the car and driving down this dead end street in Old Mandeville at top speed, probably 80 or 90 mph on this narrow road in the pitch dark, with the top down on a freezing cold night.. then slamming on the brakes at the dead end…. We did probably 4 or 5 trips like that, but i was so out of it that i dont remember exactly how many.. it was a fun night, overall, but to this day it’s the one example i always think of , of how different things could have been, how i coulda easily wound up in prison, or dead.. Good ole Thanksgiving Eve, lol

DA0E3C05-EC8C-477F-89BB-38B0BB89E9D8.jpeg

It’s hard to ignore the call of 5.0.

It used to be a huge bar night for sure sales wise way back when I was tending bar in a smaller town. Like almost halloween/new years type sales numbers. Everyone that moved away would come back to see family for Thanksgiving and everyone went out to see old freinds they basically get to see once a year.

Tell me you're bad at trivial pursuit without telling me you're bad at trivial pursuit.
Im actually pretty good at trivia. I just wouldn't consider it a rage party type situation. I'd say people that consider that a rage party are really old.....or lawyers haha

I remember T-giving Eve being a big deal during the college years, becuase you’d had your first taste of being out on your own (if you’re someone who ‘went away’ to college) and Thanksgiving Eve , especially freshman year, was generally the first time you’d come back and see the high school people you hadnt seen in a few months.. specifically, i rememeber a big get-together at that bar in Mandeville that was there forever, Marley’s maybe (?) i forget what it was called, but Chuck you were probably there.. Had a blast that night… But the *next* year, on Thanksgiving Eve, i made what i still consider the stupidest mistake of my life.. Folks were out of town, i was a few days away from turning 19, and had a combination T-giving /Bday party and invited a big group of my LSU friends, along with a few HS friends…. Pulled all the liquor out of the cabinets , decided to experiment with various concoctions and got just s***ty drunk.. then i thought it’d be a good idea to take my friends out for a spin in my dad’s brand new Mustang 5.0 convertible, packing as many as 6 or 7 people at a time into the car and driving down this dead end street in Old Mandeville at top speed, probably 80 or 90 mph on this narrow road in the pitch dark, with the top down on a freezing cold night.. then slamming on the brakes at the dead end…. We did probably 4 or 5 trips like that, but i was so out of it that i dont remember exactly how many.. it was a fun night, overall, but to this day it’s the one example i always think of , of how different things could have been, how i coulda easily wound up in prison, or dead.. Good ole Thanksgiving Eve, lol
i would usually prep my college freshmen about going back home for thanksgiving
they weren't quite adjusted to college life (without realizing it) so going back home for thanksgiving is something they really looked forward to as some sort of respite/normalcy
but them and their friends have changed enough that it's usually a bit awkward - the interaction just isn't as 'natural' as it used to be and the kids often get very sad about being caught between two phases and not feeling secure in either

but i do wonder if in these instagram times, if the ability to stay connected mitigates all that a bit

Thanksgiving Eve - total money night to party, great times. Lots of reasons why it makes sense, and people do it different ways at different ages. But I'm curious how widespread it is. Have some people never considered Thanksgiving Eve a party night? Or is it totally a thing everywhere?
By the time you made this post, I had been in bed for an hour already. I now (and pretty much mostly always have) value sleep / rest over partying. I'm one of those. 🤷‍♂️

Never did the Thanksgiving Eve thing.

From like 1987 - 1992, at least the years I was in Nola for Christmas a group of friends would meet at our friends house near Gramercy for the levee bon fires, they were awesome. Some of the best down home Louisiana vittles I've ever had, a lot of the houses in the neighborhood had open houses. All had a ton of food, gumbo, boudin, jambalaya, various seafood....it was awesome.

We also used to go out Christmas night, would almost always start at Le Bon Temp Roule and then wind up in the FQ somewhere....good times....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom