Thanksgiving Food traditions (1 Viewer)

Yes that's literally a roaster. Like @buzd said, use something to lift it off the bottom a little. I have a little rack for mine and I use it to finish pulled pork after getting some smoke first.

Thanks, since I don't have a rack, I'm gonna set the turducken on a bed of potatoes and see how that goes.

That's the same Magnalite roaster I use for my turkey. There's an oval-shaped grate/rack that fits inside that probably got tossed if you're only using it for gumbo. When Schwegmanns discontinued their housewares section, my mom bought a few up - the large one I have was $33.69. :hihi: Box says up to a 28 pound roast or a 25 pound fowl, So you're good.

I start off with it open to roast the top, then 30-45 minutes in put the cover on. Thing's a beast.

*Sidenote - I was hunting through the spice cabinet earlier and found some unopened spices with the Schewegmanns pricetags that I know I'll never use, but haven't tossed. :( 50 cents each.

You're absolutely right! I looked at the bottom of the roaster and there it is, 18 inch Magnalite. I'm definitely using it! Getting it prepped with the potatoes and veg like buzd suggested and see how that goes. Fingers crossed!

You're absolutely right! I looked at the bottom of the roaster and there it is, 18 inch Magnalite. I'm definitely using it! Getting it prepped with the potatoes and veg like buzd suggested and see how that goes. Fingers crossed!
Ha! It's funny how we get it stuck in our minds how to use certain items. I inherited my grandmother's 'white bean' Magnalite pot. She also used it for glazed carrots at every big dinner. She used another pot for red beans, never this one. :hihi: It took me literally years before I could use the white bean pot for chili. Weird, huh?

Once you see how easy it is to cook a turkey in that thing, you'll want to use it every week. $20 turkey and you've got sandwiches for the week. :)

Evidently this is the least expensive thanksgiving dinner ever
Mainly turkey is down to $1.29/lb (I got mine at Costco for $.99)
$.68 per pound at Rouses for the fresh/iced not frozen. I was too late this year to get a smaller, frozen one, so thankful for that low price!

This one = $13 = sandwiches for 1 week + turkey something else for another. :hihi: 🦃

$.68 per pound at Rouses for the fresh/iced not frozen. I was too late this year to get a smaller, frozen one, so thankful for that low price!

This one = $13 = sandwiches for 1 week + turkey something else for another. :hihi: 🦃

I think that's what ours was, too. Turkey gumbo is my favorite part of the turkey.

Mine was expensive as heck (ordered and shipped from Hebert's Specialty Meats), but since it's a special for us this year, I'm ok with it.
The one that I'm cooking today was expensive as well. Free range, no antibiotics, etc...

I did that because family was coming over. Then my sister lost her senses of taste and smell and we called everything off.

I still have an inexpensive whole turkey, and a bone-in breast for when birds rise in price.

Baked Turkey, Glazed Ham, Pork Roast, Cornbread Dressing, Green Bean Casserole, Rice Dressing, Black Eyed Peas w/ Sausage, Potato Salad & Boiled Cabbage.

Chocolate Cake, Cherry, Pecan and Blackberry pies for desert. Yes, I forgot about Pumpkin.

Otherwise, we ain't playin' around here.

Baked Turkey, Glazed Ham, Pork Roast, Cornbread Dressing, Green Bean Casserole, Rice Dressing, Black Eyed Peas w/ Sausage, Potato Salad & Boiled Cabbage.

Chocolate Cake, Cherry, Pecan and Blackberry pies for desert. Yes, I forgot about Pumpkin.

Is that vegan?

my grandfather (pa'w'-pa) used to glaze ham with whatever and dijon mustard. i miss that.

A friend of mine posted this on his FB page. It's a legit photo. It isn't him who did this though. He belongs to a private FB
cooking group. This guy will either burn his house down or be the next Darwin award winner.

wow.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom