Thanksgiving Food traditions (1 Viewer)

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
What do your thanksgiving menus typically look like? I do a turkey and a ham, sweet potato casserole(think Ruths Chris) stuffing, corn maque choux and dirty rice. Sometimes Shrimp mirlton.
For dessert we do pecan pie and apple pie.

what about y’all? Pretty traditional or different?

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
We bought our turkey (13lbs) mostly frozen and put it right in the fridge. If it's not mostly thawed by tomorrow, I'm going to dump it in the sink full of water to speed it up so I can spatch and dry brine it for a few days.

JLaneSaints

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My father in law passed last Tuesday, we had the service for family on Friday, so while my side isn't doing anything, my wife's side is (Only her mother, us, and her sisters family who we have already been around due to her Father.). I have a 25 pound organic turkey from an Amish Farm brining right now, and will be smoking it starting tomorrow early evening for 18 hours.

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
My father in law passed last Tuesday, we had the service for family on Friday, so while my side isn't doing anything, my wife's side is (Only her mother, us, and her sisters family who we have already been around due to her Father.). I have a 25 pound organic turkey from an Amish Farm brining right now, and will be smoking it starting tomorrow early evening for 18 hours.
That's a big bird.

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
I've only ever smoked :rasta: 12-14lb turkeys. 18 hours seems long. What's the temp?

(My condolences)

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Condolences to your loss. Good luck with the turkey. And yeah, 25 pounds is a lot of bird. We're doing a 16 pound turducken. First time for us doing that. We've done turkeys in the past, but wanted something a little different this time around.

18 hour smoke sounds pretty good. I've never done a smoked version.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
I'm guessing that a bird that big might have a stall like a pork butt
Possibly a short one, but I don't think turkeys have the same sort of collagen and fat deposits that need to break down like a pork butt (which causes the stall).

That bird is going to take on a lot of smoke in 18 hours. It seems like too much to me, but I've been wrong before.

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
Possibly a short one, but I don't think turkeys have the same sort of collagen and fat deposits that need to break down like a pork butt (which causes the stall).

That bird is going to take on a lot of smoke in 18 hours. It seems like too much to me, but I've been wrong before.
Every time I cook a bird, it's either done quicker than I thought or it won't hit temp.

When I smoke one I only give it a little wood 😉 at the beginning and then I just use lump charcoal after that. Birds are smoke sponges.

JLaneSaints

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have an electric smoker, only hits 275 as top temp. I've done a 15 lb bird before, took about 12 hours. I will be monitoring it, so if it hits temp early, I'll take it out and do about 5 minutes in the oven before serving.

They say about 40 minutes per pound, and it's not exactly warm weather out (I'm in Indiana). I am injecting it with a mixture of honey, sea salt, white pepper, white wine, and butter. Also using a very, very light butter and brown sugar rub/baste on top.

Using Cherry Wood chips

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
I have an electric smoker, only hits 275 as top temp. I've done a 15 lb bird before, took about 12 hours. I will be monitoring it, so if it hits temp early, I'll take it out and do about 5 minutes in the oven before serving.

They say about 40 minutes per pound, and it's not exactly warm weather out (I'm in Indiana). I am injecting it with a mixture of honey, sea salt, white pepper, white wine, and butter. Also using a very, very light butter and brown sugar rub/baste on top.

Using Cherry Wood chips
To be clear, I'm not criticizing your plan, but poultry always seems to cook fairly fast for me. That injection sounds really nice.

Of course, I generally cook poultry on the hot side. It still enough time to get some smoke on it, and it will make the skin nice and crispy. (I am also going to spatchcock, and not really going for presentation).

I am toying with the idea of making my own butter and whipping some sage and garlic into it for basting.

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score

Using Cherry Wood chips
I remember where you are. Been raining? There's a thin blanket of snow on the ground up here but it'll turn to rain.

JLaneSaints

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I remember where you are. Been raining? There's a thin blanket of snow on the ground up here but it'll turn to rain.

Raining, yes. And forecast has it raining for the first 5-6 hours I am supposed to be smoking (50% ish chance). So I'll be putting one of those pop up canopy tents up. Fortunately, while cold today, tomorrow is supposed to be almost 60 despite the rain, so that should help.

It's the perfect scenario. I'll stay up all night smoking it, head over to MIL house, eat, then claim to be exhausted from staying up all night and go home early to sleep/watch football :p

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm debating if there's any prep I need to do other than just stick the turducken in the oven. The bird is already well seasoned, since I bought it from Hebert's Specialty Meats. I've cooked their stuffed chickens and those are pretty much idiot proof. But with the turducken, I'm not so sure.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
I'm debating if there's any prep I need to do other than just stick the turducken in the oven. The bird is already well seasoned, since I bought it from Hebert's Specialty Meats. I've cooked their stuffed chickens and those are pretty much idiot proof. But with the turducken, I'm not so sure.
Probably not. I'm not sure how it's packaged, but it's probably worth taking it out and letting it air-dry in the fridge for 12-24 hours before you cook it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom