Thanksgiving Food traditions (1 Viewer)

Yuck. I've never understood why people take sweet potatoes and make them MORE sweet. Blech. My wife's family makes bourbon mashed sweet potatoes. They put a LOT of bourbon in them. I'm not really fan of messing up perfectly good sweet potatoes that way either, but at least I can catch a buzz.

I liked them as a kid, but I've since changed how I prefer them. Occasionally I still like a little taste, but now I peel and cube my yams, toss them in olive oil, honey, cinnamon, a little vanilla and a small sprinkle of Tony's and roast them like that.

Can anyone tell me where my facocta springform pan is? I make cheesecake ONCE a year and I can find all my other once-a-year pans BUT NOT THE ONE I WANT! I'm done.

Sounds like it's either in the lower drawer in the back... or at the fakakta store.
I have concluded it either doesn't exist or it's in the last place I'll look.

So, I'm debating what to cook my turkey in. The directions calls for 4 hours covered. 1 hour uncovered. This is the big pot I'm thinking of using. I normally make gumbo and other soups with it. But never used it to cook a turkey. Would it work? Or should I use a shallow pan and wrap in foil?

And it's actually a 16 pound turducken.

20201125_093633.jpg

Last edited:
So, I'm debating what to cook my turkey in. The directions calls for 4 hours covered. 1 hour uncovered. This is the big pot I'm thinking of using. I normally make gumbo and other soups with it. But never used it to cook a turkey. Would it work? Or should I use a shallow pan and wrap in foil?

And it's actually a 16 pound turducken.

20201125_093633.jpg

Any thoughts on cooking a turducken in this pot? Good idea? Not so much? Just stick it in the pot and cook? I'm just gonna wing it, I guess.

Any thoughts on cooking a turducken in this pot? Good idea? Not so much? Just stick it in the pot and cook? I'm just gonna wing it, I guess.

I'm no buzd, but I don't see an issue with using that. In fact, I'm pretty sure that it's a roasting pan, not a pot. So, that's probably what it is for.

Should be fine as long as the bird(s) is above the drippings and not braising. That looks like a heavy pot so you may want to bring it up to temp with your oven so you don’t kill your temp with a cold big heavy pot.

Should be fine as long as the bird(s) is above the drippings and not braising. That looks like a heavy pot so you may want to bring it up to temp with your oven so you don’t kill your temp with a cold big heavy pot.

How would that work, wouldn't the bird already be cold enough to bring the temp down some? Pot first, then bird later or all at the same time?

Also, the bird will be flat on the bottom of the pot. Not sure what I could use to raise it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom