Thanksgiving Food traditions (1 Viewer)

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What do your thanksgiving menus typically look like? I do a turkey and a ham, sweet potato casserole(think Ruths Chris) stuffing, corn maque choux and dirty rice. Sometimes Shrimp mirlton.
For dessert we do pecan pie and apple pie.

what about y’all? Pretty traditional or different?

Usually a fried or smoked turkey, cornbread dressing, oyster dressing (rice), candied yams, fresh green beans with bacon, mashed potatoes and ho-made :hihi: giblet gravy. My wife also makes a sweet potato pie that is to die for.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be home for Thanksgiving, but we are having the same meal for Christmas, in which I WILL be home.

Neither of you have gumbo for Thanksgiving? What yankee state are y'all from? :hihi:

Fried or smoked turkey, gumbo(seafood or just shrimp, chicken, sausage), dirty rice, shrimp mirliton and dirty rice.

Neither of you have gumbo for Thanksgiving? What yankee state are y'all from? :hihi:

Fried or smoked turkey, gumbo(seafood or just shrimp, chicken, sausage), dirty rice, shrimp mirliton and dirty rice.

I usually make a gumbo with the left over turkey and some andouille sausage the day after Thanksgiving and eat that the rest of the weekend.

This year, turducken at the top of the menu. Haven't really decided on the rest. Probably some sort of sweet potato casserole, green peas with sliced sautéed mushrooms, cranberry sauce, French bread and pecan pie.

Fried Turkey, oyster dressing (My mom's recipe, but I make it now), rice and gravy, green peas, cornbread dressing (wife's recipe, I don't make it, but I sure eat it).

Wife's family has a lot more sides we just don't do anymore, but one or two them will be done. Yams, carrot souffle, brussel sprouts, green beans, spinach

We also do a roasted turkey for the drippings for the gravy and the meat for the Turkey and Sausage Gumbo on Saturday.

i've never heard of oyster dressing :shrug:

It's kind of like oysters rockefeller with some french bread soaked in oyster liquor mixed in and baked into a casserole. More or less.

It's kind of like oysters rockefeller with some french bread soaked in oyster liquor mixed in and baked into a casserole. More or less.
that sounds amazing. had some charbroiled and fried oysters friday night. been a while

"Oyster liquor"? Will your war on truth in food labeling ever end? What if I want to get drunk and falsely believe that "oyster liquor" contains alcohol. This travesty must end.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom