Thanksgiving Food traditions (1 Viewer)

Do you put chicken livers in it? Because if you don't, you're doing it wrong.

Frank Davis, who cooked Naturally Nawlins, didn't put chicken livers in his. You know why? Because chicken livers are gross. Stop trying to fancy-up something that doesn't need it.

Frank Davis, who cooked Naturally Nawlins, didn't put chicken livers in his. You know why? Because chicken livers are gross. Stop trying to fancy-up something that doesn't need it.

You just called chicken livers gross and fancy in the same sentence.

And you wouldn't know they were even there if I didn't tell you. And Frank Davis was wrong about a lot of things.

those terms are not mutually exclusive... exhibit a, donatella versace

1605724029461.png

agreed on the frank davis thing

And you wouldn't know they were even there if I didn't tell you. And Frank Davis was wrong about a lot of things.

I once heard Frank Davis on the radio claim that he didn't know why vegetarians refused to eat fish. His claim was that fish have no feelings and basically were as dumb as vegetables and basically were not alive so vegetarians should have no issue with eating them. He then said that "fish are the rutabaga of the sea."

The man had a keen intellect.

Thanksgiving is always weird for us - it's my favorite holiday but my wife's family always has the specter of her father's death (he died in a motorcycle accident just before t'giving when she was in HS)
usually i can leverage other family concerns with her melancholy, but i'm pretty sure i'm going to lose this year
but as long as i get the langensteins crawfish dressing i'll be good - we'll probably try something 'interesting'

-- for the people who don't know this for whatever reason - all liver is gross - chicken liver is especially gross

I kick the whole thing off with shrimp cocktail every year. I’ve got a secret sauce for it that I make only on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Saw an old Emeril show last week and that was exact reason why he did not add it.

I don't like a carb / casserole fest at Thanksgiving. I usually only make one stuffing / dressing. I do fried turkey, sauteed green beans w/ onions and bacon, grilled corn, roasted diced yams w/ honey and cinnamon, homemade cranberry sauce, and then some kind of dressing / stuffing. We've never made oyster dressing in either my or my wife's family, so I'm really thinking of trying it out this year. If not, I'll probably do a traditional turkey stuffing. I haven't made that in a few years. I've been trying to perfect my cornbread dressing the last few, but I can never get it as good as my grandma used to make it. Also got to have pie. Pumpkin is my fav, but not everyone likes it so this year we are doing pecan pie and rum cake.

I save the mac and cheese, shrimp and mirliton casserole, artichoke stuffing (like stuffed artichoke but without stuffing it in an artichoke), and dirty rice for Christmas dinner, which I insist we make the exact same every year.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom