Thanksgiving Food traditions (1 Viewer)

this year will suck.

i'm used to spending it with my in-laws, even after my wife passed i still do, but my mom and brother are staying with me.

of course, she wants to do thanksgiving, blah blah blah.

my mother-in-law can actually cook and bake. plus, i actually like her and the family.

i doubt that i will have green bean casserole, potatoes-au-gratin, or anything worth tasting.

i love my mom (mother-in-law), my sister (sister-in-law, though there are 2, one a lot more so than the other), and even the special people (@antipop ), way more than my "blood" relatives

2020 blows.

Last edited:
It is also a staple for dirty rice.
Didn't know that either. I'm not from these parts originally. We always make either sausage stuffing or oyster dressing. The sausage stuffing is my MIL's recipe and she's from Belgium but I don't think my husband has ever used liver in it. I'll have to ask him.

What do your thanksgiving menus typically look like? I do a turkey and a ham, sweet potato casserole(think Ruths Chris) stuffing, corn maque choux and dirty rice. Sometimes Shrimp mirlton.
For dessert we do pecan pie and apple pie.

what about y’all? Pretty traditional or different?
Reminds me of the work pot lucks we'd have when I was in New Orleans. Man, I miss that. Never ate that well.

The various 'dressings' were my favorite. Like Oyster dressing, shrimp dressing.. Also, I'm pretty sure someone did a shrimp mirliton...

This year will be a bit different because we won't be hosting my wife's whole family and some friends (we usually have 25-30 people). But this was the menu the last few years:

Sous vide turkey with gravy (wife's cousin's wife)
Smoked ham (me)
Oyster cornbread stuffing (me from my BIL's mom's recipe)
Maux Choux (me)
Mashed potatoes and gravy (wife's aunt)
Sweet potato home fries (with cajun spice and cinnamon sugar - me)
Green beans with bacon and vidalia onion (another cousin)
Pumpkin bread pudding (made with croissants - my son)
Pies (pumpkin, sweet potato, apple, pecan - yet another cousin)

This year will be a bit different because we won't be hosting my wife's whole family and some friends (we usually have 25-30 people). But this was the menu the last few years:

Sous vide turkey with gravy (wife's cousin's wife)
Smoked ham (me)
Oyster cornbread stuffing (me from my BIL's mom's recipe)
Maux Choux (me)
Mashed potatoes and gravy (wife's aunt)
Sweet potato home fries (with cajun spice and cinnamon sugar - me)
Green beans with bacon and vidalia onion (another cousin)
Pumpkin bread pudding (made with croissants - my son)
Pies (pumpkin, sweet potato, apple, pecan - yet another cousin)

I would like to know more about the SV turkey and the pumpkin bread pudding (which sounds amazing).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom