Thanksgiving Food traditions (1 Viewer)

We are scaling down now on attendance. I may just do a quick food pickup now. Not really safe doing these parties right now but I’m sure some will be having 40 to 60 at their homes. Shame on them.

For Thanksgiving, nothing changes. Just me, wife and 4 kids. Not traveling, and no one is coming here. We will do Zoom with my parents and brother.

I picked up the bird. In the past, when I ordered from them, the birds were still icy. This bird is fryer ready. I'm not comfortable having this thing in my refrigerator for 3 days but it's here.

I'm using the dry brine from this recipe. I won't use a glaze if I fry. The rain/snow is supposed to stop Wednesday night.

I picked up the bird. In the past, when I ordered from them, the birds were still icy. This bird is fryer ready. I'm not comfortable having this thing in my refrigerator for 3 days but it's here.

I'm using the dry brine from this recipe. I won't use a glaze if I fry. The rain/snow is supposed to stop Wednesday night.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna take mine out of the freezer today. I figure it will thaw in the fridge by Thursday.

We bought our turkey (13lbs) mostly frozen and put it right in the fridge. If it's not mostly thawed by tomorrow, I'm going to dump it in the sink full of water to speed it up so I can spatch and dry brine it for a few days.

My father in law passed last Tuesday, we had the service for family on Friday, so while my side isn't doing anything, my wife's side is (Only her mother, us, and her sisters family who we have already been around due to her Father.). I have a 25 pound organic turkey from an Amish Farm brining right now, and will be smoking it starting tomorrow early evening for 18 hours.

My father in law passed last Tuesday, we had the service for family on Friday, so while my side isn't doing anything, my wife's side is (Only her mother, us, and her sisters family who we have already been around due to her Father.). I have a 25 pound organic turkey from an Amish Farm brining right now, and will be smoking it starting tomorrow early evening for 18 hours.
That's a big bird.

Condolences to your loss. Good luck with the turkey. And yeah, 25 pounds is a lot of bird. We're doing a 16 pound turducken. First time for us doing that. We've done turkeys in the past, but wanted something a little different this time around.

18 hour smoke sounds pretty good. I've never done a smoked version.

I'm guessing that a bird that big might have a stall like a pork butt

Possibly a short one, but I don't think turkeys have the same sort of collagen and fat deposits that need to break down like a pork butt (which causes the stall).

That bird is going to take on a lot of smoke in 18 hours. It seems like too much to me, but I've been wrong before.

Possibly a short one, but I don't think turkeys have the same sort of collagen and fat deposits that need to break down like a pork butt (which causes the stall).

That bird is going to take on a lot of smoke in 18 hours. It seems like too much to me, but I've been wrong before.
Every time I cook a bird, it's either done quicker than I thought or it won't hit temp.

When I smoke one I only give it a little wood 😉 at the beginning and then I just use lump charcoal after that. Birds are smoke sponges.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom