Thanksgiving: Host or Travel? (1 Viewer)

Thanksgiving: Host or Travel?

• Host

Votes: 35 47.3%
  • Travel

Votes: 39 52.7%

• Total voters

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What is your preference for Turkey day?

When I was a kid my parents hosted Thanksgiving exactly once and they hated it.

I know alot of people love hosting and having dozens of relatives over, cooking a mountain of food but I prefer traveling.

Traveling has it's own challenges. Years ago I left work that wednesday. My commute then was about 45-60 minutes. I also left at 2pm.

It took 5 and half hours to get home. Ridiculous

Ever since then I take the day before off and try to avoid the highways if I have to go out.

My preference is usually to travel, because that means I get to be in NOLA for a while.

But this year, we're hosting. My fam and my wife's fam. Twelve people altogether. She's pretty stressed about it but I think the more the merrier, and that it will be great.

She says "Yeah but you're like Clark Griswold in Christmas Vacation."

But I can't choose an answer that fits better. There should be a tacoes option.

I love cooking, but I haven't yet hosted a Thanksgiving. Mostly because my grandparents do it and my grandfather cooks birds way better than I could.

I would prefer to host. I always end up traveling for all holidays except Christmas. My family lives in New Iberia and my wife's family lives in Metairie. We live in Kenner. So, for just about every holiday we get up early, drive to New Iberia, eat lunch, visit for a bit, and then drive back to Metairie for dinner. When we bought our first house years ago, we decided that we needed to have at least one holiday where everyone comes to us and we don't have to drive. We picked Christmas and it's the best because I can cook, entertain and drink and I get to go right to bed without having to drive 4 hours round-trip.

Last year, EVERYONE we knew went out of town for Thanksgiving except my wife's parents. I brinded and beer-can roasted a couple chickens and made my own Thanksgiving spread. It was awesome not to have to rush around! I actually got to watch both football games all the way through!

We host every single year since Katrina. Get a Bounce House for the kids/young-at-heart (bonus: since it is a Holiday, you get it for 2-3 days for the price of 1 day), dress up as Pilgrims and <strike>Indians</strike> Native Americans, and when weather permits play football in the yard.

I'd rather host, but then again we don't have too many people over. Just immediate family. It's great.

Lay on the sofa and fall asleep!

We were supposed to travel to NOLA this year, but plans were changed. Last year we traveled to the Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine, Tx and that was fun. This year we're staying home and hosting ourselves. Keeping it simple with chicken and andouille gumbo, turkey, ham and oyster dressing.

My preference is to mix between hosting and traveling though. When we're hosting, I'll make the gumbo 2-3 days in advance, and the oyster dressing the day before. Usually bake the pies the day before as well. Anything to keep T-day from being a nightmarish drag race.

I'm hosting a small Thanskgiving get together, the weekend before, since I'll be in Jamaica for the actual holiday. So both for me.

No way I would leave the cooking up to someone else on the most important meal of the year. Plus, it's nice that my mom doesn't have to spend the money or worry about the preperation/cleanup.

The night before, my wife and I do all the food prep while drinking homebrewed beer. I get up early to prep the bird and get it on the smoker. Right about the time I get the bird on, my folks show up and get to unpack and settle in. Since most of the food is prepped the night before, dinner is a snap. Our friends get over just in time to drink my beer, eat, and sit down for football.

Absolutely my favorite time of year.

Thanksgiving = best holiday evar

We're hosting this year for the first time. Just immediate families, mine and hers. About a dozen people altogether. I'll get home from work Wednesday afternoon and start helping her prep...get up in morning and start the bird. Looks like the weather's going to be beautiful this year, too... It's gonna be great, football, tons of food, and I can drink because I'm already at home.

Love me some Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving for our family will always revolve around my parents. Kids are all over and everyone makes the effort to pull our family together for the holiday. We travel. All the men stand around a pitt and/or a deep fried turkey. Nice to have a drink, catch up and smoke a cigar outside while the ladies are busy visiting and preparing dishes. Everyone is always in a good mood. Our whole family forms a circle and holds hands for the blessing. It's a great time, and a nice way to show our appreciation for God's blessings.

A little football never hurt either!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom