That call on Davis was crap (2 Viewers)

UFCSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
First of all Davis is a class act and not even close to being a dirty player. But come on...he led with the shoulder and did a text book tackle. Swain lowered his head to initiate the contact...that's not Davis's fault. And as far as a 'Defenseless' player goes...what is Davis supposed to do....let him catch the ball and THEN tackle him? They should've reviewed that play and picked up the flag. But then again...this is the NFL Roger Goodell has created.

Who called him a dirty player? It is up to the defender not to make helmet-to-helmet contact with a WR during a catch. Doesn't matter if the WR ducks down or not. You flat out crazy if you think that wasn't a flag!!!!!

P.S. They would have thrown him out if they thought he was targeting. Remember last week when the CB hit Cooks helmet-to-helmet and got thrown out after New York looked at it? There is a difference between intentional & un-intentional, but both are going to get flagged.

Davis is a class act and in no way is he a dirty player BUT that hit was definitely a flag in today’s NFL. You could see he meant to lead with his shoulder but unfortunately made contact with his helmet to the head of Swaim. Tough break and it does not tarnish the class act that he is, I do not believe he meant it at all, but unfortunately that did deserve the flag in my opinion

Who called him a dirty player? It is up to the defender not to make helmet-to-helmet contact with a WR during a catch. Doesn't matter if the WR ducks down or not. You flat out crazy if you think that wasn't a flag!!!!!

P.S. They would have thrown him out if they thought he was targeting. Remember last week when the CB hit Cooks helmet-to-helmet and got thrown out after New York looked at it? There is a difference between intentional & un-intentional, but both are going to get flagged.

What I was saying is that a hit by Davis and a hit by Burfict from come from two different places.

Davis is a class act and in no way is he a dirty player BUT that hit was definitely a flag in today’s NFL. You could see he meant to lead with his shoulder but unfortunately made contact with his helmet to the head of Swaim. Tough break and it does not tarnish the class act that he is, I do not believe he meant it at all, but unfortunately that did deserve the flag in my opinion

But that's where I think the rule needs to be changed (and it won't). If the defender does all the right things but the offensive player initiates the helmet to helmet contact... I think the flag should be picked up.

By the letter of the law, it was a penalty. That being said, I have long been a proponent of making that a penalty against the offense. Ever since the league made it clear that they wanted to eliminate those types of blindside tackles/hits, offenses have been taking advantage of the rules. In the "good ole days" those passes would not have been thrown because QBs knew if they did, they would get their receivers killed. Nowadays, they will run WRs through zones and into danger forcing LBs and Safeties to either allow the catch or take a penalty. If the league were to penalize offenses for those hospital balls, they will stop throwing them.

If the uniforms were reversed, I’m wanting a penalty. I can’t be mad at that call.

I think Davis handled it with absolute class. Moments after he took a knee, it looked like he shrugged off the ref like, “no, I’m praying for this dude, I’m not going anywhere”

First of all Davis is a class act and not even close to being a dirty player. But come on...he led with the shoulder and did a text book tackle. Swain lowered his head to initiate the contact...that's not Davis's fault. And as far as a 'Defenseless' player goes...what is Davis supposed to do....let him catch the ball and THEN tackle him? They should've reviewed that play and picked up the flag. But then again...this is the NFL Roger Goodell has created.

I can't say I know the rule specifically, but yeah the TE totally lowered his body/shoulders/head, and it seemed to me HE determined how he was going to be hit.

If he had time to make those moves, I don't see how he can be termed a defenseless receiver.

(and to be honest, awesome awareness and reaction by the TE to catch the ball and brace for impact)

All DD did was BRACE FOR THE IMPACT and led with his shoulder.

(I looked at the video on ESPN's website quite a few times. and in no way, no how did DD do anything "intentional" to hurt the TE.)

Yea, I just don't know what you're supposed to do in those situations, where...as a defender...a receiver gets the ball thrown to them right in-front of you, and you're both moving at each other at full speed. The only thing DD could have done was either jump OUT of the way, as to avoid contact, or pull up and let the receiver truck him.

Like one of the other guys said...I don't think there is enough liability shared by the offense for these kind of bang/bang plays. There is a difference between a defender running across the field and spear tackling a ball carrier who's established possession of the football, and a ball carrier that drops their head into a text book tackle and causes helmet to helmet...particularly when the defender can not reasonably avoid contact.

The holding call on MT13 that negates a Murray TD was worse
It’s looking like EVERY GAME PLAYED in this “new” NFL has several of these suspect calls or calls made which may have been due to the offensive player moving in some unsuspected manner where you just can’t score the hard but clean hit. These Refs....... I rewatched a bit of our game to hear the public announcers call and saw the CATCH by Ginn Jr. during our second drive(?) I believe and that was certainly a catch and just thinking the ball touched the ground vs seeing it clearly hit the ground and help “CREATE” the catch , well THAT’s a whole different story to me! Ginn had that ball cleanly as could be with what may have been contact with the ground of the ball but it didn’t help him secure the catch, so there’s just always going to be some bad calls and missed calls and BTW; The ending of the cowgirls/Jets game had about 8 flags thrown on all consecutive plays and in the end? The ball was placed where it had begun with the same down and distance as it started! We’re living and watching a game either getting better over time or it’s going to over-regulate itself with poor officiating at that! When we WIN IT ALL THIS SEASON, I may have to take some kind of “break” from the action or rather in-action of this non=sense but only AFTER WE WIN IT ALL! ( I DO believe we WILL, TOO!)

I, for once in what seems like forever, was not overly annoyed with the officiating in the game today. They let both teams play. The holding call on Mike, was holding. Maybe it wasnt enough to change anything, but I cant argue with it too much. The call on Davis, it had to be made. The guy went limp and looked like he tore ligaments in his knee from the lights going out. I dont think Davis did anything intentional, and Im not sure he couldve avoided it much, but a play like that, its going to get a flag.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom