That single back run up the middle short yardage play (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I must admit, at certain times it becomes very predictable about when the Saints will run the ball. Am I just imagining this?

It seems that when we have the single back in short yardage the chances we will just hand the ball off and run right up the gut go up tremendously.

I don't know the analytics. I'd be glad to be wrong. Does anyone else have the same feeling, that in short yardage situations Payton really likes the single back set with a hand off up the middle?

It seems like a bad tendency.

Last edited:
Yeah. First down. Ingram up the middle for one yard. It’s pretty predictable.

Is it an inside zone run? If so, it's pretty much bread and butter for this offense and I don't think it's use is restricted to third and short.

And maybe credit the Eagles whose DL were doing a hell of a job.

Also, I don't think I'll second guess the coaches who also had the cajones to go to that play on fourth and goal. These guys know their job.

You can’t abandon that play just because it isn’t working. It keeps defenses honest and helps set up defenses for play action.

It is predictable. Watch the the other team stack 7-8 guys in the box because they know it's coming - especially when Ingram is lined up in the backfield. What has seemed to work this season is when they (rarely) play action pass off of this.

When our O-line was 100% we were pretty much always getting 3-4 yards off that play whether they knew it was coming or not. With Peat down to 1 hand, there was penetration by the defense too often. I wouldn't be surprised if we run a jet sweep with Ginn this week though when he goes in motion.

Its like the last series by Saints.
First 2 tries nothing.
3rd try 13 yards.
But that 13 yards from Kamara prevented the Saints from ever having to punt the ball back to the Eagles. To say that the Eagles were expecting a pass there would be an understatement.

That was one heck of a play call.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom