That Taysom quote…. (1 Viewer)

Since 2020 Payton has given him $38.5 million in guaranteed money ($16m in 2020 and $22.5m in 2021). And he's not a starter at any position. That's just stupid.
That’s very true, but TH7 has played a handful of positions. He’s a bonafide chest piece. Which, in SP’s eyes is priceless. Plus, Nyheim Hines is the third highest paid RB, who sits behind Jonathan Taylor. Some contracts seem ridiculous to fans, but not the coach.

Exactly! When his usage is in the red zone of course he's going to a higher number of TD's. But we need to get into that zone first and that's where we've been struggling.

$10 million a year is a top 10 TE contract or an elite WR#2, low end WR#1 contract. If you can't understand an every down position player like that would help us more than a gadget player that only sees a relatively small number of snaps then there isn't any point of continuing the conversation.
For the past couple of years, TH7 was a HUGE part of us converting much needed third downs (when our offense became stagnant to a point), in order for us to get to the red zone. That is what SP saw and what you failed to see. You can’t win in this league, if you can’t convert third downs. Look at what we are struggling with now……converting third downs. We were well into the third quarter last night before we converted one.

I agree and if I was Seattle I would definitely have Wilson as more important to future team success than Pete.

Only thing that may make him available is if Russell still wants out and those hard feelings that he had earlier in the year haven't eroded. If he tells the organization he wants out and doesn't want to be there then I can definitely see him becoming available and Sea asking for their king's ransom
I agree with everything you said. I think what many people (Saints fans) are forgetting is that Russell Wilson can force his way out of Seattle if he wants to. I don’t care if Seattle’s front office wants a “king’s ransom”. If Russ is done playing in Seattle then it doesn’t matter what the front office would like to get. Remember, Russ has the no trade clause so he has say so in where he goes. Not to mention him and his agent pretty much stated their intention to leave Seattle this past off season when they narrowed down his landing spot to 4 destinations.

So the real question is, where does Russ really want to play and what Coach would he really like to play for. To recap, the 4 teams he mentioned were the Raiders, Bears, Saints and Cowboys. So let’s clear this up. Both the Bears and Raiders will be looking for a new head coach next season, and Dallas just paid Prescott. Which leaves the Saints as the leader in the clubhouse if you believe Wilson’s agent.

As for all the “we’re in cap hell” and can’t afford Russ, let’s be honest. We’ve been in cap hell for going on 5 years now. Yes, ML will have to shed some money to get Russ. Which is why I could see us giving up a couple of 1st rounders, and a player like Armstead or Peat. I can also see us parting ways with Cam Jordan. In other words, Mickey can make it work.

I don’t have a crystal ball and I don’t have any inside information but I’d be shocked if we didn’t go after Russ this off season and actually land him.

Is their speculation he is leaving Seattle or is this just guessing his off-season goes crazy and he demands a trade or something?
I thought Rodgers was the one being closer to leaving his current team.
No that's definitely not speculation. Wilson was unhappy with the organization earlier in the year and he admitted a lot of it was frustration with how the previous year played out. And it wasn't just the organization from a management perspective, he also addressed the team and players twice regarding the team's play. Rumors since then have said he has made up with the team and would like to stay in SEA, Pete was quoted as saying they are not trading Wilson, yada yada yada. What it's going to boil down to is if he truly wants out and a wants a change of scenery

Plus, Nyheim Hines is the third highest paid RB, who sits behind Jonathan Taylor. Some contracts seem ridiculous to fans, but not the coach.
I don’t think that’s accurate.

His extension was only 3 years, $18.6 million, with a conservative $6 million signing bonus.

His cap hit never even gets to $7 million in any season, and only gets close to that in the final season, when his dead cap # would be pretty small, so there is a good chance he is cut, or restructures.

Hines also has more rushing/receiving yards than Taysom has rushing/receiving/passing yards (with Hines appearing in 1 less game), and a a comparable yards per touch average.

I don’t mean to say that Hines is a better player than Hill, but I don’t think that his contract vs production is a favorable comparison to Taysom (yet). It is very possible that Taysom starts to get more involved in the offense, which could change things.

Last edited:
No that's definitely not speculation. Wilson was unhappy with the organization earlier in the year and he admitted a lot of it was frustration with how the previous year played out. And it wasn't just the organization from a management perspective, he also addressed the team and players twice regarding the team's play. Rumors since then have said he has made up with the team and would like to stay in SEA, Pete was quoted as saying they are not trading Wilson, yada yada yada. What it's going to boil down to is if he truly wants out and a wants a change of scenery
What it really boils down to is if someone is stupid enough to pay the astronomical asking price for him.

Every player on every team has a trading price, its just that for some the cost is so high that its unfathomable that anyone would pay it. That's why they give off the appearance that they're untradable.

For the past couple of years, TH7 was a HUGE part of us converting much needed third downs (when our offense became stagnant to a point), in order for us to get to the red zone. That is what SP saw and what you failed to see. You can’t win in this league, if you can’t convert third downs. Look at what we are struggling with now……converting third downs. We were well into the third quarter last night before we converted one.

Know what's an even better help converting 3rd downs? A top 10 TE or an elite #2 WR. They also help on every other offensive down and 3rd and longs, which have been killing us this year. It's bizarre that we're paying so much to a gadget player when we have so many other holes that should be a bigger priority.

Know what's an even better help converting 3rd downs? A top 10 TE or an elite #2 WR. They also help on every other offensive down and 3rd and longs, which have been killing us this year. It's bizarre that we're paying so much to a gadget player when we have so many other holes that should be a bigger priority.
Yeah, that would be great to have a consistent top 10 TE or elite #2 WR, but we didn’t have that unfortunately. So, that’s where TH7 can into play. But I’m sure you were pretty P'Oed every time TH7 converted a third down/4th down, caught a TD at TE, blocked a punt, etc!!!! Where you screaming at the TV “DANG NABBIT”!!! “Why give it to the gadget player”???? “We should’ve thrown it to the inconsistent TE or UDFA #2 WR”!!! “I hate that the gadget player kept the drive alive and scored the TD”!!! Is that how it went down??? Nah, I’m sure you were fine with it, as long as he was getting paid pennies.

I agree and if I was Seattle I would definitely have Wilson as more important to future team success than Pete.

Only thing that may make him available is if Russell still wants out and those hard feelings that he had earlier in the year haven't eroded. If he tells the organization he wants out and doesn't want to be there then I can definitely see him becoming available and Sea asking for their king's ransom
If they get a new coach that will run a Russ-friendly offense, consult him on roster decisions related to offense and make him the undisputed face of the franchise, Wilson will happily stay in Seattle.

Pete Carroll is 71 years old and there is talk up here he might be gone if the Seahawks keep losing. Carroll would have to want to leave, but if Paul Allen thinks he can keep Wilson if Pete leaves, then Allen will encourage Pete to do so. Rumor has it that he might want to go rescue USC and then retire after bringing the Trojans back to contender status.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom