That ugly taste that the refs gave us the game (1 Viewer)

Let's not forget the first gift TD to the Cards. Should have been a holding call on Card's #11. He grabbed Harpers jersey and kept him from making the play to stop the RB. It's more obvious in the video.

We held a lot to. The refs weren't calling it though. I actually thought the refs were consistent the whole game, they were just letting them play.

We held a lot to. The refs weren't calling it though. I actually thought the refs were consistent the whole game, they were just letting them play.

Yeah, a lot of holding goes uncalled but it stands out more, and tends to draw more attention, when it's in the area of the ball carrier, where the focus is concentrated. There was clearly holding on Harper. Calls get missed, but in a post-game analysis of poor officiating, especially when the premise is that the Saints were handed the win, it deserves mention.

There was one penalty that was waved off..

I can't remember when it was (3rd or 4th qtr) but the refs held a meeting and picked up a flag on us for defensive holding or PI... I do however, think that Snead got robbed of a TD catch... the angle to the roughing on Brees was horrible, so we have to assume that the refs were right there and saw it... Both coaches lost challenges in the game.. I'm just thankful we won.. sure wish we would've gotten the right call in the Denver game. It will be interesting this off-season to see if the competition committee does anything to clean up this crappy officiating.

I can't remember when it was (3rd or 4th qtr) but the refs held a meeting and picked up a flag on us for defensive holding or PI...

That was a call that was going to go against Webb. He and the WR were doing a little hand-checking, and picking up the flag was the right decision.

That was a call that was going to go against Webb. He and the WR were doing a little hand-checking, and picking up the flag was the right decision.

It also looked like the receiver ran the wrong route since the ball was sooooo uncatchable.

The ball was trapped on the turf. No touchdown was the right call. The majority of the calls went the saints way when it counted. Cursed for a lower draft pick.
Not even close..his hand was under the ball, ball never moved until the end when the Cardinal player ripped it out. That my friend was a TD.

And how many times did we see the "pass interference" on Olsen that first week we played the Panthers? I couldn't even find it with a google search.
You mean Vaccaro turning around and swiping for the ball. Doing everything a DB is suppose to do and got called for a BS PI?!

Refs wanted to go home. It's the holidays, give um a break. This is a part time job for them.

Could have quoted any number of posts to make this point, but I chose yours since it alludes to disinterest on the part of the refs.

I've seen nearly every Saints game since 1982 and seven years worth of games in person when I had tickets in the terrace. And I've observed the NFL as a TV-watching fan along the way. Past coupla years, I've enjoyed watching old games either online (the current commish only seems to like to zap games played during his tenure) or on discs. With this experience, I move on to the next thought:

Today's referees can't call a game smoothly to save their lives. Granted, before instant replay, close calls along the sideline or in the end zone sometimes didn't end up being called correctly on the field. But, the refs seemed to know what the heck they were doing a lot better than now. Certain calls didn't feel like a trip to a courtroom like they do now. Hope I get the names right, but guys like Jerry Markbreit, Fred Wyant, Red Cashion, Ben Dreith, Jerry Seeman, etc. made calls confidently on the field without the feeling of having "big tech" or "big NFL" over their shoulders. When a ref made a call, there was a bit more of a feeling of "okay, the authority has spoken" to the call than now, where the human refs seem to be half-heartedly calling the game, unsure of what the rules are, and deferring to the video replay as many times as possible.

With today's bunch, I just can't quite figure out whether it's a matter of "can't" or "won't" call a game smoothly.

Could have quoted any number of posts to make this point, but I chose yours since it alludes to disinterest on the part of the refs.

I've seen nearly every Saints game since 1982 and seven years worth of games in person when I had tickets in the terrace. And I've observed the NFL as a TV-watching fan along the way. Past coupla years, I've enjoyed watching old games either online (the current commish only seems to like to zap games played during his tenure) or on discs. With this experience, I move on to the next thought:

Today's referees can't call a game smoothly to save their lives. Granted, before instant replay, close calls along the sideline or in the end zone sometimes didn't end up being called correctly on the field. But, the refs seemed to know what the heck they were doing a lot better than now. Certain calls didn't feel like a trip to a courtroom like they do now. Hope I get the names right, but guys like Jerry Markbreit, Fred Wyant, Red Cashion, Ben Dreith, Jerry Seeman, etc. made calls confidently on the field without the feeling of having "big tech" or "big NFL" over their shoulders. When a ref made a call, there was a bit more of a feeling of "okay, the authority has spoken" to the call than now, where the human refs seem to be half-heartedly calling the game, unsure of what the rules are, and deferring to the video replay as many times as possible.

With today's bunch, I just can't quite figure out whether it's a matter of "can't" or "won't" call a game smoothly.

My post was more in jest, but I agree. It seems like these guys are just mailing it in, in terms of doing their jobs. Either they don't want to think on the job, or they don't know what they are there for. Its quite pathetic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom