N/S The 00s San Diego Chargers (1 Viewer)

I just read an article on Bettis that kind of argues against him making the HOF. During his days in Pittsburgh, he averaged 3.93 yards per carry while the other running backs on the team, running behind the same line, averaged 4.38 per rush and many of them you wouldn’t even know their names.

I just read an article on Bettis that kind of argues against him making the HOF. During his days in Pittsburgh, he averaged 3.93 yards per carry while the other running backs on the team, running behind the same line, averaged 4.38 per rush and many of them you wouldn’t even know their names.
He was popular because he was "heftier" than other runningbacks. If he was the same size as other runningbacks with the stats he put up, he would not be in the hall of fame

After they let Jerome Bettis in, I just assumed they will let all above average players in
This. The HOF is becoming like the MVP award, losing it's value and doesn't stand for anything besides a popularity contest. Man, now that I think of it, football is becoming a joke like the NBA. I can't watch that awful sport, refs blowing a whistle every 20 seconds for some baby poo penalty. "Oh no, you touched me with your elbow, now I must fly 15 feet and get a penalty" garbage.

Eli shouldn't be in the HOF. Hall of fame shouldn't be based on Super Bowl appearances/wins. Was the NFL player career a hall of fame type/all time great? Eli never was that.

Eli shouldn't be in the HOF. Hall of fame shouldn't be based on Super Bowl appearances/wins. Was the NFL player career a hall of fame type/all time great? Eli never was that.
I agree..... but we both know voters will put him in.

HOF should be designated for GREAT players, who were top 3 at their position for 4-5+ years

QBs are judged by Super Bowls pretty heavily when it comes to HoF. For those reason, i believe Eli gets in and Rivers struggles to gain traction.

To be fair, the OP never said anything about Rivers. He may have been talking about College and Canadian Football HOFer Doug Flutie.

To be fair, the OP never said anything about Rivers. He may have been talking about College and Canadian Football HOFer Doug Flutie.
I was referring to Rivers. I don’t think he’s a first ballot, but he’ll get in after like three or four rejections.

He was popular because he was "heftier" than other runningbacks. If he was the same size as other runningbacks with the stats he put up, he would not be in the hall of fame

I just think ya'll are being tough on Bus Bettis. He was a bruiser. Bruisers typically don't have a high YPC. Mike Alsott for example finished with a career 3.7 YPC. Bus finished with 3.9. Eddie George was a workhorse bruiser and he finished at 3.6. John Riggins was at 3.9.

Bettis usually finished around 4 YPC which puts him inline with other workhorses of his era like Curtis Martin who finished at 4. The more carries a RB gets the more likely their average per attempt goes down unless the back is like Barry Sanders who frequently reeled off long runs.

The man was name All Pro 3x, Pro Bowl 6x, Walter Payton Man of the Year. I never thought I'd be defending Jerome Bettis and I agree with your premise of just good RBs making into the HoF. But to me that's guys like Clinton Portis, Steven Jackson, Jamal Lewis, Ricky Watters, Fred Taylor, etc.

As a former charger fan, that 14-2 team in 06-07 should have won the Superbowl. They had the Patriots beaten but McCree just had to fumble the game winning interception. They definitely would have beaten the Colts the next week (they always owned Manning) and the Bears in the Superbowl.

Norv Turner was a horrible coach. Merriman was never the same after the Titans targeted his knees and he tried to play out the rest of the 07-08 season.

"Former"...? Did you switch to the Saints because of Brees?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom