The 10 Most Heartbreaking Postseason Missed Fieldgoals Since 1990 (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
interesting list here

http://www.footballperspective.com/...ing-postseason-missed-field-goals-since-1990/

Some familiar names show up; Vanderjagt (twice), Doug Brien, Billy Cundiff, Blair Walsh and most of all; Lin Elliott.

Lin Elliott definitely belongs at #1, having re-watched that Chiefs/Colts playoff game in recent memory. 1995 was probably the best Chiefs team in the last 25 years. That was the year they undoubtedly should've made the SB. Elliott missed 3 field goals which was completely out of character for him being so automatic all year. Lake Dawson also dropped what would've been the game winning TD in the end.

Some others I thought were worth mentioning just in the last decade -

2009 Colts/Jets - Nate Kaeding was the highest paid kicker this year and he missed 3 field goals in this game, 2 of which were deep in Jets territory. If he makes just 1 or 2 of them, this is a completely different game.

2010 Eagles/Packers - David Akers missed 2 field goals in this game (but made one). If he hits just one of those misses, they could've played for another field goal on that last drive instead of having Vick throw to the end zone for a pick. Green Bay did not play all that impressive in this game to walk away with a win.

Not sure how they missed Gary Anderson in 1998 NFC Championship game that sent it to OT.

That Viking team was a scoring juggernaut that was WAY ahead of their time in offensive production and Anderson hadnt missed a kick all year.
They had a 15-1 regular season record and had crushed the Cardinals in the divisional round.
There Anderson was... a 2 minutes left, and Minnesota had a 7 point lead and...
he missed it.

And Atlanta won in OT to move into the Super Bowl.

**Edit** Sorry, just saw that this was "postseason." Still, it broke my heart.

Not sure how they missed Gary Anderson in 1998 NFC Championship game that sent it to OT.

That Viking team was a scoring juggernaut that was WAY ahead of their time in offensive production and Anderson hadnt missed a kick all year.
They had a 15-1 regular season record and had crushed the Cardinals in the divisional round.
There Anderson was... a 2 minutes left, and Minnesota had a 7 point lead and...
he missed it.

And Atlanta won in OT to move into the Super Bowl.

It may be because the Vikings had multiple opportunities to shut the door on them in that game. I don't think Gary Anderson deserves the blame he often gets from fans for that game. It should've never came down to that. The Vikings completely lost all momentum as that game continued on.

I re-watched that game a few years ago and I seen a number of things that the Vikings screwed up on -

Randy Moss had a dropped bomb in the 4th quarter that could've been an easy TD.

Denny Green whom was a good coach in that era made a bad decision to kneel on it with time left after the Falcons last TD. He allowed momentum to dictate the end of that game and instead played for OT.

Vikings had the ball in OT and had a chance to really end that game but their offense stalled.

IMO, I've always thought that Falcons team was severely underrated. I used to hate the 49ers so much back in the day (and still do) because they were the Goliath to all of us in the old NFC West and no one could beat them. The Saints at the height of their power in the Mora years still had to play second fiddle to the 49ers. Just when you thought the 49ers were done going into 1991, they replaced Montana with Young who continued to whoop our butts.

That Falcons team did the unthinkable by beating the 49ers twice; including in the playoffs. They were David to the Goliath. This was always a massive achievement to me, cause the Saints in the Dome Patrol years could never do it. We had a 12-4 record in 1992 and couldn't even get a bye week in the playoffs due to the annoying Niners going 14-2 only to go on and get spanked to Dallas in the NFCCG.

I have never believed the Vikings would've beat Denver in that SB. Minnesota's defense was falling apart late in that season and the Falcons were truly a bad match up with them cause of Jamal Anderson. They struggled with him in the NFCCG and Terrell Davis likely would've run all over them. I think the game would've been close early, but Denver would've embarrassed them as the game progressed. The Falcons really exposed a lot of their flaws in the NFCCG and they don't get much credit at all for that.

**Edit** Sorry, just saw that this was "postseason." Still, it broke my heart.

I'll always respect Carney for how he handled the situation after that game. He stood in front of the media and answered every question. He didn't blame anyone or make any excuses. He went out there and took all of it.

I feel that some fans are a bit too hard on him after that game. Carney still ranks high on the all time list for kick percentage.

Denny Green whom was a good coach in that era made a bad decision to kneel on it with time left after the Falcons last TD. He allowed momentum to dictate the end of that game and instead played for OT.

I remember saying that's the reason I'll never want Green to coach the Saints. The Vikes had two timeouts and the ball on
their 40 yd line. 2 passes and they are back in FG range. The Vikes defense was also gassed at that point in the game.They couldn't stop Jamall Anderson from picking up huge chunks of yardage on the ground. Jackie Slater was a co-host on the
ESPN post game show. His comment about this decision was "What in the world are you thinking"

HeavenlyVelvetyArmyant-max-1mb.gif

Scott Norwood anyone? It’s not even a close second in my eyes compared to losing a Super Bowl on the line as time expired.

Scott Norwood anyone? It’s not even a close second in my eyes compared to losing a Super Bowl on the line as time expired.

Heartbreaking in the sense it was the SB game winning kick on the line. But certainly nothing to fault him too much for. 47 yd fg on a wet field isn't a gimme.

Heartbreaking in the sense it was the SB game winning kick on the line. But certainly nothing to fault him too much for. 47 yd fg on a wet field isn't a gimme.
Well like you said it’s stated to be the most heartbreaking and considering this was the best chance in 4 Super Bowl chances in a row id say this is as heart breaking as it comes as there’s zero guarantee the rest would’ve won the Bowl.

Well like you said it’s stated to be the most heartbreaking and considering this was the best chance in 4 Super Bowl chances in a row id say this is as heart breaking as it comes as there’s zero guarantee the rest would’ve won the Bowl.

Honestly, Parcells & Belichick absolutely took Levy to the woodshed and back in that game. The fact it came down to a fg is on Levy. But that's besides the point. Norwood likely still has nightmares about it to this day.

I remember saying that's the reason I'll never want Green to coach the Saints. The Vikes had two timeouts and the ball on
their 40 yd line. 2 passes and they are back in FG range. The Vikes defense was also gassed at that point in the game.They couldn't stop Jamall Anderson from picking up huge chunks of yardage on the ground. Jackie Slater was a co-host on the
ESPN post game show. His comment about this decision was "What in the world are you thinking"

Yeah, this is the truth. They struggled with Anderson all day. They had no answer for him which is the key reason I do not think they would've beat the Broncos. Denver would've gameplanned to use TD on them. The Broncos would've ran the ball and set up play-action to move up and down the field on them. All the "Minnesota would've blew out that Denver team!" talk is more evidence of the 90's Broncos often being underestimated opponents who were a lot better than they get credit for. They barely even get credit for winning their first SB over Green Bay! Fans blame it on Holmgren instead, despite them having absolutely no answer at all for Terrell Davis (They won a SB where Elway was almost a non-factor as he had a bad game).

2 time outs and he had more than a minute left on the clock, but chose to knell on it. Green allowed momentum to dictate the course of that game and all the momentum was in favor of the Falcons.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom