The 10 second runoff (1 Viewer)

saintfan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me the 10 second runoff at the end of the 1st half. I am not talking about the number of seconds that the referees let run off the clock, but rather the rationale of the runoff. The issue with the clock is water under the bridge. I have seen 10 second runoffs for a penalty committed by the offense, and for a player injury. Those I understand. However, on the play in question, neither player committed a penalty nor sought to delay the game. There was no injury. It was a simple play where the placement of the ball was in question. It was under two minutes, so neither coach could call for a review, it should have been a booth review.

It seems to me that the referees were responsible for getting the call correct, but they assessed the 10 seconds against the Saints for their (refs) error. In all honestly, I do not know why there was a runoff. Can somebody with more knowledge explain it.

I think the logic is that since the clock is a running clock at minimum 10 seconds would be lost just to mark the ball, get everyone set, and then snap the next play. So unless a timeout is taken, it's fair to take off 10 seconds under these circumstances. I'd have to go back and see how long it took Drew to run that 4th and 1 play right before the review was called, but it probably was around 10 seconds.

Last edited:
I think the logic is that since the clock is a running clock at minimum it 10 seconds would be lost just to mark the ball, get everyone set, and then snap the next play. So unless a timeout is taken, it's fair to take off 10 seconds under these circumstances. I'd have to go back and see how long it took Drew to run that 4th and 1 play right before the review was called, but it probably was around 10 seconds.
this ^^^^^^

but......... there was 52 seconds on the clock when he caught that pass and the refs let them run another play using up around 10 seconds, then instead or resetting the clock as rules dictate they do, then ran another 10 seconds off the clock from the spot the clock was incorrectly at after they ran another play

if done correctly by competent officials the clock should have been set to 32 seconds and start on the refs whistle ready to play

this ^^^^^^

but......... there was 52 seconds on the clock when he caught that pass and the refs let them run another play using up around 10 seconds, then instead or resetting the clock as rules dictate they do, then ran another 10 seconds off the clock from the spot the clock was incorrectly at after they ran another play

Yes that was the refs' error. The point of review when Michael Thomas was down had the clock at :42 I think. So if they would have applied the rule correctly, it would have been set at :32 instead of the :16 or so they set it at.

Yes that was the refs' error. The point of review when Michael Thomas was down had the clock at :42 I think. So if they would have applied the rule correctly, it would have been set at :32 instead of the :16 or so they set it at.

Correct. They ran off from the time where Brees lines up and sneaked the ball forward for a first down. They ran this because the ref didn’t give a Thomas a first, so Drew was trying to get a 1st in hurry up while the Texans were not set.

The refs blew it dead to review at 26 seconds — as Brees took the snap.

However, the play being reviewed was over at 42.

So we lost the time for actually attempting to run a play and an extra 10 seconds.

Cost us points and nearly the game.

backing up even further ... what was the foul that even required a run off?

backing up even further ... what was the foul that even required a run off?

There was no foul.

It's not that complicated.

1. If the clock is supposed to be running and gets stopped for a review there is a 10 sec run-off. (Thomas catches the ball then we are at the LOS ready to snap with no runoff isn't fair to the other team. It takes about 10 secs to get there. Think about how long it took us to spike the ball on the last drive.)

2. They forgot to reset the clock to when Thomas caught the ball before taking the runoff. That was just a dumb inexcusable mistake.

Last edited:
Correct. They ran off from the time where Brees lines up and sneaked the ball forward for a first down. They ran this because the ref didn’t give a Thomas a first, so Drew was trying to get a 1st in hurry up while the Texans were not set.

The refs blew it dead to review at 26 seconds — as Brees took the snap.

However, the play being reviewed was over at 42.

So we lost the time for actually attempting to run a play and an extra 10 seconds.

Cost us points and nearly the game.
This is pretty much it in a nutshell, except you missed the best part. The refs screwed up the spot to begin with which caused them to stop the clock at what looked like two-three seconds after the snap of the next play which didn't count & then run it off from there. So what they did in essence was screw the Saints out of at least 15 seconds by correcting their initial screw up to begin with. Dah? Why does this whole thing make me feel dizzy?

Yeah I don't understand that one either. It's like the refs get to say, "We're not sure if we spotted the ball right so we're going to check to make sure and then take some time away from you just for the lulz."

I think it should be dead ball and then start the clock on the whistle. No runoffs. Unless we're on defense at the time. The by all means. Take off the time you need.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom