The 2017 Byrd Conundrum (1 Viewer)

Bruh....Save that ****. The guy doesn't have an elite bone in his body. When you throw the term "elite" around I think of Eric Berry and Earl Thomas. Byrd couldn't carry either of those guys jocks to practice. Any kind of "elite" talent he may have had stayed behind in Buffalo. Dude can't even luck into an impact play here.

Hyperbole much?

how bout cut the guy who thought he was worth all that dough :covri: :rant:

He was unanimously considered the best FA that offseason when he was considered the best FS in the league. Practically the entire league wanted him. We had to pay so much for a reason. Injuries and scheme changes were his downfall. I also dont wanna hear the talk that we should have kept Jenkins instead of resigning Byrd.

Do you remember how many blown coverages and missed tackles Jenkinss had his last year here? He was a clear liability and had the lowest grade of any starting FS iirc. After he wasn't resigned and started to do well in Philly a reporter asked him about the difference. Jenks even said he stopped trying his hardest bc he got complacent here.

At the time, the move to switch Jenks for Byrd was a great move by anyone who followed the NFL bc we were literally swapping out onw of the worst FS for one of the best. You cant blame the Saints for Byrds injuries or Jenks playing well after he left. We would most probably be in much worse FS shape had we kept Jenks.

So, all of the press & experts who touted him as one of the best safeties in the NFL were wrong. Injuries are seldom self inflicted, impossible to predict the occurrence or the recovery. When he was signed there was almost universal surprise & praise. You can't "lose" talent or "leave it somewhere".

Just having elite talent doesn't always relate to elite performance(in ANY endeavor). Even elite talent struggles to shine when put into an untenable situation. the fastest fish will always lose a tree climbing race.

Whatever, you may continue to "carry jockstraps", i'll just enjoy the fact that i get to watch Saint's games, where we almost always have a chance.

A

You missed my point. Obviously, when he was signed he was the #1 rated free agent in football and was going to be a huge pickup. Unfortunately, 3 years later, due to injury and whatever reasons, he's a shell of his former self. He's no longer an "elite" anything, so to continue to tout him as such is misguided.

He was unanimously considered the best FA that offseason when he was considered the best FS in the league. Practically the entire league wanted him. We had to pay so much for a reason. Injuries and scheme changes were his downfall. I also dont wanna hear the talk that we should have kept Jenkins instead of resigning Byrd.

Do you remember how many blown coverages and missed tackles Jenkinss had his last year here? He was a clear liability and had the lowest grade of any starting FS iirc. After he wasn't resigned and started to do well in Philly a reporter asked him about the difference. Jenks even said he stopped trying his hardest bc he got complacent here.

At the time, the move to switch Jenks for Byrd was a great move by anyone who followed the NFL bc we were literally swapping out onw of the worst FS for one of the best. You cant blame the Saints for Byrds injuries or Jenks playing well after he left. We would most probably be in much worse FS shape had we kept Jenks.
I never said the signing in itself was bad,its the contract I was pointing too,..also,why did Jenks become complacent ??? That would be interesting to know....

That's the thing: He has the leverage, so theres no way he'd take a cut unless he has a real come to Jesus moment over the amount of money he's stolen these past three years. I think it's either stay or cut.
You're acting like he purposefully injured himself to make easy money. He got legit hurt, he didn't pull and Albert Haynsworth and just show up. Heck, after the injuries, it's a testament to his character that he's putting 100% effort in

I didn't like the exchange at the time. Your entire post is predicated on ONE SEASON. Byrd had a TREMENDOUS rookie year, and continued to be good. I'm not denying he was a good FS. But he played in only 11 games his last year in Buffalo, we knew about the injury concern. Meanwhile, we have Malcom Jenkins who was a key piece of our Super Bowl winning team. He was a solid Safety. He went on to Philly where he was one of the best Safeties in the NFL, and he played in every single game! Obviously nobody's clairvoyant, and couldn't predict each player's future, I get it.

We traded a known quantity for an unknown injured player, for a little higher price tag.... and it bit us in the ***

I didn't like the exchange at the time. Your entire post is predicated on ONE SEASON. Byrd had a TREMENDOUS rookie year, and continued to be good. I'm not denying he was a good FS. But he played in only 11 games his last year in Buffalo, we knew about the injury concern. Meanwhile, we have Malcom Jenkins who was a key piece of our Super Bowl winning team. He was a solid Safety. He went on to Philly where he was one of the best Safeties in the NFL, and he played in every single game! Obviously nobody's clairvoyant, and couldn't predict each player's future, I get it.

We traded a known quantity for an unknown injured player, for a little higher price tag.... and it bit us in the ***

But he never once played a full season of games for us.

And if Byrd's performance this year is an indicator of what he's got left going forward, I'm happy with the healthy version of Byrd we're seeing now.

Byrd will be back. He is finally completely healthy and the last few weeks have shown that he is finding his niche in this defense. As the CB situation has somewhat rounded into form Byrd has been able to play differently.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom