The Nascar Thread (3 Viewers)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Speedweeks kicks off today in advance of next Sunday's Daytona 500 (2/17, 2:30PM EST FOX). The Clash is this Sunday, 3pm, and the duels are 7pm next Thursday, 2/14. Note also the Arca race will run this Saturday at 4pm on FS1.

What else for 2019:
- New rules package: Note that the Daytona 500 will run under the old package, but after that we will go to tapered spacers (including at Daytona and Talladega where they won't run plates anymore), bigger spoiler, bigger splitter, wider radiator pan, and "aero/brake ducts". It's all similar to the 2018 All-Star package and designed to reduce horsepower but improve stability and throttle response . . . with the hope of reducing the aero advantage that the leader has had at the intermediate and speedway tracks under the old package. https://m.nascar.com/news-media/2018/10/02/2019-rules-packages-announced-monster-energy-series/

- New post-race inspection procedure: Post-race inspection will happen immediately following the race and will include first and second place, and other randomly selected cars. If you fail post-race you are disqualified and scored as last in the race and stages. So if the winner fails, the second place is declared the winner for all intents and purposes . . . any stage points for DQ'd cars will go to the next car on the pylon. This will mean that the race winner will be confirmed by weekend's end, rather than having to wait on inspection and penalty procedures under the old rules (often not announced until Tuesday or Wednesday).

- Notable team/driver changes:
Martin Truex and Cole Pearn move over to JGR proper at the 19
Kurt Busch to the 1 at CGR; Jamie Mac running the Daytona 500 (in the 40) and then retiring to the Fox broadcast roster
Daniel Suarez moves over to the 41 at SHR
Ryan Newman runs the 6 full-time at Rousch
Daniel Hemric (rookie) will be in the 8 at Childress
Matt DiBenedetto will be in the 95
Kasey Kahne and AJ Allmendinger are not racing
Chad Knaus and Jimmie aren't together, Chad to the 24 (Byron) and Kevin Meendering comes over from the Xfinity 1 car (E. Sadler) to lead the 48 crew

Schedule:

Are they doing the stage racing this year?
I went from watching every race to now just Daytona, Talladega and road courses

No wonder I am having trouble selling my 1/24 nascars. Have over 200 that I had in my game room.

I just watched some compilation footage I never watched before of THAT day. It's still so surreal how all of that unfolded. I didn't even remember Michael Waltrip won. A friend of mine who was a big DE fan never followed NASCAr again. I followed for a while but am not familiar with any of the current drivers anymore.

Well, the Cup cars were on the track this weekend at Daytona, William Byron (24) took the pole and will start on the front row with Hendrick teammate Alex Bowman (88).

The best part was seeing the Mustangs out there with the Camaros. After decades of defending not allowing Mustangs and Camaros in Cup racing because 'pony cars' aren't historically allowed, Nascar finally has America's most popular "sports cars" racing in the series. Toyota now looks silly fielding the Camry against Mustangs and Camaros, and is already moving the Supra up through the ranks. I expect we'll see the Supra in the Cup series not later than 2022.

Jimmie Johnson won the Clash after wrecking the leader and strongest car (21) in an incident that basically took out 80% of the field. At first Jimmie said he thought Menard came down on him but later said it was "an aggressive side draft" - which is what it looked like to me. Jimmie made a bold move and left so little room that the aero forces at play pulled the two cars together. Maybe not the worst mistake in the world, but I think it was still Jimmie's fault - and it wrecked errabody.

"Jimmie Johnson causes multi-car wreck at Daytona"

I'll take Things I've Heard Before for $800, Alex.

"Jimmie Johnson causes multi-car wreck at Daytona"

I'll take Things I've Heard Before for $800, Alex.

He did it again! Single car but he wrecked Kyle on that same sidedraft move

Who y’all got today? I think it’s gonna be a Ford. I’m looking at Blakey, Menard, and Logano.

I’d take Menard at the sports-book for the better odds.

Who y’all got today? I think it’s gonna be a Ford. I’m looking at Blakey, Menard, and Logano.

I’d take Menard at the sports-book for the better odds.

No Stenhouse, Jr? I think - not odds, just straight up - I might I like him best overall.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom