The 2019 Open Championship (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I am up late and was channel surfing and stumbled on The Golf Channel's coverage of The Open Championship from Royal Port Rush in Northern Ireland. Old-timer and native son Darren Clarke was -2 through 3 holes.

As of this time on Thursday morning it looks like the hot putter is the real key to victory.
Webb Simpson is making absolutely everything on the greens and it doesn't matter if he is 20 or even 40 feet away from the hole. Obviously he is leading so far.

If he keeps that part of his game going for all four days, it will be a 'done deal' for him.

Obviously, no sooner I post that^ I open the stream at work and the guy makes his first bogey of the day.
The same thing happens when I watch the Saints play live. :covri:

I must say that without the usual squally & blustery weather, that course is a real pushover for those pros.

If the conditions stay this docile, the winner will certainly be double digits under par.

And once again as soon as I comment about the easy conditions the heavy winds & rain get cranked up. That's 'par for the course' for me. :hihi:

The one thing that always bugged me about the Open Championship is how much the luck of the draw determines the winner. This morning was quite easy for the early players. The weather is going to keep all the later groups posting over par rounds for Day 1. That has got to be frustrating! It's extremely rare that all the Open players will face the same kind of weather each day of the tournament.

I'm not sure it will be harder for the afternoon players. The rain made the course much softer and at the moment it's sunny (obviously the rain can come back at any moment).

I heard the commentators say on one of Koepka's shots that earlier in the day his ball would have rolled over the green rather than sticking pin high as it did.

I haven't been watching long enough to know if the wind is much different now than it was earlier. But even if the wind is blowing a bit more, it might be offset by the softer, more receptive, greens.

I'm not sure it will be harder for the afternoon players. The rain made the course much softer and at the moment it's sunny (obviously the rain can come back at any moment).

I heard the commentators say on one of Koepka's shots that earlier in the day his ball would have rolled over the green rather than sticking pin high as it did.

I haven't been watching long enough to know if the wind is much different now than it was earlier. But even if the wind is blowing a bit more, it might be offset by the softer, more receptive, greens.
I did notice that the sun did come out again. And yes, it may be something that will happen off and on throughout the tournament. That is the nature of the Open Championship. It's the luck of the draw. It's rare for the golf tournaments in the US to have weather that varies so much for the field.

The Open is in no way bad. It's just different, and it requires a unique mindset to keep the emotions under control.

The rain is pounding on Tiger's group as he starts his round.
He'd probably prefer to have better conditions for a chance at #16.

At +8 it looks like Rory will be struggling to give the hometown folks something to cheer about. His local knowledge and experience on that course didn't seem to help much.

At +8 it looks like Rory will be struggling to give the hometown folks something to cheer about. His local knowledge and experience on that course didn't seem to help much.

Rory was all over the place today.

1 bogey
1 double bogey
1 triple bogey (18th hole)
1 quadruple bogey (1st hole)
2 birdies
12 pars

Terrible start and finish.

David Duval will be back on Golf Channel coverage on Saturday as he posted a +19 today.

EDIT: Duval started with 2 birdies but really derailed at the 7th . He shot 13 on the par 5 7th hole. Octuple bogey?

Last edited:
Rory was all over the place today.

1 bogey
1 double bogey
1 triple bogey (18th hole)
1 quadruple bogey (1st hole)
2 birdies
12 pars

Terrible start and finish.
7-over on two holes is never a recipe for success in any tournament, anywhere.

Tiger bogeys the easiest hole on the course with a three-putt.
He's nowhere near in the form he needs to win this week. :(

Tiger's round has officially turned into a train wreck on the very next hole. :covri:
The look on his face is one of wishing he was back in Florida.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom