The 3R's file another appeal in Tom Benson's competency case. (1 Viewer)

TheNOLAGirl

Editor, Writer, Podcast Host and SR Twitter Ninja
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Saints owner Tom Benson's estranged family appeals to Louisiana Supreme Court | NOLA.com
The estranged family of Saints and Pelicans owner Tom Benson continued to challenge the 88-year-old's mental competency by filing an appeal to the Louisiana Supreme Court on Wednesday (March 23).

Benson's daughter Renee Benson and grandchildren Rita and Ryan LeBlanc -- who Tom Benson disavowed last year -- argue the patriarch is in mental decline and being manipulated by his third wife, Gayle, and Saints executives. The estranged relatives filed a lawsuit last year seeking to take control of Benson's estimated $2.2 billion empire including the sports franchises

These leeches need to just go away!
#TEAMTOM

I don't know anything about law but when he won, didn't he put things in place to protect himself from an appeal. His legal team had to know an appeal was coming.

They have the right to appeal. But it only gets harder to prove their case as time goes on.

I sincerely hope they are throwing tons of money at a futile endeavor.

"How dare Tom Benson be manipulated by his third wife and Saints executives! He should be being manipulated by us, his spoiled, spurned offspring, I tell ya!"

They have the right to appeal. But it only gets harder to prove their case as time goes on.
But the likelihood of it actually being true increases as the years pass. Some day, they'll be right. I only hope that they're gone themselves before the courts find in their favor.

"How dare Tom Benson be manipulated by his third wife and Saints executives! He should be being manipulated by us, his spoiled, spurned offspring, I tell ya!"

Exactly.

But the likelihood of it actually being true increases as the years pass. Some day, they'll be right. I only hope that they're gone themselves before the courts find in their favor.
It doesn't matter. He was declared competent. Whatever his wishes were at that moment, are accepted even if he completely loses his mind tomorrow.

I'm no legal scholar, but what they are trying to overturn was the ruling that he was found competent by two of the three doctors and the judge at the time of the hearing. And the appellate court's upholding that ruling. The Supreme Court would have to retroactively declare that he was incompetent at the time of that ruling. This has zero chance of happening.

It doesn't matter. He was declared competent. Whatever his wishes were at that moment, are accepted even if he completely loses his mind tomorrow.

I'm no legal scholar, but what they are trying to overturn was the ruling that he was found competent by two of the three doctors and the judge at the time of the hearing. And the appellate court's upholding that ruling. The Supreme Court would have to retroactively declare that he was incompetent at the time of that ruling. This has zero chance of happening.

Last discussion I had with an attorney about this case was at the three doctors phase and I asked the same thing about appeals. He only had to have been competent when he made the decision to disown them. He can lose his **** any time from then on out and it's irrelevant.

I'm not a perfect grandkid. But at least I can say that I'm not gonna keep dragging my grandma to court in her final years to try and prove that she's crazy.

It's a low bar, but I manage to clear it. Unlike some.

It's a writ application to the Supreme Court, not an appeal. Most are denied without a hearing because it's discretionary on whether the court wants to accept the writ and have a hearing.

They sure thought he was competent enough to settle the Texas portion with him. They can't have it both ways. He's either lucid enough to make proper decisions like that or they need to give the Texas assets back because he isn't of sound mind.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom