The 49ers holding the WRs before half. (1 Viewer)

Saints should have used it in playoff loss to Niners in 2011 on winning TD play. Winners would have had to kick FG which would have sent game into OT rather than giving up game winning 15 yard pass to Davis.

I have been advocating this strategy ever since Tulane gave up a winning20 yard TD to Ole Miss in the eighties with a 3 pts lead. My brother called me immediately when it happened to alert me that someone finally used it.

You know, just when I thought there was no way on earth I could be more angry about that game, you found a new one. Congrats to you. :9: :angryrazz: :mwink:

I think SF's drive took about 8 plays, they started at their 20 with 1:32 on the clock. If we had held each and every play and each play averaged 7-8 seconds, they would have gained 40 yards (been at our 40) and either had to try a 57 yard field goal to tie as time expired, throw a hail mary, or ran out of time.

Now I want to go drink on a Monday morning, thanks for that. :plus-un2: :covri:

In all seriousness though, a defensive penalty with less that 2:00 to go in half or game should result in the time being put back on the clock. That's the only way to stop this.

No. No more rules. No more penalties. Please.

I get that -- but there is a rule in place that is being exploited to the disadvantage of the offense. You have to address this in some manner or it will eventually cost the team a game. Penalties are supposed to deter illegal activity -- not promote it. It's broken and the easiest way to fix it is to remove the advantage of intentionally fouling.

tackle the wr's at the line,it only costs you five yards, not even that if its a PI call. vikings should have done that against the lions yesterday in the last half minute. purple wouldn't have given up the big gain just before the game tying fg. I could see teams doing this in a few very late game/half scenarios. not very exciting viewing, big time ratings killer. league will come up with a solution if this gets out of hand, methinks.

Oh the pain! Was aware of this approach before THAT 2011 game, and was yelling to anyone listening from before the Niners first snap that we should have used this on every play. Still scarred by it. As crazy and creative as G3 was, I'll never understand why he didn't go in this direction to get us our second ring. Then the NFL would have changed the rule, and punished us in some terribly unfair way the next year. Uh, er, wait...that sounds familiar.

I would never want to win a game like that! I don't care if it was for a Super Bowl win because that is absolute garbage!

I am sorry but Chip Kelly needs to be suspended and the 49'ers should be fined to dissuade another team from purposely doing it again!

BTW, the referee watching from the sideline and didn't throw the flag should be canned immediately!

As several people have said above, this will be changed, a rule will be put in place to put time back on the clock or a TD will be awarded to the Offense, when it costs one of the "chosen" teams a game. If this type of thing happened to a "chosen" team in a high profile game, you can be certain the league would make somebody pay.

If the Saints were to try to pull this, it would not surprise me to see a Ref award the offense a TD. The league may send out a memo on this one this week.

Yep. Easy to see how it could be used at the end of a half, but I was trying to imagine how it could be used at the end of a game.

So if the premise is that it's better to give up the first down but just five yards (insuring against a long gain or a touchdown) because the offense has limited time and the clock is more valuable than the yardage, I suppose that it could also be used when you're defending a lead and have just kicked off with less than 20 seconds or so left not the clock. The offense is going to try to get a completion or two to get close enough for a hail mary. The defense could take a couple of holding calls to milk the clock a bit without giving up enough yardage to really help the hail mary.

The same thought could potentially be applied to keep a team from getting in field goal range (if there is very limited time on the clock - something in the order of 15 seconds or less).

Defensive penalty....untimed down...

It looks like it really only works in very certain situations...of course we found ourselves in the prime one lol

Next time you will see stacked wrs if we in same spot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Smell a rule change coming in the future..

I don't begrudge a team that finds a loop hole... but I feel strongly that there should never be a scenario where a defense benefits from purposefully committing a penalty. It is a loophole that should be closed immediately.

The game can't end on a defensive penalty so I would be surprised if the rule changes to prevent the half from ending on one.

I would never want to win a game like that! I don't care if it was for a Super Bowl win because that is absolute garbage!

I am sorry but Chip Kelly needs to be suspended and the 49'ers should be fined to dissuade another team from purposely doing it again!

BTW, the referee watching from the sideline and didn't throw the flag should be canned immediately!

I disagree. I wish it had been us that used it right before the rest of the league figured it out and banned it.

Dude had to tackle Fleener or else that was 6.

yep, and if Cadet had gone to the end zone instead of cutting out to the flat, might have been six there too. he had the LB beat, and all of the other defenders were tangled up.

I disagree. I wish it had been us that used it right before the rest of the league figured it out and banned it.

Hmm, but what you are forgetting is that if it had been us the 49ers would have been awarded a TD, Sean Payton would have been suspended, and the team would have been fined $500,000.

Hmm, but what you are forgetting is that if it had been us the 49ers would have been awarded a TD, Sean Payton would have been suspended, and the team would have been fined $500,000.

I doubt it. There's too much butt-hurt paranoia around here.

We would have been praised and the rule changed.

Why not take a cheap shot on our QB. Same result, ½ the distance.

Because the plan was to keep Brees from having anyone to throw the ball to. With your logic, he would have already completed the TD pass :hihi: before the cheap shot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom