The 49ers holding the WRs before half. (1 Viewer)

Umm we should do this holding thing if a team needs a TD and is a considerable distance away from our endzone and there is only 13 seconds or so left (just enough time for two plays). Hold them and take the 5 yards but waste 8 seconds or so.

I think the way it plays out is that a good QB would recognize it (in this end-of-game scenario we're discussing, not the way it was used at the end of the half today). To hold the WRs, the DBs would have to be in fairly close/press coverage - rather than the prevent you would expect. If the QB sees this, he can throw it right away to minimize time lost. I don't think it would ever be eight seconds - that's a lot of time in that scenario.

There's also the risk that the WR gets free and is behind the defense.

I'd have the TE and 3 WRs act like they are all running a route. Sneak a RB out of the back field
And pass it to the RB. He would have at best a single LB in him. Decline the penalties.

Would offsetting penalties reset game clock?

USA Today calls it "diabolical and ingenious"

49ers defense uses diabolical and ingenious tactic to prevent Saints touchdown | For The Win

everyoneholding.0.gif

How do you know when you're absolute trash on defense and your coach has no confidence in you?

When he has your entire secondary go full Brandon Browner than play actual defense.

If they don't add a rule about this... defenses that are up multiple scores could do this intentionally down the whole field....

You are up by 14 after scoring with 50 seconds to go.... touchback and opponent is at the 25. 75 yards to go divided by 5 yards is 15 penalties. Each penalty runs off 5 seconds. So basically you can burn 1 min 15 seconds off the clock by holding every play.

I imagine the league issues some guidance on this immediately.

Much like intentional grounding. Could do something like award an untimed down.

This. I think a defensive penalty within say 30 seconds should give the offense an opportunity for an untimed down if they desire.

It works for most defensive penalties letting them try to jump the snap on a last second FGA, hold the recievers, or commit PI. I think you need to address all defensive penalties within the last seconds of a half.

Doing this up and down the field is a terrible idea. If you can expect it then you'll just get beat deep. Only works when receivers aren't ready and get tackled.

Probably not gonna get changed as it happened in one of the lowest profile NFL games this week. Just waiting for it to happen again in a bigger game before rule changes are discussed.

Also its honestly kinda dangerous too. Theres an art to going down when being tackled and having off the ball, unexpected tackles could get someones foot/knee caught in a bad position.

Good move by them to try and win, but its not a good loophole for the game.

In real-time I only saw Fleener get straight tackled. On the replay, I saw it across the board and immediately figured that had to be coached to do in that situation.

It's screwed up, but brilliant. Saved 4 points from the scoreboard (not that it mattered in this particular game, but could in a closer game). I have it on the level of John Harbaugh taking that safety at the end of the Super Bowl while up 5 or whatever (while burning an additional 8 seconds) and doing a free punt as opposed to trying to punt from the backline of your own endzone (risking a block/TD recovery).

this almost reminds me of hack a shaq in the nba, but here its give up 3 rather than 7 but like in the nba it seems like a loophole to be closed quickly.

Once the RB broke free, Brees should have attempted to run it in for a TD.
Our WRs should have laid on the defenders at that point because we would get a final play.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom