The 6th Annual SR.com "Official" Mock Draft 2nd Round: Complete (2 Viewers)

I have Atlanta and San Francisco's picks respectively. Will post both in a few.

Atlanta selects:
Gavin Escobar, TE, San Diego State

6866914.jpg

Gavin Escobar Draft Profile

Amerson definitely fits what Seattle likes in a CB. There are a number of those big, lanky, physical corners in this year's draft. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Saints take a guy like Amerson.

Yep. CB isn't a huge need, though Amerson should at least run fourth, if not likely 3rd on the depth chart, but I had him as a late first/early second round talent and a clear scheme fit, so I couldn't pass up on him.

I very, very nearly went Justin Hunter though who was second on the board I sent in. Hunter at 6'4 with good deep speed would have been a great fit alongside Harvin, arguably a better fit than my boy Hopkins who I wanted more. Hunter just wasn't "graded" as high as Amerson for me.

Write up later, still doing work

bengals! we traded 2nd picks. silly watt.

You know, I read your post. I really did. But my moronic mind read Bengals, and saw the Raven, and thought it was a Bengal. Easter was waaay tougher on me than I thought it was gonna be this year.

You know, I read your post. I really did. But my moronic mind read Bengals, and saw the Raven, and thought it was a Bengal. Easter was waaay tougher on me than I thought it was gonna be this year.

lol.

Making the pick at work, so a detailed write up will come when I'm off!

The Bengals select Kiko Alonso, ILB, Oregon!

Kiko-Alonso.jpg

I like his instinsts from the videos that I've seen. We need players with speed, and hustle and he has it.
Analysis

Strengths
Possesses a developed, athletic frame with good muscle definition throughout. Rare athleticism for the position, which may result in a move to outside linebacker in the NFL. Highly instinctive defender despite his relative inexperience. Gets a jump on the ball and shows terrific straight-line speed, agility and a burst to close. Possesses long, strong arms to make the wrap-up tackle and flashes explosive hitting ability. Good flexibility and balance when dropping back into coverage and has the athleticism to handle responsibilities in man coverage. Good awareness in zone and possesses good hand-eye coordination and ball skills, overall. Surprisingly stout at the line of scrimmage, using his arm length and flexibility to get under the pads of blockers and create a pile for teammates to close on the football. High effort in lateral and downfield pursuit. Versatile defender who could prove to be a moveable "chess piece" for a creative defensive coordinator. Just starting to scratch the surface of his potential...

Weaknesses
Only emerged as a full-time starter as a senior... Was not often asked to take on and shed blockers at the point of attack in this scheme, though when he did, Alonso's aggression and arm length were usually effective. Is a bit of an agitator on the field. Is very willing to play to and through the whistle when he can. Plays with reckless abandon, showing no hesitancy in leaving his feet or crashing into the pile, concerns only because of the fact that he's struggled a bit with injuries over his career, including missing the entire 2010 season with a torn ACL. Had agreed to play at the Senior Bowl but elected not to participate and instead allow his left wrist to heal after sustaining an injury to it earlier in the season. Has had multiple run-ins with police, though (to his credit) none over the past two years. Was charged with a DUI February, 2010, ironically just hours after Kelly had announced that Oregon would be ramping up penalties to players who ran afoul of the law. Alonso was also arrested on charges of burglary, criminal mischief and criminal trespass on May 1, 2011. He ultimately pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges to avoid jail time.

Compares To: Daryl Washington, ILB, Arizona Cardinals -- Like his predecessor with the Cardinals, Karlos Dansby, Washington's blend of instincts, athleticism and physicality has quickly turned him into a Pro Bowler. The frenetic Alonso has a similar upside but must show the same level of commitment on and off the field that Dansby and Washington have undertaken to enjoy this kind of success.

Rob Rang

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1631825/kiko-alonso

Highlight video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I-qW9QiEfg

Last edited:
With the 61st pick in the 2013 "Official" Mock Draft, the San Francisco 49ers select Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina.

images

Williams-420x279.jpg

For the third time this draft, I've tried to trade up to get the guy I want. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a suitor for any of the times. However, I've been lucky enough that the guy I was trading up for was still available when I was picking. Williams is a guy that is big, strong and has a quick first step. I think he'll thrive on this defense, eventually.

2013 49ers Draft:

31) Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame

34) Datone Jones, DE/DT, UCLA

61) Sylvester Williams, DT, UNC

LONG overdue write-up on Mike Glennon (pick #41) :covri:

mikeglennon.jpg

• 6'7" HEIGHT
• 33 1/8" ARM LENGTH
• 225LBS. WEIGHT
• 9 5/8" HANDS
40: 4.94 20 split: 2.78 10 split: 1.74
Vertical: 26.50" Broad: 8'6" Shuttle: 4.52 Cone: 7.49

2012: completed 58.5 percent of his passes for 4,031 yards, 31 touchdowns, and 17 interceptions. Despite limited mobility, Glennon also ran for 164 yards and 2 TDs. 2011: completed 62.5 percent of his passes for 3,054 yards, 31 touchdowns and 12 interceptions.

NFL Films Greg Cosell: “I’d rather have Glennon -- all 6-foot-7, 225 pounds of him -- than Smith...
“I would argue that, in my opinion, Glennon could (go) late in the first round and I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. As I talked about his attributes, I think he has probably -- of the quarterbacks in this class -- more of the attributes that you look for than maybe any other quarterback in this class…
“I think the thing that stands out with him, first of all, his functional mobility for a big man is far better than people might give him credit for. You see him move out of the pocket and make throws. He can do that. The thing I really like about him is his willingness to pull the trigger. You've got to do that in the NFL.”

01/24/13 - 2013 SENIOR BOWL REPORT: QB Mike Glennon, NC State (North Team)...This quarterback class is going to give NFL teams headaches as they try to sift through the talent, yet there is inconsistency among the top prospects. And Glennon might be the most talented, but streaky prospect at the Senior Bowl, although he has looked strong at times this week, having his best practice on Wednesday. He has the strongest arm in Mobile to effortlessly deliver strikes downfield, making concise NFL throws to all levels of the field. Glennon's highlight reel looks like video of a sure-fire top pick, but he needs to continue to eliminate mistakes in order to make those highlights the consistent part of his game.

Strengths: Progress as a passer began to show in the final three games of the year, connecting on 65 percent of his throws for 274 yards a game, 11 touchdowns and just two picks in wins over Clemson, Maryland and Louisville in the Belk Bowl. He has a very strong arm and spins the ball well. Uses his height to see receivers running open in the short and medium ranges, making accurate throws to lead them into open areas after the catch. His long legs don’t prevent him from running a pro-style attack, as he seems able to work from under center and run bootlegs. Arm strength is certainly sufficient to distribute the ball all over the field, and he can place it between defenders over the middle when his target sits down in zones.
Weaknesses: His average foot quickness will cause him issues trying to avoid defenders in a collapsing pocket. Tends to retreat instead of stepping up to deliver in the face of pressure, though his arm strength gives him a chance to get the ball out of bounds or find an open target while still backpedalling. And while he has the arm and tight spiral to threaten defenses with the deep ball, his inconsistent coverage reading and only average accuracy on deep balls keep him from being efficient in the vertical game.

END GAME: Glennon has ideal size and arm strength for the next level, but needs to continue and improve his upper and lower body technique. He displays an obvious understanding and passion for the game of football, but is still unpolished with his footwork and needs to refine the details of the position. Glennon looked strong at the Senior Bowl, where he had the strongest arm among the quarterbacks in attendance. He can deliver strikes downfield, making concise NFL throws to all levels of the field. Glennon still has some work to do in mastering technique, but he has the most raw talent of any of the 2013 QB class and his highlights speak of greatness in the making.

BTW, Buffalo brought him in for a personal interview last Wednesday.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom