The 85th Oscars (1 Viewer)

PayOrPlay

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone outside the steadily shrinking confines of the movie industry still cares about the Academy Awards, nor can I articulate any compelling reason why they should. But just in case, here's a thread for predictions, preferences, whatever, for this Sunday's show.

This year they're trying to run away from tradition, rebranding what would usually be called "The 85th Academy Awards" as just the plain old "Oscars:"

It's hard to say that the Academy is completely turning its back on its history, given that this year's show includes a celebration of the 50th anniversary of the James Bond movies and a tribute to movie musicals of the past decade. But it is consciously (if quietly) looking not to use a big round number when trying to woo viewers closer to the age of Quvenzhane Wallis (9) than Emmanuelle Riva (85), and trying to get less formal by making the show's nickname its official name.

AMPAS Drops '85th Academy Awards' - Now It's Just 'The Oscars' | The Wrap Awards

Anyway, for anyone still paying attention, one voter's entertaining, scabrous explanation of his ballot can be found here (strong language advisory):

Oscar Voter's Brutally Honest Ballot

Samples:

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

“This is No-Brainer City: ‘Skyfall’ is one of the best songs that has ever been in the best song category and Adele is ******* brilliant. Plus I think it’s about time that a James Bond song won best song. In a way, this is my ***** for not giving it to ‘Live and Let Die’ back in 1973. I will say that ‘Before My Time,’ which is sung by Scarlett Johansson, is pretty good. ‘Pi’s Lullaby’ I couldn’t remember if my life was on the line. ‘Everybody Needs a Best Friend’ is a simple song. And ‘Suddenly’ from Les Miserables is a very boring song and an absolutely blatant attempt to win a best song Oscar; that upsets me. If ‘Skyfall’ does not win I will fillet my next-door neighbor’s dog.”

Vote: “Skyfall” (Skyfall)

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

“It’s a tough category because everything is mediocre. I’m definitely not voting for The Pirates. I’m not voting for Frankenweenie. Brave was unimpressive. So I guess it’s between ParaNorman and Wreck-It Ralph. So… [At this time he assigned the screen side of his iPhone to the former and the back side of it to the latter, and spun it on his desk.]

Vote: Wreck-It Ralph

I am actually looking forward to the Oscars for a couple of reasons: For one, I have actually seen a couple of the nominated films and last year I had the chance to tour the (then Kodak)
Dolby Theatre. It was pretty cool to sit in the audience and see some of the areas where the stars mingle.
In the past I had wanted to go and hang out on Hollywood Blvd. and watch the red carpet comings and goings but after taking the tour and hearing about all of the security measures and such I decided that it's much better experienced at home.

Only reason I may watch is to see the 50th anniversary James Bond homage...

I always have it on although I will probably be doing other things as well. It's not like there is anything better on TV on that night and sometimes I will get an idea of something that I would like to see (although it is rarely a winner)

I am actually looking forward to the Oscars for a couple of reasons: For one, I have actually seen a couple of the nominated films

this.. i've seen three nominated films, which is about three more than ive seen in the last 10 yrs.. Saw Argo, Beasts of the Southern Wild and Silver Linings Playbook.. just saw SLP tonight, and i liked it the best of the three ive seen.. it's got a little something for everyone, and an absolutely stellar cast-- wasnt really a Bradley Cooper or Jennifer Lawrence fan before-- but now i am, in a big way.. ya'll should check it out if you havent yet.

this.. i've seen three nominated films, which is about three more than ive seen in the last 10 yrs.. Saw Argo, Beasts of the Southern Wild and Silver Linings Playbook.. just saw SLP tonight, and i liked it the best of the three ive seen.. it's got a little something for everyone, and an absolutely stellar cast-- wasnt really a Bradley Cooper or Jennifer Lawrence fan before-- but now i am, in a big way.. ya'll should check it out if you havent yet.

I agree with you on Silver Linings. Very solid film and the performances are fantastic all around. Lawrence will walk away with Best Actress easily and De Niro has a shot at supporting actor (although Tommy Lee Jones is the favorite).

Personally, I think the biggest snub, which is multiplied because nobody even talks about him being snubbed, is Samuel L. Jackson in Django Unchained. He stole every scene he was in.

I watch it every year and love it.
But it has gradually deteriorated in the last decade or so.
The hugh jackman one was one of the few highlights during that time

Great article. Love how blunt he is about all the nominees. I watch the Oscars every year and try to watch all the nominated movies. Here are my quick rankings.

1. Silver Linings Playbook - best performances and movie I've seen this year.
2. Argo - very good movie. Tense and well told.
3. Life of Pi - beautiful movie. amazing visuals
4. Django Unchained - Fun but same Tarantino type of movie. DiCaprio was amazing and really should have been nominated.
5. Beast of Southern Wild - loved the originality and local flare but just did not get it?
6. Zero Dark Thirty - not seen yet but really want too
7. Lincoln - not seen yet and not really looking forward to.
8. Les Miserables - absolutely no desire to see it
9. Armour - ditto

I wasnt looking forward to Les Miserables too much either when my wife dragged me to it. Glad she did because it was amazing. All singing was done live, not pre-recorded in a studio and synced to the acting. It was probably my favorite movie of the year.

Nate Silver handicaps the Oscars

He nailed the election, didn't do as well with the Super Bowl. How will he do on Sunday?

Oscar Predictions, Election-Style - NYTimes.com

Our method will now look solely at the other awards that were given out in the run-up to the Oscars: the closest equivalent to pre-election polls. These have always been the best predictors of Oscar success. In fact, I have grown wary that methods that seek to account for a more complex array of factors are picking up on a lot of spurious correlations and identifying more noise than signal. If a film is the cinematic equivalent of Tim Pawlenty -- something that looks like a contender in the abstract, but which isn't picking up much support from actual voters -- we should be skeptical that it would suddenly turn things around. Just as our election forecasts assign more weight to certain polls, we do not treat all awards equally.

bestpicture.jpg
bestdirector.jpg

I wasnt looking forward to Les Miserables too much either when my wife dragged me to it. Glad she did because it was amazing. All singing was done live, not pre-recorded in a studio and synced to the acting. It was probably my favorite movie of the year.

I was really surprised at how much I liked it.
I'm not a musical fan, like at all, but I went with my girlfriend, and it was a really good show. I liked it better than Argo by far.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom