The addict thread (1 Viewer)

OP
saintmdterps

saintmdterps

I've been dreamin', floatin' down the stream and..
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
2.5 years today

That is the best thing I’ve heard all day! It seems like only yesterday you were detailing your struggle and saying you would be going away for a bit. I am really glad to hear you’re doing so well. Not that there aren’t still days where it’s tough, but by and large the world looks so much better when we’re not indulging our addictions:)

mjcouvi

Hi
Reaction score
Self-pity or recovery - it's our choice

Page 53

"Self-pity is one of the most destructive of defects; it will drain us of all positive energy."

Basic Text, p. 80

In active addiction, many of us used self-pity as a survival mechanism. We didn't believe there was an alternative to living in our disease-or perhaps we didn't want to believe. As long as we could feel sorry for ourselves and blame someone else for our troubles, we didn't have to accept the consequences of our actions; believing ourselves powerless to change, we didn't have to accept the need for change. Using this "survival mechanism" kept us from entering recovery and led us closer, day by day, to self-destruction. Self-pity is a tool of our disease; we need to stop using it and learn instead to use the new tools we find in the NA program.

We have come to believe that effective help is available for us; when we seek that help, finding it in the NA program, self-pity is displaced by gratitude. Many tools are at our disposal: the Twelve Steps, the support of our sponsor, the fellowship of other recovering addicts, and the care of our Higher Power. The availability of all these tools is more than enough reason to be grateful. We no longer live in isolation, without hope; we have certain help at hand for anything we may face. The surest way to become grateful is to take advantage of the help available to us in the NA program and to experience the improvement the program will bring in our lives.

Just for Today: I will be grateful for the hope NA has given me. I will cultivate my recovery and stop cultivating self-pity.

as an addict, i'd know.

ALLNO

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
12.5 years sober, have a good job, great relationship with my family and expecting my first child on Tuesday. None of which would have been possible before. Was a 3 time treatment drop out, before it finally stuck on try number 4. Anyone having a tough time, just keep on trying, don't ever give up. Life on the other side is just to wonderful to pass on.

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats Brok (belated) and Pop!

I hit the IV this week myself.

I am very happy about the fact that I will never catch either of you without outliving you :)

This is the only place where I have actually told anyone anything about time under my belt. I would prefer my tombstone just say "He did what he said"

Madmarsha

I default to sarcasm
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I am very happy about the fact that I will never catch either of you without outliving you :)

This is the only place where I have actually told anyone anything about time under my belt. I would prefer my tombstone just say "He did what he said"
Happy for you, "Zack"!!

OP
saintmdterps

saintmdterps

I've been dreamin', floatin' down the stream and..
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I will add myself to the list.

I am an 8.5 year recovering alcoholic.
I am a 17 year recovering drug addict.

I owe everything to my wife and kids. Without them I would be in jail or dead in a ditch.
Congratulations on your ongoing sobriety:)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread