The addict thread (1 Viewer)

BroKV

Pelón
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
bbb71e0d6b63abddfc39b3ac184b142a.jpg

Well, one day at a time for 731 days has brought me to my 2 year clean date. I got to thank my family and friends. I also gotta give a shout out to you guys in this thread and on this site who have given supportive comments, shared your stories and been a source of knowledge and laughter. Keep being awesome!!

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Well, one day at a time for 731 days has brought me to my 2 year clean date. I got to thank my family and friends. I also gotta give a shout out to you guys in this thread and on this site who have given supportive comments, shared your stories and been a source of knowledge and laughter. Keep being awesome!!

Great job!!

OP
saintmdterps

saintmdterps

I've been dreamin', floatin' down the stream and..
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

I'm really glad for you!! Well done sir, you've earned each and every day of your new life :)

Keep up the good work!! Make no mistake, it is indeed work. Few days go by that I don't have a battle of my own.

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
congrats Brok! I am 6 months behind you. I remember when I started that 6 months you had on me seemed like a lifetime. I am very happy to know others who are making it and doing well. Of all the guys I went through the 6 month program with, a dozen friends have lost their lives. Three of them were very close friends. Its very difficult being around so much death but at the same time, not a day goes by that I do not count my own blessings.

BroKV

Pelón
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
congrats Brok! I am 6 months behind you. I remember when I started that 6 months you had on me seemed like a lifetime. I am very happy to know others who are making it and doing well. Of all the guys I went through the 6 month program with, a dozen friends have lost their lives. Three of them were very close friends. Its very difficult being around so much death but at the same time, not a day goes by that I do not count my own blessings.

I hear you, brotha. Things like your post are the little things that leave an impression on me and remind me the good that can come from this program.

Heathen Saint

"Socially distanced"
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to take the kids and go or kick her out. She's not going to quit unless she wants to.

ETA: I'm really late to this conversation, so don't be too hard on me if you guys have already discussed this ad nauseam.

I've had a few family members and friends addicted to alcohol. I'm not a mental health professional at all, but hear me out.

I think too many people looking at the problem all wrong. When folks look at those who have these addictions as simply "not wanting to change" or "being stubborn", etc., they narrow it down to a "will" problem. As in, he/she doesn't have the will to quit but it's because he/she's selfish, or greedy. I know it's really easy to get frustrated with people like this but ultimately it's up to people without these DISEASES (because yes, addiction IS a disease) to realize that they don't have a clear mind to work with when they're doing these things. They can't just abstain from something because there is a real, physical chemical imbalance in their brain that will make them suffer if they do not feed that addiction.

What this particular person needs is HELP, not isolation IMHO. Of course if they are endangering someone, yes, by all means one would want to distance themselves from that situation. But being there for a person through this tough time and not kicking them out or giving the "tough love" treatment (which seldom works, btw) is IMO the best way to fix this. Throwing someone out will only make the problem worse and the person will not ONLY feel as though they are a raging, uncontrollable pillhead who doesn't have control of themselves BUT one that is all that AND has a family that has given up on them.

Nobody should be kicked to the curb or given up on because they have a problem they can't attack with a full arsenal. You see time and time again more success stories than not from people that go to rehab and are surrounded by people who genuinely care about their well being, peers that share many of the same (or worse) hardships and family or friends that make themselves available to them for support. This is how people recuperate.

I'm not claiming to know some means to an end way of dealing with addiction because I don't. There are so many people with so many complex and varying issues it'd make my head spin. I acknowledge that and respect that I don't know half of what many are experiencing. But I've seen a family member and a few friends given the "tough love" treatment, and i've seen all of them regress rapidly during that time.

just my .02

Heathen Saint

"Socially distanced"
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score

Congratulations brother! That is incredible! :9:

OP
saintmdterps

saintmdterps

I've been dreamin', floatin' down the stream and..
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
ETA: I'm really late to this conversation, so don't be too hard on me if you guys have already discussed this ad nauseam.

I've had a few family members and friends addicted to alcohol. I'm not a mental health professional at all, but hear me out.

I think too many people looking at the problem all wrong. When folks look at those who have these addictions as simply "not wanting to change" or "being stubborn", etc., they narrow it down to a "will" problem. As in, he/she doesn't have the will to quit but it's because he/she's selfish, or greedy. I know it's really easy to get frustrated with people like this but ultimately it's up to people without these DISEASES (because yes, addiction IS a disease) to realize that they don't have a clear mind to work with when they're doing these things. They can't just abstain from something because there is a real, physical chemical imbalance in their brain that will make them suffer if they do not feed that addiction.

What this particular person needs is HELP, not isolation IMHO. Of course if they are endangering someone, yes, by all means one would want to distance themselves from that situation. But being there for a person through this tough time and not kicking them out or giving the "tough love" treatment (which seldom works, btw) is IMO the best way to fix this. Throwing someone out will only make the problem worse and the person will not ONLY feel as though they are a raging, uncontrollable pillhead who doesn't have control of themselves BUT one that is all that AND has a family that has given up on them.

Nobody should be kicked to the curb or given up on because they have a problem they can't attack with a full arsenal. You see time and time again more success stories than not from people that go to rehab and are surrounded by people who genuinely care about their well being, peers that share many of the same (or worse) hardships and family or friends that make themselves available to them for support. This is how people recuperate.

I'm not claiming to know some means to an end way of dealing with addiction because I don't. There are so many people with so many complex and varying issues it'd make my head spin. I acknowledge that and respect that I don't know half of what many are experiencing. But I've seen a family member and a few friends given the "tough love" treatment, and i've seen all of them regress rapidly during that time.

just my .02
That point is one of the biggest obstacles for an addict to overcome; Society's perception that he/she is simply "weak-willed", which is not true.

antipop

drool mop
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

just my .02

ideally, that is true...but addicts have a tendency to push people away from them...you can't really fault someone for 'giving up' that fight...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread