The addict thread (2 Viewers)

Just For Today
November 01, 2015

Awakening

Page 319

"God helps us as we help each other."

Basic Text, p.52

Our addiction caused us to think almost exclusively of ourselves. Even our prayers-if we prayed at all-were self-centered. We asked God to fix things for us or get us out of trouble. Why? Because we didn't want to live with the problems we'd created for ourselves. We were insecure. We thought life was about getting, and we always wanted more.

And in recovery we get more-more than just not using. The spiritual awakening we experience in working the Twelve Steps reveals to us a life we never dreamed possible. We no longer need to worry about whether there will be "enough," for we come to rely on a loving Higher Power who meets all our daily needs. Relieved of our incessant insecurity, we no longer see the world as a place in which to compete with others for the fulfillment of our desires. Instead, we see the world as a place in which to live out the love our Higher Power has shown us. Our prayers are not for instant gratification; they are for help in helping each other.

Recovery awakens us from the nightmare of self-centeredness, strife, and insecurity that lies at the core of our disease. We wake up to a new reality. All that is worth having can be kept only by giving it away.

Just for Today: My God helps me as I help others. Today, I will seek help in giving away the love my Higher Power has given me, knowing that is the way to keep it.

Copyright (c) 2007-2015, NA World Services, Inc. All Rights Reserved

Awesome, KV. And shout out to Zack, hope to be seeing a lot more from you around here!!

Coming up on 1 year clean on Wednesday. Although the bummer is looking back on where I was last year (at the bottom) has overshadowed the holidays for both the wife and I. But I can't worry about the past and can only move forward.

I was rammed in the rear end of my Harley by a teen girl texting, she never even saw the red light so she never even touched the brakes.

Long story short, it wrecked my back pretty bad. I had to have several surgeries and became addicted to painkillers. Morphine, Oxi, all of it. I was able to quit cold turkey. I locked myself in the house took a two week vacation from work and proceeded to go through the worst fight in my life.....withdrawal. I am proud of that today, because it was probably one of the hardest things I have ever done. When you are so sick and feel like you are going to die at any moment and know that taking a little pill will make it all go away....it is VERY hard to resist.

I can tell you right now, with your attitude towards her addiction she will never stop. the trick to all addiction is making the addict realize they want and need to quit. This is not achieved by threatening them and bullying. If they don't want it, it will never happen. The addict will be more apt to listen if you talk with a caring and nurturing way. Standoffs and screaming matches give addicts the perfect excuse, in their minds, to take the next pill.

Same thing here. T-boned by a 1973 LTD, broken femur/ribs/back....after 3 years of Oxy, Morphine, Percocet's and Vicodin I was sick of it. I went cold turkey also and took 3 weeks away from work. I thought I was in hell. I know now what I missed, your numb inside and out. I was spending 2k to 3k a month on pills even when I was being prescribed the meds.

It's nice to have a life again. I'm not saying I don't hurt but it's actually better to feel than be a soulless zombie....

Fitting Just For Today on my 1 year anniversary

Just For Today
December 30, 2015

Action and Prayer

Page 380

"...growth is not the result of wishing but of action and prayer."

Basic Text, p.37

Sometimes it seems as if our recovery is growing much too slowly. We struggle with the steps; we wrestle with the same problems; we labor under the same uncomfortable feelings day after day. We wish that recovery would move a little faster so we could find some comfort!

Wishing doesn't work in recovery; this isn't a program of magic. If wishes cured addiction, we all would have been well long ago! What does give us relief in recovery is action and prayer.

Narcotics Anonymous has worked for so many addicts because it is a carefully designed program of action and prayer. The actions we undertake in each of the steps bring more and more recovery to each area of our lives. And prayer keeps us connected to our Higher Power. Together, action and prayer keep us well-grounded in recovery.

Just for Today: My recovery is too precious to just wish about it. Today is a good day for action and prayer.

Great news.

And trust me, being in that desert.. I'm sure it's hard. Everything is so drab man.

Fitting Just For Today on my 1 year anniversary

Just For Today
December 30, 2015

Action and Prayer

Page 380

"...growth is not the result of wishing but of action and prayer."

Basic Text, p.37

Sometimes it seems as if our recovery is growing much too slowly. We struggle with the steps; we wrestle with the same problems; we labor under the same uncomfortable feelings day after day. We wish that recovery would move a little faster so we could find some comfort!

Wishing doesn't work in recovery; this isn't a program of magic. If wishes cured addiction, we all would have been well long ago! What does give us relief in recovery is action and prayer.

Narcotics Anonymous has worked for so many addicts because it is a carefully designed program of action and prayer. The actions we undertake in each of the steps bring more and more recovery to each area of our lives. And prayer keeps us connected to our Higher Power. Together, action and prayer keep us well-grounded in recovery.

Just for Today: My recovery is too precious to just wish about it. Today is a good day for action and prayer.

Congratulations, my friend. Stay in the moment, no past, no future, no worries. Just here and now. Now is good, now is clean.

Blessings to your wife for sticking it out with you.

Peace to you and your family, and have an even better 2016 :)

Congratulations, my friend. Stay in the moment, no past, no future, no worries. Just here and now. Now is good, now is clean.

Blessings to your wife for sticking it out with you.

Peace to you and your family, and have an even better 2016 :)

Thanks brotha, I always appreciate your kind words!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom