The addict thread (3 Viewers)

12.5 years sober, have a good job, great relationship with my family and expecting my first child on Tuesday. None of which would have been possible before. Was a 3 time treatment drop out, before it finally stuck on try number 4. Anyone having a tough time, just keep on trying, don't ever give up. Life on the other side is just to wonderful to pass on.

Congrats Brok (belated) and Pop!

I hit the IV this week myself.

I am very happy about the fact that I will never catch either of you without outliving you :)

This is the only place where I have actually told anyone anything about time under my belt. I would prefer my tombstone just say "He did what he said"

I am very happy about the fact that I will never catch either of you without outliving you :)

This is the only place where I have actually told anyone anything about time under my belt. I would prefer my tombstone just say "He did what he said"
Happy for you, "Zack"!!

I will add myself to the list.

I am an 8.5 year recovering alcoholic.
I am a 17 year recovering drug addict.

I owe everything to my wife and kids. Without them I would be in jail or dead in a ditch.
Congratulations on your ongoing sobriety:)

To you as well.

I was never very religious, so NA wasn’t really for me.

I was told by a 28 year recovering addict “you have to choose to have things in your life you want. If you let the drugs make the decisions, you will be choosing the consequences.” Those consequences for me were losing everything I hold dear, so choosing never to touch it again was my only real choice. I know I am not alone in having to make this choice but for me it was what got me through- if I fall down I will lose it all.

My road to sobriety was not nearly as bumpy as some. My life and my story are not like most people.

However the perspective I have gained by being on the bottom of society shapes me to this day. In my opinion, unless you have ever been there you can’t fully understand the pain and self loathing that comes with substance abuse. It is enough to make you want to end it.

I was lucky enough to have the resources (read- family) to see me through. Most aren’t as lucky- either they have no one, or tend to be in abusive or co-dependent relationships.

I have sponsored a few of my coworkers and employees, no matter the method they choose to get sober. One tried Antabuse and the another NA. One was successful and one is no longer with us. It doesn’t matter which one worked and which one didn’t because it is the person’s support system and love from it that is the only constant, in lifelong pursuit of progressing sobriety- in my opinion of course.

That is why i feel it is paramount to talk to anyone who you care about that might be hurting and let them know you care and will listen and be there when they need it- no questions asked. Just knowing someone gives a sheet is enough sometimes to give a person enough hope to go on one more day.

I've had the hardest fight with prescription pills for 20+ years off and on, but hardcore the last 8 years or so. At one point I would take 320mg of oxy and 600mg of hydrocodone a day. I've detoxed myself so many times I can't even count but never learned from it, the disease of addiction makes us forget. The core of our disease is self-centeredness, we also are under the illusion that we are not hurting anyone else, that if people would mind their own business everything would be better. A lot of us are "functioning addicts", we have jobs, houses, cars, families and provide. These are all things we haven't lost "YET". We are no different from the drug addict living on the streets, we just haven't gotten there yet.
Fitting Just For Today on my 1 year anniversary

Just For Today
December 30, 2015

Action and Prayer

Page 380

"...growth is not the result of wishing but of action and prayer."

Basic Text, p.37

Sometimes it seems as if our recovery is growing much too slowly. We struggle with the steps; we wrestle with the same problems; we labor under the same uncomfortable feelings day after day. We wish that recovery would move a little faster so we could find some comfort!

Wishing doesn't work in recovery; this isn't a program of magic. If wishes cured addiction, we all would have been well long ago! What does give us relief in recovery is action and prayer.

Narcotics Anonymous has worked for so many addicts because it is a carefully designed program of action and prayer. The actions we undertake in each of the steps bring more and more recovery to each area of our lives. And prayer keeps us connected to our Higher Power. Together, action and prayer keep us well-grounded in recovery.

Just for Today: My recovery is too precious to just wish about it. Today is a good day for action and prayer.

Copyright (c) 2007-2015, NA World Services, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Well, one day at a time for 731 days has brought me to my 2 year clean date. I got to thank my family and friends. I also gotta give a shout out to you guys in this thread and on this site who have given supportive comments, shared your stories and been a source of knowledge and laughter. Keep being awesome!!
Congrats man!!

I got 3 years on 12/30/17
Today I celebrate 4 years clean, the post I wrote today all the way to this thread with poster who show support are priceless in my recovery. Thank you guys!
Just looking back, from my first post with somewhere around 60 days clean to now over 5 years. It’s great to be alive, there so much more to live for.

Last edited:
Just looking back, from my first post with somewhere around 60 days clean to now over 5 years. It’s great to be alive, there so much more to love for.

Congratulations man.

I have been on percs for a couple years now. I dont think I am addicted, but I definitely have physical dependency at this point

Congratulations man.

I have been on percs for a couple years now. I dont think I am addicted, but I definitely have physical dependency at this point
For me, honestly, prescription pain killers are worse than anything I have dealt with in my years of addiction. It can take up to a year, if not longer for your body and mind to get back to normal once you quit. The physical dependency will cause the little voice in my head to start talking sheet. Telling me to get more so I don’t feel sick.

For me, honestly, prescription pain killers are worse than anything I have dealt with in my years of addiction. It can take up to a year, if not longer for your body and mind to get back to normal once you quit. The physical dependency will cause the little voice in my head to start talking shirt. Telling me to get more so I don’t feel sick.

ugh....did they give you anything to help? I have heard that gabopentin can.

On days where I am off and do nothing I try not to take any because the pain is at a level I can deal with, but come evening time the anxiety, headaches, and sweating starts and daddy needs his little helper

y2UspnT.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom