The Americans (1 Viewer)

I recently watched the series and it got old real quick - mostly due to the over-the-top killings. Most agents are not also doubling as assassins like the couple in this show. Also, I felt like they were always portraying the Americans as sloppy, lazy, incompetent and easily penetrable. It was annoying. Although comparing it to current real life predicament, is not that far off base.

Well I am only 4 episodes in and only seen 1 killing so far, but I guess that is about to change. :covri:

Excited for the new season that starts tonight.
Truthfully, I liked the earlier seasons better than the last couple, but still excited to see how they end the show this season.

I've been looking forward to it too. This is one of my favorite shows, but I agree it's gone a bit downhill since the beginning. They probably stretched it out a bit too long -- the whole "we're gonna leave the agency" then "oh, no we're not gonna leave" has been really played out.

I hope they both get bullets to the back of the head.

Though I feel sorry for the kids.

Well I'm guessing they go full out tragedy and one or both of the kids become collateral damage.

this needs bumping...I came across it while looking for the old monuments thread which I still haven't found.

I'm just catching up with the current season, only halfway through the first episode so I have nothing of substance to add yet. I love this show thus far, don't see it getting bad anytime soon.

It's going a little slow right now, but I believe they're setting up the last group of episodes to be awesome. Shame this is the last season.

I will say that Keri Russell has been one of the best, most charismatic characters on the show as well as one of its biggest star, with the exception of Matthew Rhys playing Philip Jennings. Rhys' character is more sympathetic as he doesn't come off as some blindly obedient, hardcore dogmatic communist like Russell does sometimes. Her character is arrogant, self-righteous, dogmatic communist almost to the point she seems delusional about true state of Soviet Union and what's really happened there in the 20+ years she's lived abroad as a spy. She refuses or is incapable of admitting the Soviet system flaws were showing severe strains by the early 80's and that increasing majority of ordinary Russians wanted more contact or positive coexistence with Western nations and God forbid maybe loosen some up of the USSR repressive state controls: secret police, detentions, torture, political prisoners exiled or detained indefinitely. When Philip told her that Pizza Hut was about to open a store in Moscow, she said incredulously that most Russians don't want to be like Americans like it's some absolute fact. Philip's facial response suggests he realizes she's woefully out of touch about what was going on in the Soviet Union and most of Eastern Europe, FTM, in the late 80's.

Keri Russell has done a superb job overall throughout this series playing a character most people don't like and are anxiously awaiting the episode where her character gets a bullet to the back of the head.

thoughts on the final episodes? One the best shows on TV I'm sorry it's over.

I loved seeing old school Roy Rogers again

It seems like a lot of people were upset that the finale left so many things unfinished

I'll admit - that even though I usually hate them I was really hoping for a time jump epilogue to show how everyone ended up (free Oleg!)

That scene in the parking garage was riveting. 6 seasons had been building up to it - I watched the scene 3 times

The scene on the Amtrak train was also well done

Last edited:
The series finale reminded me of some of the John Le Carre books where spies find out that there is not really a good and bad side and the side they are working for is really just as corrupt and despicable as the enemy they are fighting against. Its all just a waste of their lives, some like Smiley see that it's their job and they keep doing it because it's all they have known.

Spies, like other soldiers are just used up by those in power. Usually when they find out that is the game they have been playing, the damage is already done.

NEW YORK (AP) — In the end, after six seasons of murder most foul, high-stakes espionage and international intrigue, it somehow felt perfect that the climactic scene of “The Americans” should happen in the most mundane of places: a parking garage.

There was no bloodshed, and not a single bullet fired. “Just four people talking in a parking garage,” says executive producer and co-writer Joel Fields. But that scene, and the much-acclaimed series finale it anchored, was deeply true to the ethos of a show that was never really about action anyway, despite the body count or the sweeping themes at play. It was about a marriage.

The show became big by going small...………..

Avid fans of 'The Americans' hope Emmys Cold War will thaw

It will go down as one of the best/most unheralded shows of all time
(And props to FX for sticking with it)

It did not gave the irony/humor out that similar shows like B.B./BCS or Fargo had
It’s tone stayed pretty bleak and minor key
But such incredible actors, characters, stories
(If I ever met Keri Russel I’d run away as fast as I could, which is probably slower than what Mathew Rhys ran when he was )spotted

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom