The annual I hate barking dogs thread (1 Viewer)

NCSaint

Nice beautiful day and evening. The kind that makes you want to open the windows and let the outside in. But you can't because of incessant barking dogs. Drives me absolutely insane. America has become the land of barking dogs. Sorry - just venting.

Elaine: There is this dog in the courtyard across from my bedroom window that never, ever stops barking. I lost my voice just screaming at this thing. I can't sleep. I can't work. I mean, I just moved. I can't move again. What am I gonna do? What? What am I gonna do?
Kramer: Well, there is something you can do.
Elaine: What? Kramer, I'll do anything.
Kramer: Well, what if there should be an unfortunate accident?
Jerry: You're gonna rub out the dog?

Nothing works short of shooting all of them.

Animal control requires a log sheet of when the dog barks, what time of day and for how long (no I am not kidding).

It isn't just one dog. It is neighbors in the back, one side and the front.

I swear it is an epidemic around here.

Both of my neighbors have two big dogs a piece. My bedroom window is about 10 feet from where two of the dogs like to throw barking parties early in the morning. I've called the sheriff twice animal control once and have personally knocked on there door three times between the hours of midnight and 5:00 a.m. They act clueless when I ask them to, "please put your dogs inside, they're driving me nuts". Aparantely they sleep through all of it.

These dogs bark at any and everything: Garbage Truck.....U.P.S.....Mail Truck.....stray cats and dogs.....person walking down the street.....a leaf falling from a tree.....the wind............

I'm pretty paranoid about my dogs barking, ever since my NJ neighbor complained about them barking too much...while they were crated INSIDE of my house. His deck backed up next to the side of our house and that room was where the dogs were. Honestly, I could barely hear them if I was outside working, but if he was sitting on his deck he'd complain. If they were in the yard and let out even one little "woof", he'd go nuts. I asked all my other neighbors if the dogs bothered them and one even said "what dogs?"...no complaints from any of them. I even put a baby monitor in the room with the dogs at night after he complained that they barked all night (inside the house, crated) and kept him up -- keep in mind his bedroom was on the other side of his house from ours. He complained again and there was NO WAY my dogs were barking. I finally gave him my number and said to call me during the night if they were keeping him awake...he never did. I don't know what he was hearing, but it wasn't my dogs! Anyway, I'm now paranoid about any barking my dogs do. Dogs will bark, but IMO there's no reason to let them bark non-stop, and certainly not outside at night. Yes, animal control usually requires a log sheet. I don't know what my neighbor made up, but animal control came to our house and said they saw no problem. My friend had a complaint from one neighbor about her dog (which I never heard bark), and over half the complaint times were when she had her dog at obedience class....animal control hated that guy because he pulled that stunt every year. It's people like my old neighbor and that guy who make it tough for people with a legitimate complaint to file one, I'm sorry to say. Unfortunately logging the times and the duration are what you might need to do. Duration is important because in our old neighborhood, a nuisance barker was one who barked at all between 9pm and 8am, or for more than 10 minutes without stopping during the daytime hours. They want to know when and for how long the barking occurred so that they can determine the true nuisance factor before sending out animal control. Sorry...

I'm getting ticked at the people who just open their front door and let their dogs out to poop and pee. We have leash laws, but so many people don't care. I have a fenced area for the dogs inside of my fenced yard, so they are double-fenced and cannot get out. But I still have to pick up poop from my front yard, and replace dead plants that have been peed on too many times. Like you, NC, it's not just one dog...it's several, and I'm starting to recognize them. What's worse for me is that I don't even know what houses they belong to so that I can return the dogs (and their poop!!) to the proper home. Add the fact that I have small dogs and I'm nervous about taking them for a walk because of the dogs running loose...and these loose dogs look well cared for, not pit bulls, etc., but I still don't trust a loose dog. Especially if I'm out walking my dogs along with one of my kids.

My neighbors have the yappiest little ***** I've ever heard. And I live in a townhouse with thin walls so not only do I hear them when my neighbors get home/open the door, but the little pricks hear ME when I get home, and bark even more incessantly because they're confused as to where the noise is coming from. It generally takes about 20 minutes to die down.

Last edited by a moderator:
But I still have to pick up poop from my front yard, and replace dead plants that have been peed on too many times. Like you, NC, it's not just one dog...it's several, and I'm starting to recognize them. What's worse for me is that I don't even know what houses they belong to so that I can return the dogs (and their poop!!) to the proper home.

If your dogs don't use the front yard, poor some bacon grease on that poop that was left and chances are it'll go back with the dog that left it.

Paint ball guns work very well for these type things.

Buy a dog whistle and blow it everytime the dog barks.

A coworker of mine has a golden lab that he keeps penned up and the closest neighbor is about 100 ft. from the pen. The neighbor is an old man is always griping about something. One night the old man calls at about 11:00 pm and complains about his dog barking. He goes out side and the dog is sleeping in his dog house. About two hours later the old man calls back and complains again. He goes outside and the dog is still sleeping.

The next night he sets his alarm for midnight and goes over to the old man's house and knocks on his door. He said the old man finally answers the door after peeking through the curtains to see who it is and is half asleep when he opens the door. He then tells the old man, "I had a talk with my dog and I told him if he barks again at night I will come over and have him apologize to you for the racket!" He said he hasn't heard any complaints from the old man since.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom