The answer is trains yall. (1 Viewer)

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I know it would be a monumental task, but I have to believe the answer is trains for mass transit.

We just rode TGV Lyria (joint collaboration between France TGV and Swiss SCNF ) from Geneva to Paris (and back). 3 hrs 8 min in comfort and speed (reaching 190mph). But the ease of travel. It's not over crowded (the train itself), there is a bar/deli coach in middle, and it's smooth.

We rode 2 other trains over the past week (Gstaad and to Geneva)vs driving and they were all on schedule to the minute.

I know it would take 20 years to create all the infrastructure/upgrades, but it's a fantastic mode of transport.

I know it would be a monumental task, but I have to believe the answer is trains for mass transit.

We just rode TGV Lyria (joint collaboration between France TGV and Swiss SCNF ) from Geneva to Paris (and back). 3 hrs 8 min in comfort and speed (reaching 190mph). But the ease of travel. It's not over crowded (the train itself), there is a bar/deli coach in middle, and it's smooth.

We rode 2 other trains over the past week (Gstaad and to Geneva)vs driving and they were all on schedule to the minute.

I know it would take 20 years to create all the infrastructure/upgrades, but it's a fantastic mode of transport.
I don't think we'll ever catch up with Europe in the mass transit category. Hell, we can't even convince auto drivers to look both ways before crossing a track!

20 some odd years there was a proposal for a speed rail system from Baton Rouge to some end point in the pan handle of Florida. If that had happened, all the cities along that line would be in much better positions nationally. New Orleans (and the Saints) probably stood to gain the most out of that. But alas, politics.

Thinking about it now, it had to have been 30 years ago.

511262026bb3f78e28000006

This is concept that was created showing possible rail lines, how they would connect, and the time it would take to get from city to city. I would love to visit all over the country using a system like this. It's hard to imagine it not being extremely popular.

511262026bb3f78e28000006

This is concept that was created showing possible rail lines, how they would connect, and the time it would take to get from city to city. I would love to visit all over the country using a system like this. It's hard to imagine it not being extremely popular.
That a handful of people with vested interest in the Mobile port can sabotage the plan for a gulf coast rail indicates that planning is about as far as we’ll ever get (until China takes us over and installs the One Belt system)

But yes I LOVED taking rail in Europe and Japan - I mean it’s not hard to miss the MTA subways every time I cross the causeway

Good luck. The US is a country willingly stuck in rapid failure mode. Hoping the country adapts technology that has been in Europe for 50 years is too much to ask.

Indeed. High speed trains were a marvel the first time I saw one in 10th grade. That was almost 40 years ago and in that time they've proliferated the world over.

except in the united states.

a trip from NOLA to Houston, Chicago or even Orlando could be so fast, so cheap and so easy that it boggles my mind we don't have it.

Of course, doing anything cool and new requires beating out the big money interests that stand to lose so it'll never happen.

Yup. Hop a train in Baltimore and head to NOLA for a Saints game. Probably take 8-10 hrs so plenty of time for a few cold ones. Cab to the hotel, walk to the game.

Nah, never happen. Not in the good-old-boy network of special interests US of A. Too bad, it could be efficient and fun.

Indeed. High speed trains were a marvel the first time I saw one in 10th grade. That was almost 40 years ago and in that time they've proliferated the world over.

except in the united states.

a trip from NOLA to Houston, Chicago or even Orlando could be so fast, so cheap and so easy that it boggles my mind we don't have it.

Of course, doing anything cool and new requires beating out the big money interests that stand to lose so it'll never happen.
Not only that but, I'm betting the price for a ticket from NOLA to Orlando would not be cheap. Never underestimate the willingness to gouge the consumer.

never happen cross country, look at the epic failure of amtrac

europe is comparatively compact and common sensical

as opposed to our country's wiifms, nimbys, and imadomes

That a handful of people with vested interest in the Mobile port can sabotage the plan for a gulf coast rail indicates that planning is about as far as we’ll ever get (until China takes us over and installs the One Belt system)

But yes I LOVED taking rail in Europe and Japan - I mean it’s not hard to miss the MTA subways every time I cross the causeway

The handful of people only have to say the poor minorities are going to use this to rob you somehow if you allow it. That's all it takes to get the public behind it in Murica

I don't think we'll ever catch up with Europe in the mass transit category. Hell, we can't even convince auto drivers to look both ways before crossing a track!
IKR? "Gee, that train came out of nowhere." "Yeah. It's not like it's ON A TRACK OR ANYTHING!!!!!"

Yup. Hop a train in Baltimore and head to NOLA for a Saints game. Probably take 8-10 hrs so plenty of time for a few cold ones. Cab to the hotel, walk to the game.
8 - 10 hours. If only.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom