Article (The Athletic) Saints Film Room: Has Marcus Davenport been worth two first-round draft picks? (1 Viewer)

Snakehead

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Davenport is always a topic for a good discussion. This article in The Athletic really breaks down his development as a DE and whether or not he was worth 2 firsts. The study covered a 10 year period from 2006-2015 draft and compared DEs/OLBs, so pretty much EDGE guys.

Edit: This is from a paid site.

Here are some of the key notes from the study:

Top 10 picks
  • Averaged 4.40 sacks in Year 1. Averaged 7.62 sacks in year 2. Averaged 4.97 sacks in Year 3.
  • The 2011 class really disrupted the balance here. Von Miller only played nine games in Year 3 and had five sacks, down from 18.5 the year prior. Aldon Smith went from 19.5 to 8.5 Year 2 to Year 3. All of these things affected the dynamic of Year 3 results vs. Year 2 for Top 10s.
First-rounders (11-32)
  • Averaged 3.76 Sacks in Year 1. Averaged 5.18 sacks in Year 2. Averaged 5.66 sacks in Year 3.
  • There seems to be a lot more “boom or bust” in the Top 10 and more consistency in the later parts of the first round. On average, we see a continual progression, much like how Saints defensive end Cameron Jordan developed (1->8->12.5)
Second-rounders (33-64)
  • Averaged 2.91 sacks in Year 1. Averaged 3.82 sacks in Year 2. Averaged 4.24 sacks in Year 3.
Of 16 top-10 selections, seven made the Pro Bowl within their first three years and four were voted All-Pro. Four of these players recorded 3.5 sacks or fewer in all of their first 3 years. Of 36 first-round selection: Seven made the Pro-Bowl within their first three years and four were voted All-Pro.

For reference, here is where Davenport stands in Year 2 among his direct peers:
  • 4.5 Sacks in year 1. 6 sacks in year 2 (through 12 games).
    • Tied for 17th in the NFL in total pressures with 49, per Pro Football Focus
    • Leads all players from the 2018 draft class in pressures
    • Leads all players from the 2018 draft class in forced fumbles
    • Leads all players from the 2018 draft class in QB hits
    • Second among players from the 2018 draft class in sacks
I promise, we’ll discontinue the nerdy number crunching and get into the film breakdown here in a second (pushes glasses back up nose, adjusts pocket protector).

Essentially what this study has shown us is even if we take the value of Davenport’s draft picks and quantify him as being a “Top 10,” he is still outperforming the averages set by his peers in the 10-year study. If we take his actual draft status at 14 into consideration, he is well ahead of the established curve. Whether he is “two firsts” or just the Saints’ first-round selection of 2018, he is performing at or above the average. Not bad for a developmental draft pick.

Last edited:
I have to admit he's doing better than I thought when you take a closer look at the variety of ways he's being used.

Im totally fine with his performance!

dont only rate him by stats alone.
Cam Jordan having his greatest season so far heavily relates to the pressure produced by Davenport

imagine you trade up to use ure 1st rounder for Trubisky ?
(Although he has better stats than brady, and crushed jerry jones heart yesterday. Which I really enjoy both)

Im totally fine with his performance!

dont only rate him by stats alone.
Cam Jordan having his greatest season so far heavily relates to the pressure produced by Davenport

imagine you trade up to use ure 1st rounder for Trubisky ?
(Although he has better stats than brady, and crushed jerry jones heart yesterday. Which I really enjoy both)

The article goes into a lot more than stats. That is just the part that I quoted, I didn't think I could quote the entire article with film breakdown since it is a paid site.

The article goes into a lot more than stats. That is just the part that I quoted, I didn't think I could quote the entire article with film breakdown since it is a paid site.
I'm pretty sure the rule for posting articles (paid or not) is that you can tease them - including from multiple parts of the article if they're relevant to your OP in particular - as long as you don't copy and paste like 3/4 of the article.

ETA: Don't take my word for it though. I could easily be wrong.

The cost of replacement would be Harold Landry, who as the next DE in line, along with a late 1st round pick in 2019.

Landry has 9 sacks this season. Don’t know how he’s holding up against the run or contributing in pass defense when he’s not sacking the opposing QB.

I don't think SR should allow Pay Sites to troll us on SR. Coming directly to a free site. Posting a sucker paragraph about a topic everyone knows is of high interest to us Who Dats on SR and then the "bait and switch," and the "oxi-clean ......There's more for the bargain-basement price of $$$$$."

One of our own grows up on SR then leaves for a pay job, of which I am thrilled, but it seems like he has to convert a specific number of former free viewers to yearly paid subscriptions in order to keep his paid job doesn't just doesn't seem right. I think the Athletic is probably pressuring Rev Deuce to go after his old free readers at SR over and over to convert to paid.

Make the Athletic pay an advertising fee to Andrus and Dan in L and gang to gain access to us free readers.

Rev Deuce -in no way was this after you. I was thrilled when one of our own made it to the paid ranks. There's 2-3 others SR Who Dats who I think are good enough to deserve paid jobs. I just don't like when Corporate America is consistently trolling us on SR for money. If there is money on this site, it belongs to the ones who built and maintain the zoo for us Who Dat animals - lol

I don't think SR should allow Pay Sites to troll us on SR. Coming directly to a free site. Posting a sucker paragraph about a topic everyone knows is of high interest to us Who Dats on SR and then the "bait and switch," and the "oxi-clean ......There's more for the bargain-basement price of $$$$$."

One of our own grows up on SR then leaves for a pay job, of which I am thrilled, but it seems like he has to convert a specific number of former free viewers to yearly paid subscriptions in order to keep his paid job doesn't just doesn't seem right. I think the Athletic is probably pressuring Rev Deuce to go after his old free readers at SR over and over to convert to paid.

Make the Athletic pay an advertising fee to Andrus and Dan in L and gang to gain access to us free readers.

Rev Deuce -in no way was this after you. I was thrilled when one of our own made it to the paid ranks. There's 2-3 others SR Who Dats who I think are good enough to deserve paid jobs. I just don't like when Corporate America is consistently trolling us on SR for money. If there is money on this site, it belongs to the ones who built and maintain the zoo for us Who Dat animals - lol

Awful take

Just be real and tell us you want to be the only show in town for Davenport threads.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom