The battle for Tommy Stevens - The Athletic (1 Viewer)

Cincy Saint

VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Fantastic story of how the Saints outmaneuvered the Panthers to get Tommy Stevens.

Basically, the Panthers had him wrapped up as a UFA and even after the Saints offered him more money, he stuck to his guns and said he was going to the Panthers.

The Saints feverishly started calling teams that were still on the board. They offered to trade them their 2021 sixth-round draft pick in exchange for their late seventh-round selection. They received two takers: Minnesota at No. 244 and Houston at 240. The Saints took the Texans deal around 5:15 p.m and quickly notified the league office.

At the same time, Payton fired off a text to {Joe] Brady: “Not so fast.”

Then he shot one back to Stevens and Baker: “I’m tired of asking. Now, I’m taking.”

Seconds later, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced the trade on the network TV broadcast, followed by the Saints’ selection of Stevens with the No. 240 overall pick in the seventh round.

Stevens and Baker undoubtedly were stunned, as were, I’m sure, Brady and the Panthers.

He did an interview here in Mississippi a day or two ago, he was definitely not P'Oed. He said he saw it come across the screen that the Saints traded for a pick. Then he got a call from coach and his whole family was hugging and jumping through the roof when it was announced.

He did an interview here in Mississippi a day or two ago, he was definitely not P'Oed. He said he saw it come across the screen that the Saints traded for a pick. Then he got a call from coach and his whole family was hugging and jumping through the roof when it was announced.
This has to be the most interesting 7th rounder because the coaches wanted and traded for him. I never gives much thoughts or hope for 7th rounder but for the coaches to want him, I can't hate on it. They know way more than me.

This has to be the most interesting 7th rounder because the coaches wanted and traded for him. I never gives much thoughts or hope for 7th rounder but for the coaches to want him, I can't hate on it. They know way more than me.
Watch that video of his highlights at Penn State from the other thread. Dude is a beast, I watched him play at Mississippi State, but he wasn’t asked to do all of the stuff he was doing in that video.

Fantastic story of how the Saints outmaneuvered the Panthers to get Tommy Stevens.

Basically, the Panthers had him wrapped up as a UFA and even after the Saints offered him more money, he stuck to his guns and said he was going to the Panthers.
Ireland says Stevens will learn more in 1 year than Winston learned his whole career. Lol!

Watch that video of his highlights at Penn State from the other thread. Dude is a beast, I watched him play at Mississippi State, but he wasn’t asked to do all of the stuff he was doing in that video.
Yeah I have seen it. I don't get too hype up with videos anymore. More often it will disappoint me. But I see the reason why they wanted him.

I don't think Saints would have drafted him if they didn't see something special in Stevens. I'm sure Payton is thinking of the ways he can use him.

I can't express how much I freaking love Payton.

tenor.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom