The battle for Tommy Stevens - The Athletic (1 Viewer)

Always better to get drafted... getting drafted comes with a 4 year contract

NFL Draft 2020: 7th Round Pick Salary Projections
PICKSSALARY RANGE
215-224$638,424-$635,421
225-235$634,919-$631,133
236-245$630,922-$629,125
246-255$628,873

The Saints made Marquez Callaway their 1st UDFA signing, and he got a 1 year deal for $85k with a $10k signing bonus. I think the only $$ he’s actually got in his pocket is the $10k. He has to make the team to get the rest.

The Saints did Tommy Stevens a huge favor by picking him in the 7th round (in more ways than one). He better not be butt-hurt that he couldn’t sign with a rebuilding Panties team for minimal money. He should be grateful.

Stevens is going to have to choke at an Atlanta Falcons/Walter Thomas-like level to not make the Saints roster. The ball is in his court now, and the young man just has to give it all he’s got.

If he “Falcons” this opportunity, watch him go and sign with the Panthers practice squad... and keep the story going...

Last edited:
I think he just has to prove he can play special teams at this point, but this almost forces you to put him on the 53 man roster.
I'm sure he can. It's the same as Hill when we got him. We got a football player, not necessarily a qb, although I'm sure with enough time he can do that too

Always better to get drafted... getting drafted comes with a 4 year contract

NFL Draft 2020: 7th Round Pick Salary Projections
PICKSSALARY RANGE
215-224$638,424-$635,421
225-235$634,919-$631,133
236-245$630,922-$629,125
246-255$628,873

The Saints made Marquez Callaway their 1st UDFA signing, and he got a 1 year deal for $85k with a $10k signing bonus. I think the only $$ he’s actually got in his pocket is the $10k. He has to make the team to get the rest.

The Saints did Tommy Stevens a huge favor by picking him in the 7th round (in more ways than one). He better not be butt-hurt that he couldn’t sign with a rebuilding Panties team for minimal money. He should be grateful.
Not sure if it is better or not. Not sure that he will get more guaranteed by being drafted than he would have gotten had the agent accepted the Saints last offer of over $150k guaranteed.

@Wiggoes

There's no way I was going to lose this kid," Payton said of the former Mississippi State and Penn State quarterback who was often compared to the Saints' versatile Taysom Hill leading up to the draft.

"We know the role. We invented the role."

Last edited:
Fantastic story of how the Saints outmaneuvered the Panthers to get Tommy Stevens.

Basically, the Panthers had him wrapped up as a UFA and even after the Saints offered him more money, he stuck to his guns and said he was going to the Panthers.

No Sneaking on the Practice Squad for Tommy. If he was cut in the preseason, Carolina will pick him up in heartbeat. Then that’d be a wasted 2021 6th rounder traded away

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom