The Bayou Bulletin: A Star Shines in Buffalo (1 Viewer)

TheBayouBullet

Still here.
Reaction score
Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009
A Star Shines in Buffalo
By TheBayouBullet

I'm going to make a confession. I like the Buffalo Bills. I’ve always liked the Buffalo Bills. In fact, I can’t understand why anyone wouldn’t like the Buffalo Bills. First and foremost, any team whose official name is “Bill” is a winner in my book. While it works as intended in the context of the city they’re in, I've always wondered what would happen if they moved. Would their mascot become the dollar bill? A duck bill? Would they choose another generic team name? Who wouldn’t want to see the “Los Angeles Teds?”

All joking aside, you can draw a lot of parallels between the journeys of the Buffalo Bills and the New Orleans Saints, with the only real difference being that the Bills lost four Superbowls, and the Saints have never been in one. I'm not sure which of those is worse. But the bottom line is that both teams have been consistently inconsistent, near-perennial .500 clubs that can never seem to establish themselves as "here to stay" competitors outside of a few occasional flashes in the pan. Both teams are looking to change that. For the Saints, the arrival of Sean Payton, Drew Brees, and Reggie Bush heralded the birth of a prolific offense and a clear change in the state of the franchise. Katrina happened, 2006 happened, and the rest is history. But for the Bills, their glimmer of hope hasn't been quite as dramatic. But boy...is it ever glimmering.

http://saintsreport.com/modules/News/showarticle.php?threadid=123840

1. (no change) Whoever is Playing the Detroit Lions (2-0) – Winners of their last 18 games, the team playing the Detroit Lions looks pretty unstoppable.

2. (+1) Baltimore Ravens (2-0) – The disconcerting part about their 2-0 start has been the performance of their defense. The loss of Rex Ryan might be starting to show. One big hit at the end of a ballgame doesn’t make up for the ballgame being that high-scoring in the first place.

3. (+4) New Orleans Saints (2-0) – In the case of the Saints, defensive statistics are deceiving. Huge leads and prevent defenses equals inflated garbage-time passing yards for the opposing team. You’re on notice, NFL. The Saints are a complete team.

4. (+1) Atlanta Falcons (2-0) – The NFC South looks like a two-team race. Though you could make a case for either the Saints or Falcons being number three on this list, Drew Brees gives New Orleans the edge. But Matt Ryan is for real, and these Falcons are good.

5. (+1) Indianapolis Colts (2-0) – The Colts aren’t winning pretty, but they’re still winning. Just the same, this isn’t the same team that has traditionally lit up the scoreboard. Though I guess when you only get the ball for fifteen minutes, it comes with the territory.

6. (under 11) New York Jets (2-0) – Huge leap for the Jets, who basically punched the New England Patriots square in the mouth, after telling the New England Patriots they were going to be punched square in the mouth.

7. (-3) Minnesota Vikings (2-0) – Their fall in the rankings isn’t necessarily due to their failures so much as other teams’ successes. The Vikings are winning, yes, but they haven’t exactly looked like the NFC’s team to beat.

8. (under 11) Chicago Bears (1-1) – Now that’s the team we thought we’d see come week one. If Cutler pulls it together consistently, watch out.

9. (+2) New York Giants (2-0) – Seriously, what is the media drinking to have this team ranked number one in half of the power rankings out there? Beating a pitiful Redskins team by less than a touchdown then squeaking past the Cowboys at the last possible second is not that impressive.

10. (-8) Pittsburgh Steelers (1-1) – Huge fall for the Steelers, who look very beatable right now.

11. (under 11) San Francisco 49ers (2-0) – Back-to-back victories against their closest competitors in the NFC West? Way to kick off a football season.

I think that his Top 11 List is fairly accurate, even after the tongue in cheek comment about the Lions' opponent. But again, this isn't the NCAA, you can not have a 1-1 team ranked higher than a 2-0 team.

This is the NFL and you are what your record says that you are.

excellent article as always

I think that his Top 11 List is fairly accurate, even after the tongue in cheek comment about the Lions' opponent. But again, this isn't the NCAA, you can not have a 1-1 team ranked higher than a 2-0 team.

This is the NFL and you are what your record says that you are.

I just couldn't justify putting 2-0 Denver above some 1-1 teams.

Most impressive. I think I need to read more of your articles. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom