The Beatles Thread, v. 2 (1 Viewer)

Jazzbo

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Beatles smash hits now a mashup

story.beatles.1969.jpg

NEW YORK (AP) -- It's the Beatles as they never even imagined themselves.

The Beatles' "Love" album being released on Tuesday is a thorough reinterpretation of their work, with familiar sounds in unfamiliar places, primarily created by the son of the man who was in the control room for virtually all of their recording sessions.

It's a mashup, even though Giles Martin said he hates the word. John Lennon sings "he's a real nowhere man" in the background of the instrumental track to "Blue Jay Way." The keyboard of "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" dissolves into the plodding guitar of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)."
"Strawberry Fields Forever" builds from Lennon's acoustic demo into a psychedelic swirl of sounds that incorporates bits of "Hello Goodbye," "Baby You're a Rich Man," "Penny Lane" and "Piggies."

The project was created for a collaboration with Cirque du Soleil and has the endorsement of Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and the widows of Lennon and George Harrison, Martin said.

"I had fresh ears -- if you can have fresh ears to the Beatles -- and my job was to make things different," said Martin, who was born in 1969 as the band was breaking up.

The rules were simple: Beatles tracks only, no electronic distortion of what they recorded, and no newly recorded music. The single exception was a string arrangement, written by original Beatles producer George Martin, to accompany an acoustic version of Harrison's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."
Of course, the idea for the album itself distorts songs that fans have been familiar with for 40 years, in some cases. "There will be a lot of people ****** off about this," Giles Martin said, "but it was all in fun."

Entire article:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/11/20/music.thebeatles.ap/index.html

"It sounds beautiful. But revolutionary—or even particularly interesting—it ain’t."

‘Love’ Bites
The new Beatles Cirque de Soleil 'mash-up' hovers somewhere between a greatest-hits compilation and a reverential cover album. We’ll wait till they finally remaster the entire catalog.

By Brian Braiker
Newsweek
Updated: 6:38 p.m. CT Nov 30, 2006

Nov. 30, 2006 - It certainly sounded like a bold idea—shockingly brazen, even. Raid the Beatles’ master recordings at Abbey Road Studios, break them apart, scramble, mash and reassemble them, and then serve up the result in 5.1 Surround Sound as the score to a Cirque de Soleil show called “Love.” To diehard fans it smacked of sacrilege. But the project was endorsed by the two surviving Beatles, as well as Beatles widows Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison. Placed in the care of “fifth Beatle” producer George Martin and his son Giles, “Love” arrived in stores last week dripping with credibility and inviting questions. Would it be the first “new” Beatles album in 40 years? What would a sanctioned Beatles mash-up sound like?

READ MORE

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15976165/site/newsweek/

I don't know about this. I kept hearing, "it is a new Beatles album." Well, that is just great but they have not made music for over 30 years, I thought to myself.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom