The Best Remaining Free Agents who fit the Saints (1 Viewer)

Griffen is older than Kirkpatrick??? It seems like Dre has been in the NFL since the 90s.

Apple was just fine until he got injured. I wouldn't necessarily call it slacking. That's just me. He would definitely be great depth, but not sure we can afford him now. If we could bring him back cheap, it's a no brainer.
You're exactly right, his play didn't fall off until after his injury. He played the rest of the season with either an ankle or knee injury, I forget which it was. I would like to see us re-sign Apple too.

Apple was just fine until he got injured. I wouldn't necessarily call it slacking. That's just me. He would definitely be great depth, but not sure we can afford him now. If we could bring him back cheap, it's a no brainer.

like the old saying, cornerbacks have to have short memories Because if they get burned they have to just line up again. And opinions about corners work the same. Outside of the top 4 or 5 in the league you will always find fans who don’t support them. We even have some on here that think Latt is overrated. I think Apple is better than most of what is available so if the price is right I think you have to jump on it. I would sure rather have him than Warford.

You're exactly right, his play didn't fall off until after his injury. He played the rest of the season with either an ankle or knee injury, I forget which it was. I would like to see us re-sign Apple too.

It was a hyper-extended knee, I believe. It's funny how much panic there was when he was injured, but when he returned shortly after, but not playing at the same level, people seemed to turn on him pretty quickly. My take is that no, he is not a top corner, but he's shown he can be a decent option to have. He'd definitely be better than the depth behind the top two outside corners. I just don't think he'd agree to come back for what we could offer to pay him to be a backup. If so, I would love the move.

Eli Apple would probably be the only guy I would bring in besides possibly a LB. I just think they are high on Kaden Elliss and possibly even Chase Hansen as being contributors this year. Then you throw in the UDFA Joe Bachie who I thought would get drafted. I think they are gonna see what they have there in camp & preseason. Same goes for receiver. We got Tre’Quan Smith, Deonte Harris, Taysom Hill, Emanuel Butler, Lil’Jordan Humphrey, Krishawn Hogan, Tommy Lee Lewis, Tim White, Maurice Harris, Taquan Mizzell, Marquez Callaway, and Juwan Johnson. I’m sure we will see Tommy Stevens play some there as well. That’s like 13 guys and 15 if you include Thomas & Sanders. I would just keep Ginn’s number on speed dial cause he could be a good 3 or 4 IMO.

Am I crazy for wanting to get another running back in here? It would be nice to have a discount dual threat to spell Kamara with.

I didn't see anyone on that list that would be an upgrade over the guys currently on the roster under contract...
Did you not see what Everson Griffen did did to us in the playoff loss to the vikings. He would be a definite upgrade at DE if GOD forbid one our starting DE's go down due to injury again this season. Getting Apple back would definitely help us on the boundary. I don't want to see PJ or Patrick Robinson having to play on the boundary if one of our starting CB's have to miss any time.

Did you not see what Everson Griffen did did to us in the playoff loss to the vikings. He would be a definite upgrade at DE if GOD forbid one our starting DE's go down due to injury again this season. Getting Apple back would definitely help us on the boundary. I don't want to see PJ or Patrick Robinson having to play on the boundary if one of our starting CB's have to miss any time.
1) Unfortunately, Griffen would not get 16 games vs the Saints injured OL next year, so that single game is not a good measurement in which to offer a contract.

2) Griffen still didn't have as good of a season as Marcus Davenport last year. He's not going to be taking snaps from Marcus anytime soon.

3) Apple seems like a nice enough guy, but he's only a slight upgrade from Brandon Browner. Only a couple guys had more DPI penalties than Eli. He's not very good, hence the reason why he is unemployed.

I don't want to see PJ or P-Rob outside either, but that doesn't make Eli Apple and attractive candidate for the role.

My 2 cents:

Priority A: Veteran CB and DE

Priority B: Veteran LB and Slot WR

Last edited:
1) Unfortunately, Griffen would not get 16 games vs the Saints injured OL next year, so that single game is not a good measurement in which to offer a contract.

2) Griffen still didn't have as good of a season as Marcus Davenport last year. He's not going to be taking snaps from Marcus anytime soon.

3) Apple seems like a nice enough guy, but he's only a slight upgrade from Brandon Browner. Only a couple guys had more DPI penalties than Eli. He's not very good, hence the reason why he is unemployed.

I don't want to see PJ or P-Rob outside either, but that doesn't make Eli Apple and attractive candidate for the role.

You're missing my point. My point is that Griffen & Apple are the 2 best players left at their positions in the FA market that could come in and back up those positions in case of injury. I'm not thinking along the lines of them being starters, just insurance in case of injuries.

I don't think we have the "wallet" to spend more money on free agents anymore.

I wanted Ogletree and I still be happy if we bring him. But right now I think Marc Barron will be ideal to come for the specific role of defending against linebackers.

That probably depends on what they do with Warford and Easton. I think that at this point they will likely go to camp with Warford (assuming there is a camp) and have Warford, Ruiz, and McCoy compete for 3 spots, but if they get the right trade offer that could change. And, if Warford doesn't go, Easton is kind of an expensive backup who I think could save around $4 million if he was cut or traded.

I don't expect they will spend big money regardless. But, I don't think signing a vet to compete for the #3 WR spot is out of the question.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom