The BEST thing coach Sean Payton could do for the Saints now (1 Viewer)

Yea but I think he would still expect due diligence. He would not expect less than what he would do himself.

I don't think he plans to be involved in the process which is what the post I was responding to said he should do. He made his recommendation as many outgoing coaches do. I'm not saying we should automatically hire DA without any interviews. You can't.

I hope he's a listening ear come draft time. He needs to let us know his favorites one last time. Hopefully Ireland has him on speed dial

You have that exactly backwards, one of my favorite things about CSP was he trusts Ireland and staff to find the best fits in the draft, it's incredibly obvious how much our drafting has improved since Ireland arrived.

He is not perfect but they hit more than they miss....

And if we can get compensation for him going to another team the Saints would be foolish not to get as much as they can. It's a business....

In all honestly.....
I don't think he owes us anything
He's under contract and obligated to fulfill it. The Saints hold the cards here if and or when he wants to coach again. I wonder what the language is in his contract regarding early termination without cause. Every contract is different so.........

If it is true that he tried to leave a couple of years ago to go to Dallas, then ALL parties involved know this to be true. If that's the case, then his "leaving" now is mostly so that he can take a one year vacation and then take the Dallas job. Again, if true, the Saints need to demand a King's Ransom for him, no less than the Gruden trade deal. If the Cowboys (Jerry Jones) say no, they can wait two more years for him to become available.

Last edited:
So you expect him to take assets away from the team he will be coaching to help the team he just left from? That will never happen.

If anything, it would make him wait longer to sign. He owes New Orleans nothing. He has given us more than we could have ever asked for. If in that position he would owe it to himself and his new team to put the best product possible on the field. Losing draft picks and/or top players would not help him to do that.
He cannot "wait." His contractual obligation to the Saints remains fixed at the years remaining on his contract. If he decides he wants to be employed by an NFL team again, even if it is 10 years from now, his rights belong to the Saints. and the Saints would have the right to demand compensation to release Payton from his contractual obligation and/or trade him.

People here are crazy though. Why would the Saints just give away an asset like Payton, or let him walk for less than market value? How could any Saints fan be OK with their team doing that? Maybe the people that only became Saints fans because of Payton and Brees, but those of us that have been here and are still here for the long haul are mostly going to think that the idea of letting an asset like Sean Payton go coach another team without that team rightly compensating the Saints is ridiculous.

Personally, it is one of the crazier things I have heard/read on this message board. If another team wants to sign Payton, then he literally has to be traded to that team to escape or be released from the terms of his Saints contract. The value of the compensation needed to secure Payton's rights will recede depending on how long of a break he takes before going back into coaching, but not significantly in the next 2 to 3 years - meaning the Saints should get AT LEAST one First Round Pick. That compensation is more than fair and Sean knows it will be the price of doing business. He is a big boy and a multi-millionaire. For those thinking that Gayle should be sentimental and intentionally make the Saints a worse team to do a solid for an old friend, I will close with a famous quote from super agent, Bob Sugar:

He cannot "wait." His contractual obligation to the Saints remains fixed at the years remaining on his contract. If he decides he wants to be employed by an NFL team again, even if it is 10 years from now, his rights belong to the Saints. and the Saints would have the right to demand compensation to release Payton from his contractual obligation and/or trade him.
I'm not sure that's how that works:

Sean Payton contract details​

Payton signed a contract with the Saints in 2019 that made him one of the highest-paid coaches in the NFL. It was a five-year pact that paid him roughly $9 million annually. He made it through just two of those seasons before opting to step away.

However, Payton will still be under contract for the next three years despite leaving. As such, if he wants to return to the NFL in 2023, the Saints will still own his rights for at least another season.

What does that mean? A team would have to compensate the Saints to hire Payton, per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

That may not necessarily be a dealbreaker for a team looking to hire Payton, but it would certainly complicate the matter. NFL teams don't like giving up draft capital even for proven resources. However, teams have swapped high-priced resources more in recent offseasons, so perhaps if a team viewed Payton as enough of a difference-maker, it could pursue him.

Payton's contract won't run out until after the 2024 season, so this issue will be there if any team wants to hire Payton over the next three years.

Is they do this, it will be the biggest mistake the organization makes since letting Ditka trade an entire draft for Ricky Williams. I love SP, but if he wants to coach somewhere else, it better cost that team dearly. Business is business.
Agreed. He didn't exactly leave the Saints in the greatest shape. In fact, he left when we are years from getting straight the cap if we stop kicking the can down the road. We have to think of the team now. We need draft picks and the cheap labor they bring. He did what's best for Sean. Now the organization has to do what's best for the Saints.

He quit without warning or any opportunity to pre plan. That comes with a heavy burden to the Saints. That burden has to be minimized. To be honest the longer time goes by the more I’m angered by it.

Two number ones with one being from a bottom feeder that the team getting him has to supply by hook or crook. They can keep any castoffs they may want to supply.

What if he sets out for a year and wants to come back to the Saints. That would throw all kinds of monkeys (nothing about that has anything to do with race) into the wrench.

What if he sets out for a year and wants to come back to the Saints. That would throw all kinds of monkeys (nothing about that has anything to do with race) into the wrench.
He’s not going to coach the Saints again. He’s done in New Orleans.

The best thing he could do from my perspective is:

-Wait to the Falcons to inevitebly fire their coach (should happen in the next year or two).
-Agree to coach them and indirectly get us some of their picks in the trade for him.
-Fill out his staff and roster
-Get to training camp, call a press conference saying his heart is not in it.
-Re-retire to broadcasting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom