The Bible is a work of fiction (3 Viewers)

Here are some good reads on the science of Gods existence but I would suspect that the skeptics won't read any of them...or at the very least read enough to "debate" it further

http://toptenproofs.com/article_godsexistence.php

www.doesgodexist.org

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/bible_science_criticisms.html#FTOR3um2qXad

http://www.everystudent.com/features/isthere.html

http://www.layhands.com/ScientificEvidenceOfGod.htm

also, http://crossexamined.org
Great material about the Red Shift, why Christians should believe in the Big Bang, etc.

The Bible is a work of fiction. There are many stories that date back well before the so called Jesus was born and they tell the exact same story. Most gods in ancient times were born of a virgin mother, died and rose again. It was never designed to be taken literally.

The Bible is a work of fiction. There are many stories that date back well before the so called Jesus was born and they tell the exact same story. Most gods in ancient times were born of a virgin mother, died and rose again. It was never designed to be taken literally.

This is a claim that gets parroted over and over from people who watch movies like "Zeitgeist," but the whole argument has been completely dismantled. Specifically what 'gods' are you referring to?

Prove to me otherwise.

Faith is not an acceptable answer here. I want to see empirical data.
I would rather live my life believing there is a GOD and find out when I die there is not, then live my believing there is not a GOD and when I die find out there is.

Good luck in your search.

I would rather live my life believing there is a GOD and find out when I die there is not, then live my believing there is not a GOD and when I die find out there is.

What about tribes in the rain forest who have never heard of this Yaweh fellow? Should they be automatically condemned because they weren't taught to believe in the same things we are?

I've seen a movie called something like the existence of our creator? I forget the exact title. it was a documentary on proving the existence of God. And well... It certainly holds true that theirs an intelligence that created this all because celll production is the same in everything for the most part the way its run.

As for the Bible, its a very exaggerated story in my opinion. Before christ, there were ppl living 7-900 yrs? No man then and no man now will ever heal the sick or handicapped ect. by touch alone. ( i do mean in severe cases)No man will split seas and all this other ficticious bs. The Bible imo is a sotry written by 4 guys. But there is fact in saying that if you took 1000 ppl at birth grew them up where they didnt learn about god, one of them would form a beleive that theirs something higher than him/herself.

In my opinion we'll never see this "higher intelligence" at all. I mean come on.if soemthing indeed made this universe, do you honestly think we'll see it? When an insect dies, doest it go to heaven? Does it see its creator? I seriously doubt it. so why should we? I say enjoy your time here on Earth cause its short.

Actually my friend this is one area where you deists have it over us athesists. If we're right, you'll never actually find out you were wrong...whereas if you guys are right - I guess we're all in for a nasty shock!

I can't tell you what I am, I can only tell you what I'm not. I picked "agnostic" in my own religion thread, but that's not really accurate. I'm really only agnostic-bordering-atheist in regard to the Christian God as taught to me in Sunday school. Why? Partly because I do believe in science and things that can be proven, and science and Christian theology just don't match up in too many big areas. But that's not the main reason. I just never felt it. I'm 40 years old and I have never felt the presence of God as described at church. I never felt God and angels were watching over me as a child. I don't feel God when I look at a glorious vista. I didn't feel God at the birth of my son or in a near-miss on the highway or any of those things. And before I gave up traditional religion completely, I even prayed often about important things. I never felt a prayer "answered." You'd think in 40 years that God would have made His presence known to me in some small way, and it just hasn't happened. And the shame of it is, I'm a person who wants to believe very much in the mystical. I just don't think it's too much to ask that you prove yourself if you're there. As incongruous as it may seem, I believe in ghosts--whatever they actually are--because I've seen 'em. God? I'm still waiting. But I do believe in the power of spiritual goodness and the magick/energy it produces. I just don't think it comes from some other dimension or "heaven" or anything like that. It is inside us, and some people are really good at letting it shine. And you can feel it.

In "I Sing The Body Electric," Whitman talks about the soul:

I sing the body electric,
The armies of those I love engirth me and I engirth them,
They will not let me off till I go with them, respond to them,
And discorrupt them, and charge them full with the charge of the soul.

Was it doubted that those who corrupt their own bodies conceal themselves?
And if those who defile the living are as bad as they who defile the dead?
And if the body does not do fully as much as the soul?
And if the body were not the soul, what is the soul?
We are God. We just need to act like it more.

Why does it have to be PROVED?Those with eyes will see and those with ears will hear. Not convinced..... that's cool. Have a great life.

Religion on a whole is a sham , im a lapsed catholic

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AxRwQoNv4qA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AxRwQoNv4qA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

this guy nails it on the head religion is absolutely stupid and will contine to cause death and war until we all grow up and realise that its total and utter nonsense !

Do you think that if tomorrow religion went away war would go away? People have fought about things since the begining of our time. If religion was gone they would find something else to wrap around their war to bring people to their cause.

I think if it went away , there would be no conflict in northern ireland, and on a whole far less problems in Afghanistan , Iraq , kosovo , nigeria , ivory coast , somalia , pakistan , india , bosnia , sudan and uganda and thats just off the top of my head

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom