The Biggest Tragedy of the No Call might be Drew Brees' legacy as the Greatest Quarterback of All Time. (1 Viewer)

sainthood

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
If the pass interference is called, the Superbowl is Drew Brees versus Tom Brady. In the Saints previous Superbowl season, Drew schooling the Patriots 38-17 , T. Brady 21-36, 237 YDS, 2 INT, D. Brees 18-23, 371 YDS, 5 TD. Superbowl 53 was a lackluster one touchdown punt fest. T. Brady 21-35, 262 YDS, 1 INT J. Goff 19-38, 229 YDS, 1 INT Blah and Blah. If the Saints are not robbed of being in that game and Drew Brees beats Tom Brady head to head in the Superbowl winning Superbowl MVP as he did against Peyton Manning, the defining moment to argue to put Drew Brees above Tom Brady is imprinted in NFL history. Brees set the all time passing record this year and the all time accuracy record in a season. His passing statistics are incomparable. The Minnesota miracle very well have blocked Brees beating Brady in 2018 and this inexcusable no-call may have done it in 2019. That is the biggest tragedy from an historical sport perspective to me.

Yep this whole thing hurt Brees the most. He will always have the stats, but he had a chance to get vs Brady wins and rack up Super Bowls. 5 vs 3 SBs makes it so that you can argue. 6 vs 1 just aint the same.

Maybe we can go on a roll and win the next 3? (lulz)

Brees was never sniffing Brady with or without a SB this year. It's not close really. Now there are extenuating circumstances like better defenses, easier division, etc. But no one outside NOLA cares about any of that.

On the one hand I agree. But I have a lingering suspicion that even if Drew beats Brady in this past SB, there's just some people who will never put him over Brady. Even if he pulled out another SB win after THAT, I still don't think it convinces everyone.

This is going to be one of those debates that goes on forever.

Brees was never sniffing Brady with or without a SB this year. It's not close really. Now there are extenuating circumstances like better defenses, easier division, etc. But no one outside NOLA cares about any of that.

I have to agree. The dude has six rings... hard to argue...

If Drew made it last year and this one and won both, he'd be 2-0 vs Brady. At 5v3 there'd be an argument. Especially due to the 2-0 vs Brady. But I agree at 6 v 1, Brees can't really do anything outside of win the next 3 Super Bowls all against Brady to even have a chance at the argument.

6 SBs is nuts.

To me the biggest thing would have been beating both Brady and Manning head to head in Super Bowls

Brees & coach Payton’s legacies were both screwed w/by that crooked no call. Drew & Payton both couldve/wouldve got that second title, thus all but cementing them as HOFers. Drew’s pretty much already locked as a 1st ballot guy. But regardless of what we think, Sean Payton’s spot in the Hall is kind of up for debate. That second SB trip/win, which we were robbed of, wouldve prob strengthened his case immensely. That no call 100% threw some shade on Drew’s legacy, but in my opinion, Sean Payton was the one that it dirtied the most.

I'm as big of a fan of Brees as anyone on this board, but how could he surpass nine SB appearances and six SB wins? I know people on this board hate Brady, but the man has always been clutch. I'm guessing some people here enjoyed what he did to Atlanta. This is just reality.

It's not just Brady. I had to accept what Montana did to my Saints when I was a kid and admit he was one of the best ever.

Last edited:
Stats say it all, and the defense was abysmal for drew for years... can’t say the same about Brady.

Attachments

• 9CCBB5C1-630C-496D-BEE6-F4905E9C1827.png
    9CCBB5C1-630C-496D-BEE6-F4905E9C1827.png
    517.9 KB · Views: 8
  • B870EDF8-BB20-4D16-B528-ACFCABEBFC44.png
    B870EDF8-BB20-4D16-B528-ACFCABEBFC44.png
    525.2 KB · Views: 8
The greatest can always be debated but being 2-1 in the NFC Championship game with 2 SB wins looks a whole lot better than 1-2 in the NFC and 1 SB Win.

Stats say it all, and the defense was abysmal for drew for years... can’t say the same about Brady.

Been saying this for awhile now. “Better defenses” that Brady had is drastically understating it.

Brady has had a top-10 scoring defense 15 out of 18 years (83.3% of his career).

Brady has had an elite, top-5 scoring defense for 7 years out of 18 (38.9% of his career).

Brady has had the #1 or #2 defense 4 years of 18 (22.2% of his career).

Meanwhile Brees in New Orleans has had a top-10 scoring defense only 3 times and only one top-5 defense.

Brees also has been weighed down by defenses that were ranked bottom-5 in scoring 4 times and ranked bottom-10 6 times.

All the while Brady has never played opposite of a defense ranked lower than 17th in points. Brees has done it 7 times in New Orleans alone.

I’m sorry, I don’t care how many Super Bowls you win, your legacy is questionable when you’ve played more than 80% of your career with a top-10 defense, nearly 40% with an elite top-5 defense, and a defense ranked 1st or 2nd for more than 20% of your career.

That’s without even getting into the Spygate and Deflategate scandals and the fact that a career backup took his team to an 11-5 record in 2008 when he went down in Week 1.

Saints record without Brees: 0-3
Patriots record without Brady: 14-6

People are going to pound the table that “he’s the GOAT” when he’s had 3 backups post a .700 win percentage in his absence? Um, no.

brady got 6 superbowl rings. There is really nothing to debate. He is the goat. Drew most of us would say top 5 definitely maybe top 3. There have been a lot of great QB's in football.

You are not considering the Belichick factor, he would probably prepare the best defense the Brees have ever faced in life, with great chances of limiting our attack as he limited the excellent Rams.
Would certainly be a game of few points, more than 3, but few.

If 2011 and 2018 turned out like it should and had Brees beaten Brady now twice in super bowls, then yes the discussion for goat between Brees and Brady would be happening in earnest as we speak.

And then there is 2017. Who knows how that turns out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom