The Birth of an Era: What an Experience! (1 Viewer)

Still can't believe I turned down a ticket THREE times, didn't want to take two days off. Living in San Antonio at the time, and a friend was sponsoring a golf outing that day. Never forget where I was (8th tee, The Republic) when a friend called me and said "downtown NO is shut down, everyone is partying in the street on Poydras" and I knew I screwed up. Forgive me.

I was a new college student for this game. Before this, i was too busy being a highschooler, and not paying attention to football at all (albeit, i was always somewhat a saints fan as my dad would always bring me as a kid, and those were some of my fondest memories with him). Anyway, this game was literally the first time I intentionally sat down, grabbed snacks and a beer, and 'watched' a Saints game. It had to be this game! My parents had season tickets so they were there, i went to thier house and watched it by myself. Looking back on that night, it was like an awakening, and epiphany, a perfect storm. Knowing how much fun my parents were having at the dome, in that atmosphere, watching the saints play like a GOOD football team, and witnessing a literally rebirth of a basically dead franchise and city; it was tattooed on my soul ever since. When im cremated, like my dad before me, itll be in a Saints shirt ( i guess i better put that in my will...). This night was the birth of the true fan in me, and ill never forget it. Thanks for sharing this.

1555BB97-A90E-432A-B5E4-5D4AFA0C2E99.jpegAnd $140 season tickets!
Ah, yes. I was in that number as well that night :) Section 645, Row 14, Seats 11, 12 and 13, the seats I had from 2003 through 2010.

Until the NFCCG vs. the Vikings three years later, thst was indeed the most emotional game I’d ever attended. An arena pretty much destroyed just a year earlier was at moment THE place to be in the sports world.

Also, the reason our tickets were so low back then was the veritable fire sale the Saints had in place for the 2003 season. My first season’s total package was just $150, just a smidge more than yours. I’ve always chalked that up to the way the ‘02 season ended. The taste in many of our mouths was quite sour back then.

I was a new college student for this game. Before this, i was too busy being a highschooler, and not paying attention to football at all (albeit, i was always somewhat a saints fan as my dad would always bring me as a kid, and those were some of my fondest memories with him). Anyway, this game was literally the first time I intentionally sat down, grabbed snacks and a beer, and 'watched' a Saints game. It had to be this game! My parents had season tickets so they were there, i went to thier house and watched it by myself. Looking back on that night, it was like an awakening, and epiphany, a perfect storm. Knowing how much fun my parents were having at the dome, in that atmosphere, watching the saints play like a GOOD football team, and witnessing a literally rebirth of a basically dead franchise and city; it was tattooed on my soul ever since. When im cremated, like my dad before me, itll be in a Saints shirt ( i guess i better put that in my will...). This night was the birth of the true fan in me, and ill never forget it. Thanks for sharing this.
Great story . Well described. Thanks for sharing.

"Winning is an attitude".

Somebody tell me if I'm remembering this correctly.....

The details are a bit jumbled in my head, but hopefully I can trigger someone's memory....

I'm remembering a commercial that would have aired in preseason, where someone was shaving in the mirror. It was either Joe Horn or Donte' Stallworth.

IF it was Stallworth, then Horn came along and corrected him on the shaving technique. If it was Horn doing the shaving, then maybe Payton came along and said something like that to him? Anyway, I feel like I remember the tagline at the end being "Winning is an attitude".

Of course, I could very well be mixing something up from the Haslett Era preseason commercials.

Here you go, @Icon. Good memory.

This was one of the season ticket commercials run in 2006. I believe Rita Benson LeBlanc developed this publicity campaign.

The Saint’s 2006-2007 season was memorable for lifetime fans, as well as new additions to the bandwagon, and the year also marked a season ticket and luxury suite sellout for the Saints. The team’s successful strategies earned a 2006 Marketer of the Year award from the American Marketing Association and a 2007 MAX award for the “Winning is An Attitude” advertising campaign. “I predict another exciting season for Saints fans,” LeBlanc says. “Each year we prepare for a championship season by providing the support the team needs both on and off the field. These young men have the best facilities, dynamic coaches, outstanding fan support and the passion for greatness.”

SOURCE:

Last edited:
Mine were $50. Now they’re like…$150

Here you go, @Icon. Good memory.

This was one of the season ticket commercials run in 2006. I believe Rita Benson LeBlanc developed this publicity campaign.

SOURCE:

I don't remember that cheerleading one at all.....but I'm going to assume there were multiple commercials like this, where he was giving various tips to people associated with the team? After seeing this, I'm convinced the commercial I remember was him giving a shaving tip to Horn.

Section 611 here. Growing up my parents had season tickets so I had my initiation into Saints football during the Bum Phillips years. Fast forward to 2006. I had just started a new job in July 2006 and one of the guys in training with me was also a huge Saints fan. We were at lunch one day and both mentioned how awesome it would be to have season tickets that year. Out office was in the Elmwood area close to the Saints facility on Airline Drive. The next day on a whim we decided to take a drive there and buy season tickets instead of getting lunch. Best decision ever! We had them for 2006 and 2007. Unfortunately, life sometimes happens and in 2008, my buddy moved away due to a better work opportunity and my wife and I had our second child. We gave up the tickets. Fortunatel, another friend of mine has tickets and I do get to go to a couple of games a year. I’m on the waiting list but haven’t gotten a call for tickets other than premium seats that are just too expensive considering I still have one child in high school that I pay tuition for. One day I will have season tickets again though. One day.

I was there and have that stub somewhere. Section 114, aisle seat, 50 yard line section. We saw the Monday Night Football crew at MSY on our way out the next day. Spoke with Chris Berman. I asked him if that's the loudest crowd he had ever heard...he said it was "pretty loud" but didn't seem all that impressed. Ron Jaworski was on our plane back to Philly. He was kind of a jerk. The NFL Films crew was awesome. The said that the whole experience was very special. Lots of Pelican Cases with those guys.

Funny thing, the MNF crew were all flying commercial. I wonder if they fly private now?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom