'The Boys' new Amazon series coming in July... (5 Viewers)

It looks like the show is headed in the direction getting the audience to somewhat sympathize with Homelander - i.e., he is total butt crevasse because thats how he was "programmed" by the system (Vought).
Well, they’re setting stormfront up as the arch villain, so the easy things to do would be have HL be the unwitting dupe or the redemptive hero
And I don’t see The Boys interested in the redemptive thing

It seems 100% clear she was Liberty. They stated it clearly. The only thing I guess they could do is to present her as Liberty's child and that's why they look alike. They did say Liberty = Stormfront though.

I don't think they are trying to set it up that we should have sympathy for Homelander, but I do think they may be setting up a situation where he's the lesser of 2 evils between him and Stormfront.

I agree I didn't want to say it because of the potential spoiler and didn't know how to do spoiler tags and I guess what I did say probably counts as a spoiler anyway. But looking at yours I now know and will fix it.

Last edited:
He’s the classic bully. He enjoys exhibiting power over people but doesn’t know what to do when people stand up to him. He wants blurry face people to like him no matter what and the people in his immediate circle are only tools to achieve that.

Instead of wanting to be a world hero, he only wants to be a hero to America.

---MOD EDIT: We know where that comparison will lead.---
While I struggled with the 1to1 comparison - and even though the comic was written in 2007 - it clearly has ‘ripped from today’s headlines’ elements to it
It’s a sociopolitical parody (and I actually wish is was more of a parody), but I don’t see how keeping the conversation politics-free is going to be possible

that being said, I was listening to someone discuss the show in relation to race; and he thought they weren’t going to travel down the race rabbit hole too much bc the show likes to use shock satire. His point was ‘how much more can they do than what’s actually happening presently?’

it was a sobering question

Lol. Of course you do.

What god doesn't lay on mommy's lap and talk things out? What god wouldn't let Storm Front talk to him like that? What god wouldn't feel the need to explain how woke the 7 are to Maria Menounos? What god wouldn't be concerned about the media image of the 7 if A-Train was only in the top 20 of fastest Supes or if the media didn't think they were woke?
A "god" whos flawed because he's a malignant narcissist with mommy issues.
Look, I get it you disagree. So what? I've already laid it out to you. Not sure why you think someone with a god complex CAN'T be flawed.

Homelander literally refers to himself as a god. He kills at will. He literally thinks HE is the Seven and that it's ALL about him. You don't think he has a god complex, I think that he does. Don't know what else to tell you.

Another great episode. They release them around 11 PM on Thursday and I have a really early meeting on Friday, so these are hard days right now. :hihi:

Alright.

When Stormfront told Homelander “let me know when you want me”, I think she chose that word very intentionally. Her calling out Starlight solidified this for me - SF knows some stuff.

Going way out on a limb - I wouldn’t be surprised if her actual power was some kind of Rogue ability where she siphoned powers. This being The Boys, I’m sure it involves either having the supe surrender powers, or a kill. She’s just been collecting them over the years, and HL is the jackpot. Some sort of ability to read people being one of them.

THAT DUDE GOT HIS FACE RIPPED OFF

0% of me was going to be surprised if HL actually lasered that crowd

...and I really could have used an Aunt Judy translator for some of her phrases haha

I typed these as I was watching, I promise I typed #1 before the end. Maybe that’s the catch with my #2

I may have mentioned this before, but I really appreciate how shows are really starting to embrace music.

It's going to be weird when they find out they need Homelander to take down Stormfront.

During filming of the movie Mave walks up while HL is reading the script. She’s unhappy with the scene she just shot and HO says “Don’t you love this Joss rewrite?” :LOL:

Thanks. Went back and saw it. Would've been funnier if I caught it the first time around.

To me, this episode spelled out HL's mental problems. Falcone (don't remember his character's name in this, sorry) basically laid it out for us when he told HL he should been given to a family instead of being raised like a lab rat.
HL desperately needs love and affection, the thing he never received at any point in his childhood. Because of that, he is completely self-absorbed, has no empathy for others, and seeks worship from the masses because he doesn't even have a concept of what his mental and physical attentive needs truly are. As such, he is amoral rather than immoral: he doesn't believe there is a right or wrong, certainly not that applies to him. If someone does something that pleases him, it's right; if it's something that doesn't please him, it's wrong. All of this stems from his lack of any love given him as a child.
Interesting to note that's almost the text-book definition of a G-d complex:
"Narcissistic Personality Disorder, the proper term for someone who has a "G-d Complex" is a rare mental disorder characterized by an inflated sense of self-importance, entitlement, a deep need for admiration, and an alarming lack of empathy for other people."

Stormfront isn't much different, except that she's smarter than he is. HL isn't very bright, which is why some people can play him so easily despite his daunting powers.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom