'The Boys' new Amazon series coming in July... (1 Viewer)

I'm really glad yall brought up that gills scene. I haven't had such a visceral reaction to a scene like that since Ace Ventura poked his own eyeball

I don't want to get too heavy, but the reason it made us so uncomfortable is because he was being raped. Men being raped is always sort of a joke (like "yeah I'd let her rape me"). Here they really flipped it on us. She was in a position of power and control (which is what rape is about), and forcing herself on him. He kept telling her to stop and that it hurt. That just made her do it more. The scene did a great job of trying to make men see what it's like for the victim of a rape.
I am NOT disagreeing with you but for me I am uncomfortable when I see anything suffer. It makes me squirm when I see people or animals suffering in pain (except for parasites and roaches) and I am particularly sensitive to women suffering. Ever since I was a boy, if I saw a tv show or movie where a woman in childbirth with blood everywhere, the idea of her being in pain made my stomach hurt. So, while a man being raped may be the reason some are uncomfortable, I just don't like watching people suffer.

I am NOT disagreeing with you but for me I am uncomfortable when I see anything suffer. It makes me squirm when I see people or animals suffering in pain (except for parasites and roaches) and I am particularly sensitive to women suffering. Ever since I was a boy, if I saw a tv show or movie where a woman in childbirth with blood everywhere, the idea of her being in pain made my stomach hurt. So, while a man being raped may be the reason some are uncomfortable, I just don't like watching people suffer.
The show must have been really hard for you to watch. Suffering and abuse of power are the show's set pieces.

The gills scene didn't make me squirm because of the sexual abuse aspect. It made me squirm because some gruesome looking man gills were getting fisted. He said it hurt but he could've easily thrown her off of him if it hurt that bad. I think it was a situation where it "hurt so good".

It just looked so realistic. The last time I remember a scene making my skin crawl like that was in the movie V/H/S. The "Second Honeymoon" where the guy gets stabbed in the neck. It was so visceral and it got me good.

Putting on my Watch List....Do I need to be a comic book/super hero guy to be able to follow it?

I've never read the source material and I loved it.

The gills scene didn't make me squirm because of the sexual abuse aspect. It made me squirm because some gruesome looking man gills were getting fisted. He said it hurt but he could've easily thrown her off of him if it hurt that bad. I think it was a situation where it "hurt so good".

I got the impression that he didn't like it at all, and he absolutely wanted her to stop, but he felt weird about forcing her off. Maybe he didn't want to appear weak, that he "couldn't take it". Or maybe deep (heh) down, he felt like he deserved it after what he did to Starlight. I think he is in a state of self-reflection and is finally seeing himself for the P.O.S. that he was/is (the rejection to go back home, cutting his hair off, etc).

Last edited:
I love it....my one gripe had to do with the ending. I get that Butcher is a fairly smart guy driven by revenge....but *THAT* was his plan??

I thought it was a good, not great show. Glad I watched it, but thought the acting was a little over the top sometimes. Not corny, but a little too much basic cable if that makes sense. Every episode had something that made you go woah! However, the show was not in the same class as the Batman trilogy.

I thought it was a good, not great show. Glad I watched it, but thought the acting was a little over the top sometimes. Not corny, but a little too much basic cable if that makes sense. Every episode had something that made you go woah! However, the show was not in the same class as the Batman trilogy.

It's not meant to be.

Dude, you're comparing apples to automobiles. That's like saying "Star Wars was pretty good but it's nowhere is good as the silk sheets".

I understand that it’s not supposed to be the same, just thought it was 7/10, not a 9 or a 10. However, I don’t watch all of the Marvel movies etc, so I’m probably not the right target group. I liked the idea behind it, and how religion was viewed just thought that the acting was ok.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom