"The Brady Protection Rules" (1 Viewer)

AceTW

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I've been reading up on the new "QB" protection rules, as well as seeing them played out in action on the field, and I've developed a few questions and observations about it all.

Let me preface this post with this, I don't disagree that the quarterback position needs at least one rule (roughing the passer) to protect the position. But this new stuff...

a) I honestly believe that if a non "superstar" had gotten his knee twisted out of joint, this year's new rules would've never been put in place. That kinda irks me. (Yes, I know it's supposition on my part, but I really believe it's true.) All QBs are equally valuable to their respective teams, regardless of whether or not they play at a probowl level or not. But if the NFL stands to lose a dime because of an issue, rectification soon follows.

b) The wildly inconsistent nature of the rules as to how they're called on the field tells me that these rules are simply not 'good'. Defensive linemen, linebackers and sometimes safetys and CBs get paid to sack the quarterback or at the very least get their hands above his head, in his face or just in front of him to keep him from making a pass. Having to take decades of accepted training on how to do this and toss it out the window is ludicrous.

c) It's been said recently that
"When he's in the pocket, he's a player that's not looking at defensive players coming at him; he's looking downfield at his receivers," Pereira said. "And in many cases, he's planting and throwing and has been put in an awkward position and, really, not suited to take a blow."
And I say that quarterbacks for DECADES have been watching, listening and 'feeling' the defensive play around themselves, and there's no reason that should change. I guess my feeling about that comment is "If you're not paying attention to the 3-8 guys coming at you who's job it is to knock you down, you need to find other work.".

d) I wonder how long it'll be before some hot-rod, bad attitude behemoth of a pass rusher gets called a couple of times for "touching the quarterback" and decides "Well, if I'm gonna get fined anyway, I might as well put a hurt on this pretty-boy." I see it coming.....

e) And before any of you Negative Nancy's start up.. Yes, I would feel the EXACT same way if it was Drew Brees getting whacked around or injured. (But fortunately, he's not. :) )

Yeh this is crazy. The quaterbacks wear pads too and they are injury prone just like any other player in the league. It is not fair to the defense and is ruining games. I think it was a year or two when in a NYG/Titan game a defender had the quaterback sacked and stopped before tackling him thinking it would be called dead and not wanting a roughing penalty. However the whistle never blew and the quaterback rolled out and threw the winning touchdown. That is not fair. This needs to be changed. This is tackle football not flag. Cheap shots are obvious and should be called. But aggressive hard play should not.

I don't mind the rule. I just think it's stupid that NFL QB rules revolve around Tom Brady. There were several QB's who've had knee injuries lately before him, including Carson Palmer in 2007, and noone changed the rules for him.

You are correct, there is a definately distinction between a glancing hit after the defender tried to swat the ball down and when he purposely goes for the QB. If the NFL wants the QB's to be pansies, then there should at least be a 5 and 15 yard variety like running into the kicker and roughing the kicker. But IMO a QB is as much of a football player as anyone else and if they can't take the hits then they are in the wrong line of work

I don't mind the rule. I just think it's stupid that NFL QB rules revolve around Tom Brady. There were several QB's who've had knee injuries lately before him, including Carson Palmer in 2007, and noone changed the rules for him.

Part of the entire point of the post. Thanks! :)

And Brady became Brady because Bledsoe got knocked out for the season. Who knows how many more Bradys there really are waiting in the wings, and a qb injury is all it'll take to have a new face to the league.

When the NFL starts making football players play at half speed to avoid contact and penaltys it ruins the game and will result in more injuries.

It's definitely worthy of discussion.
The helmet taps that result in 15 yard roughing the passer penalties are ridiculous, IMO.

Personally think the QB rules are disgusting. QB takes a risk and it's his primary job to manage that risk by taking one for the team or not when he's about to get sacked. It's complete BS! I've already seen bad calls more often than not. This is already a pass happy league and now it is even more pass happy. Give QBs any more protection and there will be no point in running. I guarantee you this year will have more scoring than any other. I also guarantee with rules like this, many passing records will continue to fall.
:rant:

I wonder how long it'll be before they put "Tap Pads" on the QB's gear that go off anytime they're touched. (Resulting in an immediate 15 yd flag, of course.)

Or maybe a pretty pair of bright orange flags hanging from his hips. Snazzy, right?

:angryrazz:

I don't know that the rules are that bad. I think sometimes the players get caught up in the play and sometimes it's obvious that there was no intent or way to stop their motion and they get flagged, but it happens to everyone (i.e. Hargrove) and good teams overcome the problems. It's almost impossible to keep these judgment calls consistent.

Baltimore really got screwed and the NFL didn't exactly back the roughing calls. What Pereira said was they have to back the officials on judgment calls, but didn't comment on if the flags should have been thrown. Usually, there is a fine if it appears intentional.

But, I will also say that Baltimore has been a cheap shot team for years so I have no pity on them. Watching the Pittsburgh/Baltimore playoff game last year was nothing but a battle of cheap shots. It started this thread:

http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100216

You know... I would feel a lot better about it if there was a rule in place to review the calls and fine the refs if they get it wrong. Why all the double standard stuff?

Let us not forget that it was one of these "Tom Brady" rules ("The tuck rule") that saved Drew Brees from having a costly turnover in the Detroit game.

And, in spite of all this, QBs still get injured by legal tackles (Hasselbeck) and without being touched at all (Manning).

Defensive physicality is being effectively removed from the game.

Palmer had LITERALLY the exact same thing that happened to Brady in the first game happen to him in a PLAYOFF game that the Bengals lost to the Steelers and no one made a rule...interesting...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom