The bravery of Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (1 Viewer)

SaintInBucLand

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Sticky Post
It may not be a popular opinion here, but I believe Governor Ralph Northam is brave by his support of Representative Kathy Tran. I believe he is brave because there is no doubt the right will try to vilify him and he had no doubt they would(and which they currently are at the posting of this). He is standing up for a woman's right to choose no matter what may be said about him, and that takes character and bravery.

Bill linked here: http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?191+sum+HB2491

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/31/politics/ralph-northam-third-trimester-abortion/index.html

Northam is a pediatric neurosurgeon and can speak intelligently on this subject, we should defer to his expertise.

Last edited:

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You gave this as an example of blackface, otherwise why would you even post it?

I asked a pretty simple question, and you haven’t yet answered. Do you think there is any difference between what Behar did and what the governor did?

Also, I listened to the clip and didn’t hear the word blackface at all. And WaPo didn’t call what Behar did blackface either.

Here’s what WaPo said:

“The photo, which shows the comedian dressed as what she called “a beautiful African woman,” was seen several years ago during an episode of the morning show. But after an editor from the Wrap posted a clip from the show on Twitter on Wednesday, it renewed a debate about whether Behar was expressing admiration or whether she should have faced consequences like people who have worn blackface.”

The key missing word is “other”. They didn’t say she should have faced consequences like “other” people who wore blackface. Because they don’t think she was in blackface.

So my question remains, but I will understand if you choose again to not answer it.

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Again, I can't help but notice that the people that have stood silent and/or rushed to defend Brett Kavanaugh, Roy Moore, Donald Trump, Steven Miller, the Muslim ban, shirthole countries, "grab em by the pursey," attacking black people peacefully protesting injustice, "good people" on both sides of a white supremacist rally, and "bringing rapists and criminals," have suddenly found their moral compass and a surprisingly strong interest on race and sexual assault issues when the matter involves a few Democrats?

So if you were in the Kavanaugh thread trolling the libs for being overly concerned, or defending not holding a thorough investigation, or finding every angle to call it fake news or entirely politically motivated as your first reaction, or slamming Kap for having the audacity to put a knee down to protest injustice, or found yourself apathetic to Steve King for years, spend your days concerning yourself more with the occasional overreach in accusations of racism by the left than condemning actual racism on your side as well, forgive me if I think your concern and criticism is entirely insincere and not worth even the minimal bandwidth it takes to place those words on this message board.

At this point Northam should resign, Norment should be right with him, Fairfax should be investigated fully - in the way Republicans denied for Kavanaugh - and that seems to be echoed throughout the party. Which frankly, is an order of magnitude more than I have ever seen from the side most of you are caucusing with. So perhaps if you want to be taken seriously, start actually stepping up to the moral plate when the condemnation is less tribally advantageous.

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So this is blackface? It’s the same as the photo in the yearbook? You’re really going with that assertion?

AB2F7739-7506-4AAD-ABBE-DE6B9C14F94E.png
I guess we both are old enough to remember when a lot of women looked like that because it was fashionable? Surely it can be seen as culture appropriation by today's standards, but that's not even close to blackface. At one point my mom, her cousins, friends, they all looked like that. Curly hair, sort mimicking an afro, tanned...

Now, why would Behar made the comment she made, I don't know.

BobE

Now with Covfefe
Reaction score
and the beat goes on...………(sorry if already posted cant read tweets at work)
A woman said Friday she was raped by Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax (D) in a “premeditated and aggressive” assault in 2000, while they both were undergraduate students at Duke University.

Through her attorney, Meredith Watson said she shared her account of sexual assault immediately after it happened with several classmates, who have provided statements. Her lawyer also said she shared her account with friends in a string of emails and Facebook messages.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/second-woman-accuses-va-lt-gov-justin-fairfax-of-sexual-assault/ar-BBTlXJt?ocid=spartanntp

farfromsilent

Rookie
Reaction score
Again, I can't help but notice that the people that have stood silent and/or rushed to defend Brett Kavanaugh, Roy Moore, Donald Trump, Steven Miller, the Muslim ban, shirthole countries, "grab em by the pursey," attacking black people peacefully protesting injustice, "good people" on both sides of a white supremacist rally, and "bringing rapists and criminals," have suddenly found their moral compass and a surprisingly strong interest on race and sexual assault issues when the matter involves a few Democrats?

So if you were in the Kavanaugh thread trolling the libs for being overly concerned, or defending not holding a thorough investigation, or finding every angle to call it fake news or entirely politically motivated as your first reaction, or slamming Kap for having the audacity to put a knee down to protest injustice, or found yourself apathetic to Steve King for years, spend your days concerning yourself more with the occasional overreach in accusations of racism by the left than condemning actual racism on your side as well, forgive me if I think your concern and criticism is entirely insincere and not worth even the minimal bandwidth it takes to place those words on this message board.

At this point Northam should resign, Norment should be right with him, Fairfax should be investigated fully - in the way Republicans denied for Kavanaugh - and that seems to be echoed throughout the party. Which frankly, is an order of magnitude more than I have ever seen from the side most of you are caucusing with. So perhaps if you want to be taken seriously, start actually stepping up to the moral plate when the condemnation is less tribally advantageous.
I haven't said anything condemning the Lt. Governor. I am waiting for more information to come out. Just like I did with Kavanaugh. At the same time, all of the democrats who said you should believe all women, should be consistent as well.

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I guess we both are old enough to remember when a lot of women looked like that because it was fashionable? Surely it can be seen as culture appropriation by today's standards, but that's not even close to blackface. At one point my mom, her cousins, friends, they all looked like that. Curly hair, sort mimicking an afro, tanned...

Now, why would Behar made the comment she made, I don't know.
And women do change the shade of their makeup, the color of their hair, etc. yes, I’m definitely old enough to remember when that look was very “in”.

To compare that look to blackface is just straight up trolling. And ridiculous, IMO. This is blackface, and anyone who can’t see the difference is a troll.

CAAAC9DA-B935-4C29-B26A-1C0DCF804033.jpeg

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Who is Hope?

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, I just figured BobE knew, and was being lazy.

rob22278

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
And women do change the shade of their makeup, the color of their hair, etc. yes, I’m definitely old enough to remember when that look was very “in”.

To compare that look to blackface is just straight up trolling. And ridiculous, IMO. This is blackface, and anyone who can’t see the difference is a troll.

CAAAC9DA-B935-4C29-B26A-1C0DCF804033.jpeg
So the Chicago Tribune and Time magazine are trolls? Good to know.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/tv/ct-ent-joy-behar-blackface-the-view-20190207-story.html
['The View' host Joy Behar under fire for use of blackface/QUOTE]

http://time.com/5524710/joy-behar-blackface-scandal/
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.952941)]Joy Behar Under Fire After Photo of Her in Blackface Resurfaces[/COLOR]​

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
No, you’re trolling with this. And the Chicago Tribune piece discusses blackface but says she is being criticized for wearing makeup a shade or two darker than her normal. And the other link is the exact same article, same author, everything.

Honest question, rob: what are you trying to accomplish here?

You’ve never answered my simple question. Do you think what she did is the same as what the Va governor did? Or the same thing as any blackface that was done extensively during Jim Crow times?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom