The bravery of Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (1 Viewer)

SaintInBucLand

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Sticky Post
It may not be a popular opinion here, but I believe Governor Ralph Northam is brave by his support of Representative Kathy Tran. I believe he is brave because there is no doubt the right will try to vilify him and he had no doubt they would(and which they currently are at the posting of this). He is standing up for a woman's right to choose no matter what may be said about him, and that takes character and bravery.

Bill linked here: http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?191+sum+HB2491

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/31/politics/ralph-northam-third-trimester-abortion/index.html

Northam is a pediatric neurosurgeon and can speak intelligently on this subject, we should defer to his expertise.

Last edited:

brandon8283

Probably a drive-by
Reaction score
Fellow libs...

There sure is a lot of equivocating in this thread from the blue side of the aisle. Frankly, all of the “you can’t talk about racism because you never talk about it until a Democrat does something” is the same whataboutism that we decry from conservatives all the time. It’s a poor argument.

Further, the Behar picture is black face and she should have to deal with the consequences of that poor decision. It’s not on the same level as the photo in the yearbook, but it’s still pretty bad. And seeing as both of those are people from our side of the aisle, I don’t know that the distinction matters all that much.

We don’t have the moral authority to call out racism, double standards, equivocation, and whataboutism if we are going to use the same tactics when one of ours fails.

Are the conservatives on TV and in this thread being ridiculously hypocritical on this issue? Certainly. But we don’t get to point that out by being hypocrites ourselves.

Carry on.

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Fellow libs...

There sure is a lot of equivocating in this thread from the blue side of the aisle. Frankly, all of the “you can’t talk about racism because you never talk about it until a Democrat does something” is the same whataboutism that we decry from conservatives all the time. It’s a poor argument.

Further, the Behar picture is black face and she should have to deal with the consequences of that poor decision. It’s not on the same level as the photo in the yearbook, but it’s still pretty bad. And seeing as both of those are people from our side of the aisle, I don’t know that the distinction matters all that much.

We don’t have the moral authority to call out racism, double standards, equivocation, and whataboutism if we are going to use the same tactics when one of ours fails.

Are the conservatives on TV and in this thread being ridiculously hypocritical on this issue? Certainly. But we don’t get to point that out by being hypocrites ourselves.

Carry on.
That’s not whataboutism, and it’s not hypocrisy to point out that a majority of the conservatives posting in here have not once demonstrated an ounce of concern about racial issues in society or concern over sexual assault unless it is conveniently alligning along their tribal faultlines.

You’re right, credibility requires moral and ethical consistency, along with honesty, and pointing that out about those failing to adhere to it is only hypocritical or deflectionary if you and others are not adhering to those standards or if your intent is to deflect the conversation. None of which I have seen so far from any left-leaning poster or the party writ large.

Last edited:

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Brandon we’ll just have to agree to disagree. Women manipulate their appearance all the time, society dang near demands it. If we go along with the false equivalency that what she did was actually “blackface” then we are ignoring several salient facts about both what she did and what blackface is actually all about.

You can quibble about her changing her appearance for a costume party, but that in no way approaches what black face is. Are we going to start calling out women who straighten their hair or get it permed to achieve curls they don’t naturally get? What about changing their hair color?

This whole “issue” is a ploy from a right wing troll site (The Blaze) and I’m not going to fall in that trap. And I don’t feel the least bit hypocritical. Actual blackface is malignant in its intent.

billinms

Tiptoeing Through the Tulips
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
She changed the color of her skin to look like a black woman. Was it as disrespectful as putting shoe polish on her face? Of course not. But it's also very different from getting a perm.

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I’m sure she wishes she didn’t do it. But I certainly remember tanning beds and women everywhere desperately trying to deepen the shade of their skin. Do we have to call that out too? Because that’s been around since I was a kid.

I just feel for someone getting called out for putting on makeup that is darker than her normal shade. Are we seriously going to equate that with blackface?

It’s not the same, and we do everyone a disservice by painting with such a broad brush. (Sorry for the bad punnage). 😱

billinms

Tiptoeing Through the Tulips
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I think the problem lies in intent. She was dressing as a black woman. I also wouldn't call out hunters who wear black makeup at night.

Reaction score
This "cultural appropriation" crap has gone too far. I see nothing wrong with Joy Behar dressing up as a lightskinned black woman for fun. Nothing wrong with Michael Jackson, moonwalking costumes. We all admired him and bought his Thriller album. How is a white person to dress up like him, unless they darken their skin??
This is not "blackface", like the one politician had in his yearbook, next to the kkk dresser. He looked like a caricature of the lawn jockey. Clearly offensive, at best.
Full disclosure, im white, and as a kid, we had to make our own Halloween costumes. 1960s. I went as a gypsy one year, a hobo another year, and also considered Aunt Jemima because she was so easily recognizable with the apron. I didn't know how to darken my face. Shoe polish, eh? Not sure why this could've been so offensive. Glad I never was in politics.

farfromsilent

Rookie
Reaction score
I can truly see how blackface is considered a bigoted thing as it denigrates people of color. I honestly never thought about it much until this situation, because I never had any friends who did it and I never watched any pop culture movies that did it.

This is a serious question. Is this on the same level as blackface?

Edit: I take that back. Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder was a movie I saw it in. In full disclosure, he was brilliant in that movie.

Attachments

Last edited:

brandon8283

Probably a drive-by
Reaction score
That list has nothing to do with the picture of Baher.

I'll go tell my mom she wore blackface for the first part of the 1970's.
She wasn’t darkening her skin because she wanted to look more tan.

She was darkening her skin because she wanted to look like a “beautiful black woman.”

How is that different from the guy who dressed up as Tiger Woods at a church gathering or the girl who dressed up as Crazy Eyes from OITNB for Halloween?

Neither of those were with malicious intent. Yet, they are both on the list.

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So, this list is the end all? Just use some common sense. It serves no purpose to lump stuff like what Behar did in with the true blackface.

It’s simple common sense. When you categorize dressing as a Jamaican bobsledder for Halloween as the same as dressing up as a runaway slave with a man in KKK garb you are diluting the racism.

You’re going to have people going, well, there’s nothing wrong with what the governor did after all.

brandon8283

Probably a drive-by
Reaction score
So, this list is the end all? Just use some common sense. It serves no purpose to lump stuff like what Behar did in with the true blackface.

It’s simple common sense. When you categorize dressing as a Jamaican bobsledder for Halloween as the same as dressing up as a runaway slave with a man in KKK garb you are diluting the racism.

You’re going to have people going, well, there’s nothing wrong with what the governor did after all.
There is no context where a white person dressing up as a black person by darkening their skin is acceptable because of the historical implications related to blackface.

Oye

Board Man
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think it's pretty clear it was blackface. And if it's meant to be racially derogatory, preying on racial stereotypes - esp to elicit a cheap laugh at the racist gag - then it shouldn't be done in the first place, and if done, should be apologized for in a sincere way. It's also possible that the intent can be benign, but tone deaf and still preying on these stereotypical generalizations and still over the line and inappropriate.

There is no context where a white person dressing up as a black person by darkening their skin is acceptable because of the historical implications related to blackface.
However, I also don't think that every instance of 'blackface' is necessarily derogatory and racist - Tropic Thunder and 30 Rock are two examples in this thread that I think fall under this category.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom