The bravery of Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (1 Viewer)

SaintInBucLand

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Sticky Post
It may not be a popular opinion here, but I believe Governor Ralph Northam is brave by his support of Representative Kathy Tran. I believe he is brave because there is no doubt the right will try to vilify him and he had no doubt they would(and which they currently are at the posting of this). He is standing up for a woman's right to choose no matter what may be said about him, and that takes character and bravery.

Bill linked here: http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?191+sum+HB2491

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/31/politics/ralph-northam-third-trimester-abortion/index.html

Northam is a pediatric neurosurgeon and can speak intelligently on this subject, we should defer to his expertise.

Last edited:

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I admit I never finished it. Lee's stuff was wearing on me prior to that. But if you think it has particular relevance here, feel free to address it and enlighten the rest of us. And the ensuing blind spots as a result of text selection
i mean...it's not subtle
white tv exec calls out only black writer on his staff for being an oreo - he writes deliberately offensive tv pilot black guys doing black face minstrel show
of course they run with it and it gets hugely successful
then literally suffers

it's blunt, but it's also very entertaining and funny

Oye

running my mouth
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
i mean...it's not subtle
white tv exec calls out only black writer on his staff for being an oreo - he writes deliberately offensive tv pilot black guys doing black face minstrel show
of course they run with it and it gets hugely successful
then literally suffers

it's blunt, but it's also very entertaining and funny
well, I wasn't really talking about the subtlety of the piece - I think it's pretty explicit

I was more interested in the "apt"-ness you felt in the reference to Tropic Thunder instead of Bamboozled. Is it about missing it in this discussion specifically? Or nationally, the fact that one made 110 million while the other made 2 million?

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
well, I wasn't really talking about the subtlety of the piece - I think it's pretty explicit

I was more interested in the "apt"-ness you felt in the reference to Tropic Thunder instead of Bamboozled. Is it about missing it in this discussion specifically? Or nationally, the fact that one made 110 million while the other made 2 million?
If we are discussing informative and pertinent ‘contemporary’ uses of blackface, I consider black people discussing it in Bamboozled more apt than the white people discussing it inTropic Thunder

I’m not saying the conversation in TT is poirer
Just more limited

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
No, they weren't, they were slaves. Or at the very least, most of them were. Now, I'm not an expert on this very early era of Colonial American history(my expertise is mid 19th-mid 20th century German history and Reconstruction-era Southern History) but it was well known that many early Jamestown colonists had a difficult time farming and irritating the land, combined with greed, administrative ineptness and incompetence, and occasional conflicts with local Native American tribes, bringing in captured African slaves would be a cheaper, most cost-effective solution of working and tilling the fields, herding livestock, trained as domestic servants which a few of the first arrivals ended up in. But do not be fooled or misled, these first Africans who arrived in Jamestown in 1619 weren't guest workers or even indentured servants, they were probably captured by English raiders attacking Spanish or Portuguese treasure or cargo ships and taken either to English colonies or taken to England itself. Now, what we eventually would call the Middle Passage or the Slave Trade was in its infancy, so the process wasn't as clear cut or smooth or transparent as it evolved into about a century

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He has consistently hit the wrong notes about this issue.

I don’t think I’d have a problem with #3 guy. The one who voluntarily disclosed he dressed as a rapper for a Halloween party when he was 19 and apologized? IIRC. He might be okay. What say the Virginians on here?

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So he has no idea the difference between a slave and an indentured servant? I learned this in grade school. Here is it governor. An indentured servant is where a person pays for you to come to America (in the historical sense) then would work off his debt over the course of an agreed upon set of time (if I remember right somewhere around 7 years) at that time would then be free of their contract.

Slavery on the other hand is when someone is owned by another person, gets nompay for their work, and is never allowed their freedom.

Huge difference Governor.

billinms

Tiptoeing Through the Tulips
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
He has consistently hit the wrong notes about this issue.

I don’t think I’d have a problem with #3 guy. The one who voluntarily disclosed he dressed as a rapper for a Halloween party when he was 19 and apologized? IIRC. He might be okay. What say the Virginians on here?
I hear he's almost Behar like.

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
It appears that now Northam is going to take an ever stronger stance against confederate statues. Yeah, that will work.

Madmarsha

Love this team!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He keeps doubling down on really, at the very least, tone deaf "explanations".

"Oh, after I looked at it, I realized it wasn't me". It may be, it may not be, there's literally no way to tell by looking at the picture. But it means you know you HAVE done it so it really doesn't matter if that pic is you or not. And then claim that you've learned a lot while describing indentured servitude as slavery as a way of informing, demonstrating that you haven't learned anything at all.

I think eventually all 3 have to go. I just don't know how Virginia is going to sort it out.

Oye

running my mouth
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If we are discussing informative and pertinent ‘contemporary’ uses of blackface, I consider black people discussing it in Bamboozled more apt than the white people discussing it inTropic Thunder

I’m not saying the conversation in TT is poirer
Just more limited
will finish it, then - fair point

billinms

Tiptoeing Through the Tulips
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
The bigger outrage in Tropic Thunder was Tom Cruise in fatface.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom